Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rory’s 2010 TZR 50 - forum members input appreciated !

apriliaforum Member

Rory’s 2010 TZR 50 - forum members input appreciated !

In November I bought a tzr 50 after enjoying buzzing around on my 4t Honda vision. First 2 stroke bike, 2 stroke experience has been hpi Bajas lol.

Trying to go through as much of it as I can renew or upgrade parts.
    Most recently fitted a polini cp 21 which has given the bike great performance and easier tuning. It’s rich just now on the supplied 100 jet so ordered a set of smaller ones.

Its been very very hard to start since fitting the polini though, needs throttle to start. Dropped from 40 to a 36 idle jet which helped a bit and dialled it in using a method on moped army.
    Have tried plug , got another coil to try.
    Not sure if it’s the reeds - I fitted Malossi .35 to standard cage but they didn’t fit quite right, had to drill screw holes to fit them. When I put them in with my Mikuni it started much quicker than with old worn reeds but I’m not convinced they definitely fit.

Pics for your amusement
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B6354C4-8A47-484D-BF47-6A8A267B5408.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	524.6 KB 
ID:	377546

Name:	CAF0BA5C-2015-4259-821E-ECDB836C78DD.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	377547

Name:	44E0E294-C038-44CE-A852-9194CEAC95E9.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	532.4 KB 
ID:	377548
    2010 TZR50 70cc Top Performances Trophy
    21mm CP
    Technigas ebox
    Top Performances reeds

Cool

Rory that's a good looking bike!

apriliaforum Member
    It really is, when I saw it I had to have it.

Thanks for your help so far for this newbie. After dialling in the idle jet better last night by turning idle speed down, raising it with air valve and repeat it did start better from cold tonight. I’ll need to see how many turns out my air valve is to see if I should change from my 36 idle.
    The needle is filthy rich, all burbly so think I’ll have to raise the clip a notch. Four strokes so easily. Going to reduce from 100 main to 98 and see how she goes.
    21mm CP
    Technigas ebox
    Top Performances reeds

sounds like you're on the right track!
    with mikuni carburetors i have always sized the pilot jet based on a smooth idle with the air screw two turns out. from that starting point, i adjust as needed for the type of riding

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

Cool Lots of info on the Camp site

I may have posted it in your other threads however, for completeness, I’ll post it here too.

On GPR Camp I have a lot of resources for our bikes. One of which is a thread about carb tuning. There’s general information, and a lot of good info on the Polini CP carbs.

I do suggest reading the bit on how to set the idle screw. Just turning it out X number of turns isn’t actually the proper way to go about it. There is a proper way to set the idle screw, and the procedure is outlined on GPR Camp.

apriliaforum Member
    That’s the technique I used and it worked great. I’ve never felt such great response as I did after setting it up that way.
    Next will be getting the smaller main jet in and seeing how she runs. It’s on a 100 jet just now and revs to 12k no problem but mid range is very burbly rich.
    I’m a little concerned about down sizing from 100, it doesn’t seem that big for a 70cc
    Last edited by Rory5; 03-27-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    21mm CP
    Technigas ebox
    Top Performances reeds

apriliaforum Member
    This is how a fairly new plug looks. The bike 4 strokes as soon as you give it any throttle up to about 1/2. I thought it might be the needle so I lowered it one notch and wouldn’t run due to lean bog.
    So I guess it must be the idle jet too big at 36 ?
    I tried the how far from 4 stroking on full throttle and that seems lean, doesn’t really 4 stroke when you reduce throttle so going to try a bigger main jet.

Name:	3E130215-D4F7-4DD8-9280-2032C400E867.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	465.4 KB 
ID:	377739
    21mm CP
    Technigas ebox
    Top Performances reeds

i already gave my suggestions lol

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Cool Jetting

Sounds like Matt wants you to get a Mikuni. :P

That looks a bit rich, and your description sounds rich. I would put the entire carb back to the stock configuration, and drop down a size or two with the main jet. Get the main jet sorted first, then proceed to the other bits. You should set the mixture screw each time you change the main jet.

apriliaforum Member
    Had a great ride tonight , bikes going great , real strong pull in the powerband.

Name:	11E3A3AA-DA46-4151-9A33-A294019CD382.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	379495
    21mm CP
    Technigas ebox
    Top Performances reeds

Greetings, nice little bike. It had to be fun to ride.
    Aprilia RS50 1999. Bidalot RR 70 , Top Racing (Jasil) crankshaft, Motoforce PWK 24 carburetor , V-Force 3 reed valve , Polini Big Evoliution air filter , Top Performances intake manifold, Stage6 R/T digital internal rotor ignition PVL, Top Performances kevlar clutch, Metrakit Pro Race 3 exhaust , 13/47 gearing

beautiful! get some videos!

apriliaforum Member
    Thanks guys. It’s now running well thanks to the help from forum members. I’m looking at action cameras to get some riding videos
    21mm CP
    Technigas ebox
    Top Performances reeds

apriliaforum Member
    Riding video
    21mm CP
    Technigas ebox
    Top Performances reeds

yesssssssssssssssss

i miss 50cc sometimes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast