Thread: Bike wont start, leaking fuel

apriliaforum newb

Bike wont start, leaking fuel

Hi all, I purchased a 98 pegaso last week and yesterday on my first ride out it cut out. There was only about a gallon of fuel in 5 mins into riding it cut out so put it in reserve and fired up. Went to the closest petrol station and put 20 in and filled the tank. As I tried to start it I noticed fuel leaking from under the carbs, the bike wouldn't start, I then noticed a pipe under the tank had come off (breather) so reconnected. Took the seat off to try and get a better look but limited lighting. Tried to start again, it ran for couple of seconds then cut out. Now it wont start and battery is low. Any advice before I get it booked in for repair? Really frustrating 1st week of ownership.

apriliaforum Junkie
    If you bought it from a dealer, take it back. If you bought it privately I strongly suggest you get a copy of the workshop manual and you begin your journey of learning how to repair old motorcycles. It's over 20 years old, it's Italian, and if it's been sitting for a while unused, I'm a little surprised you even managed to get it running without some attention. Particularly with self-disconnecting under-tank pipes...

Remove the carbs, strip and clean them properly, reassemble with new fuel hoses and a filter, checking at each step of the way for issues such as cracked inlet rubbers, or punctured diaphragms, or dodgy o-rings... and you'll probably be well on your way to having a running bike.

Taking it to a bike repair shop is a great alternative if they know what they're doing. If you don't know for sure, you'll probably just be wasting your money.

If you have specific questions, come back and someone will undoubtedly give you an answer. They are generally quite simple beasts, but they're old now, so don't expect Honda reliability without having to work a little for it.

Cheers... Paul

apriliaforum newb
    Cheers Paul, unfortunately brought it private. It was running fine over the last week as I was starting it every couple of days. The fuel that's leaking could that be a float that's stuck inside the carb?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Almost certainly, but there's a few troublesome o-rings on the fuel feed tube that could cause you issue too. Either way a carb strip is in order.

You could possibly, maybe, perhaps... try flushing the float bowls by turning on the fuel and opening the drain screws which you'll find at the base of each float bowl. If you're very lucky and if it is caused by crap under the float needle-valve, you may dislodge it. An easy save if it is, but as I said, you'll need to be very lucky. So, good luck!

Cheers... Paul

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the advice, I'll make a start the weekend. I'll keep you updated.
    Cheers