Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 91

Thread: what should my next commuter be?

  1. #76
    apriliaforum expert DaveNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Posts
    16,299
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaholic View Post
    Look I’m sold on the 790. I just can’t spend 10 grand on one. That’s what I paid for my Tuono.
    I could have brought a low milage 2016 1100T for the same money, but i just wanted a light nimble easy bike to ride, and prolong my licence keeping ability. The loops i ride i need the bike to be able to do 220-250kms between gas stations. A struggle for the V4.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

  2. #77
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,257
    well i'm still undecided. the service guy at the local shop traded his 1190 adv on the 790 duke. he says best decision ever. but my commute may drop to 6 miles per day. yep not a typo. i'll find out more on monday. then it might just be some scooter for town and something completely impractical as another bike in the garage. i'd also get to do a little traveling every year. 3 weeks on this - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golden_bear.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	384458
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  3. #78
    apriliaforum expert Raindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    4,947
    When I was on the fence about the price, Dave said that I should trade in another bike because after riding the 790 I wouldn't want to ride anything else.

    I laughed at that then, but when I come down to the garage I always go to the 790. It's that good.
    When the river is low they find old bones, when they plow they always dig up chains

  4. #79
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Raindog View Post
    When I was on the fence about the price, Dave said that I should trade in another bike because after riding the 790 I wouldn't want to ride anything else.

    I laughed at that then, but when I come down to the garage I always go to the 790. It's that good.
    there are 2 in pretty close proximity to me. plus an outstanding ktm dealer i could walk to for service and parts. they are so outstanding they sold out. maybe i should try and ride one.
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  5. #80
    apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Orlando Area
    Posts
    4,265
    Quote Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
    well i'm still undecided. the service guy at the local shop traded his 1190 adv on the 790 duke. he says best decision ever. but my commute may drop to 6 miles per day. yep not a typo. i'll find out more on monday. then it might just be some scooter for town and something completely impractical as another bike in the garage. i'd also get to do a little traveling every year. 3 weeks on this - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golden_bear.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	384458
    For that short of a commute you may want to consider (and it will be pricey up front) an electric bike like a Zero. Being in California I assume they have good rebates for zero emission vehicles. When I was living on base in Cape Cod and my commute was about 3 minutes to the shop I would have loved an electric bike. Just hop on and go, no waiting for the engine to warm up. Especially on cold days (20ish F in the mornings). I killed a brand new battery in a week of long warm up times and short low speed commute and couldn't be bothered to use the tender on my 03 Tuono.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

  6. #81
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    614
    6 miles? Get an electric bicycle. Seriously:

    https://www.addmotor.com/shop/m-560-...CABEgIWvPD_BwE

    A 6 miles commute doesn't even get the oil warm and short rides like that are not good for an engine.

    For such a short commute, way better than even a Zero at far less cost. 40 mile range, 300 pound carry capacity and less than a tune-up on a Ducati.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190715-105846.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	384523
    Last edited by CapoEVT; 07-15-2019 at 01:03 PM.

  7. #82
    apriliaforum expert Kennibear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Washington State USA
    Posts
    522
    Rad Power Bikes in Seattle has several models @ $1500. They run at 20mph and I believe the standard battery is like 25 mile range. 6 mile commute would be like twenty minutes. That's what I would do if I had only 6 miles to go.

    KB

    Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

  8. #83
    apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Orlando Area
    Posts
    4,265
    Or get a scooter. Gas if you want. Though BMW at least, does gave an electric scooter.

    Ya know, if you dont mind being seen on one....
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

  9. #84
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,257
    Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    Or get a scooter. Gas if you want. Though BMW at least, does gave an electric scooter.

    Ya know, if you dont mind being seen on one....
    i like the idea of an electric bike. it's really a great idea. it would allow for less practrical motorcycles which is always appealing.

    back in '08 i did a few 400 mile weeks on the wife's mp3 250. i wasn't embarrassed then. i liked the mpg for sure.
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  10. #85
    apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Hood, Ca. USA
    Posts
    2,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    Rad Power Bikes in Seattle has several models @ $1500. They run at 20mph and I believe the standard battery is like 25 mile range. 6 mile commute would be like twenty minutes. That's what I would do if I had only 6 miles to go.

    KB

    Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
    they get good reviews too.
    Dadsafrantic

    2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

  11. #86
    apriliaforum expert LEDAero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Aja - When all my dime dancin' is through
    Posts
    15,660
    Quote Originally Posted by CapoEVT View Post
    6 miles? Get an electric bicycle. Seriously:

    https://www.addmotor.com/shop/m-560-...CABEgIWvPD_BwE

    A 6 miles commute doesn't even get the oil warm and short rides like that are not good for an engine.

