Thread: Falco Rear Brake Binding advice?

apriliaforum newb

Falco Rear Brake Binding advice?

Hello all,

(Sorry, I know there's plenty of threads on Falco rear brakes but I can't find what I'm after)

I have a 2003 Falco (The Faster Red and Black Frame one!) and the rear brake caliper was binding. My mate is a car & bike mechanic and he fitted new rear pads for me but it is still the same, so I bought a rear caliper seals and piston kit, which he fitted on Saturday.

But It's still binding. The brake itself works fine in respect of stopping, I can lock the rear wheel if need be riding slowly, but when I push the bike around I can hear it dragging and when I got to work this morning the rear disc was too hot to touch.

When he did the rear caliper seals and pistons, he was quite thorough, giving the caliper a real good clean in petrol and using his compressor gun to blow out anything loose that may have been left and the seals were fitted correctly etc.

Any one come across this?

thanks in advance,

Robfm

apriliaforum expert ghostrider71's Avatar
    Bleeding the rear brake has ALWAYS been tricky on these bikes.

Lots of info on the forum on this, but in a nut shell - you need to get the air out of the lines, the slave AND Master.
    That's what's causing the binding.

Best, easiest trick, is to get your bleed reservoir HIGHER than the slave, so the air runs UP the line as you're bleeding.

Make certain you've cleared the line of all air bubbles, and then do it two or three more times (pumps) on the lever to be sure.
    You'll get it.

I saw a guy bleed his rear brake on a Tuono just before riding, and it locked up a mile from home.
    Ouch.
    Be careful and take your time.

gr
    Since it was highly recommended, I put THEGEEK on ignore and the forum IS a much nicer place!!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBFM1 View Post
    ...when I got to work this morning the rear disc was too hot to touch...
    Well, if you used it much before stopping it would be too hot to touch.

It sounds like you might have the rod between the pedal and master cylinder too tight. There needs to be free-play between the rod and the master cylinder piston. Factory spec is 0.5-1.0mm.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    Well, if you used it much before stopping it would be too hot to touch.

It sounds like you might have the rod between the pedal and master cylinder too tight. There needs to be free-play between the rod and the master cylinder piston. Factory spec is 0.5-1.0mm.

Thanks for the replies guys it's very much appreciated because mechanic wise I am far from savvy.

. I only ever use the rear brake if I'm stopped at lights or in very slow moving traffic, It's mainly the front brakes I use and I could touch those discs comfortably and I can hear the rear brake binding when freely trying to push the bike around, so logic tells me it's sticking. I'll mention what you say to my mate and see what he thinks. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider71 View Post
    Bleeding the rear brake has ALWAYS been tricky on these bikes.

Lots of info on the forum on this, but in a nut shell - you need to get the air out of the lines, the slave AND Master.
    That's what's causing the binding.

Best, easiest trick, is to get your bleed reservoir HIGHER than the slave, so the air runs UP the line as you're bleeding.

Make certain you've cleared the line of all air bubbles, and then do it two or three more times (pumps) on the lever to be sure.
    You'll get it.

I saw a guy bleed his rear brake on a Tuono just before riding, and it locked up a mile from home.
    Ouch.
    Be careful and take your time.

gr
    My mate, Alan, did raise the caliper quite high up to bleed it and we were pretty sure we'd bled the feck out of it, but maybe we ought to try it again to make sure.

Again, thank you both for your responses, it gives me something to go by.

kind regards,

Robfm

sounds like the freeplay at the lever as KZ said .. adjust asap
    please get in touch if you would like a modded collector,adjustable lock-stops or quick release tank and seat pins