    For such a short commute, way better than even a Zero at far less cost. 40 mile range, 300 pound carry capacity and less than a tune-up on a Ducati.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190715-105846.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	384523
    What make/model is that? I’m seriously looking at an e-bike to replace a car.
    “The sad thing is you will never be freer or more yourself than when it’s five in the morning, the sun’s about to rise and you’re out of your mind” Nick

    “Trump? He’s as stupid as a man who bought his stupid at a two for one sale.” Nancy.

  12. #87
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by LEDAero View Post
    What make/model is that? I’m seriously looking at an e-bike to replace a car.
    Motan M560 P7. The link to it is in the text above the picture.

    Thing is supposed to have a very generous range and high carrying capacity.

    The nice thing about these electric bicycles is that carrying and extra fully charged lithium battery that weighs so little would seem easy. Even if it's not as.much capacity, good enough to extend the range quite a bit or just have just in case.

    Warehouse is in California and no doubt these come from Asia somewhere but they've adopted bicycles for regular ground transportation to a much greater degree than the US has.

    They have lots of models and some like this one come with adjustable suspensions, digital instruments and so on. Short commutes and start stop just years up gas engines and everything else.

    No one asked but I see higher performance electric bicycles carving up the potential markets of companies like Zero. Yeah they are motorcycles so to speak but with their limitations they really can't compete with ice bikes and for most commutes offer very little electric bikes can't equal with none of the benefits the e-cycles have to offer.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

  13. #88
    apriliaforum expert LEDAero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Aja - When all my dime dancin' is through
    Posts
    15,660
    Quote Originally Posted by CapoEVT View Post
    Motan M560 P7. The link to it is in the text above the picture.

    Thing is supposed to have a very generous range and high carrying capacity.

    The nice thing about these electric bicycles is that carrying and extra fully charged lithium battery that weighs so little would seem easy. Even if it's not as.much capacity, good enough to extend the range quite a bit or just have just in case.

    Warehouse is in California and no doubt these come from Asia somewhere but they've adopted bicycles for regular ground transportation to a much greater degree than the US has.

    They have lots of models and some like this one come with adjustable suspensions, digital instruments and so on. Short commutes and start stop just years up gas engines and everything else.

    No one asked but I see higher performance electric bicycles carving up the potential markets of companies like Zero. Yeah they are motorcycles so to speak but with their limitations they really can't compete with ice bikes and for most commutes offer very little electric bikes can't equal with none of the benefits the e-cycles have to offer.
    Thanks - sorry, I missed the link.

    They were sold here (UK), but they seem to have disappeared.

    I will be working from home, so my 'commuting' will be going to the shops, etc. It looks like what I'm after.
    “The sad thing is you will never be freer or more yourself than when it’s five in the morning, the sun’s about to rise and you’re out of your mind” Nick

    “Trump? He’s as stupid as a man who bought his stupid at a two for one sale.” Nancy.

  14. #89
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    614
    Look at this:
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik...935008545.html

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190719-134453.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	384739

    Not cheap but still way less than a Zero and it goes 50+ mph with an 80 mile range. That is keeping up with nearly any traffic except the freeways. While you can buy a decent motorcyle for that, for commuting shorter distances it still can't equal something like this.

    There are some other brands out there and some look more like slim motorcycles and a more mountain bike look. For anything less than 20 miles one way how can you go wrong? You get to use bicycle lanes, regular lanes, park pathways for shortcuts and while everyone is sitting at the stoplight you can dismount and use the crosswalk and continue on the other side.
    Last edited by CapoEVT; 07-19-2019 at 03:46 PM.

  15. #90
    apriliaforum expert Kennibear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Washington State USA
    Posts
    522
    Update on the Rad Power Bikes. Standard range is 40 miles. Check your local laws as most electric assisted bikes are limited to 750 watts of power (1hp). More than that and they have to be registered as a motorcycle and carry insurance etc.

    KB

    Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What should my Fuel Pressure be??
    By NUTTA in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM
  2. what should my temprature gauge sit at on tick over on my sr 50 di tech
    By gjseb79 in forum Scarabeo 50 Ditech, SR 50 Ditech, SR Factory
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 08:34 PM
  3. What should measured engine compression be?
    By men8ifr in forum Pegaso 650 Cube and IE
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 08:39 PM
  4. Should my restricted bike be able to do 70MPH?
    By PingSpike in forum RS125 Euro-archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 05:00 AM
  5. What should the tire pressure be in the RS50?
    By plkalra in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2003, 06:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •