Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleanup of carbon deposits on intake valves

apriliaforum prov-nov

Cleanup of carbon deposits on intake valves

While wrapping up the valve lash inspection, I noticed that the intake valves, particularly the front cylinder valves, had some light carbon buildup on the top surface of the valve heads. I've already buttoned up the throttle body and airbox, but would anyone care to recommend their preferred fuel additive to help clear up some light deposits, OR their preferred method of cleaning the valves for the next time I check the valves?

Thanks!
    Mike Rodriguez

My buddy helped me check my valves, he was a teacher at MTI in FLA. He recommended Techron fuel system cleaner.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for the response! Right after I posted, a related thread popped up, and in reading the feedback there, I'm going to try rigging up a catch-can breather arrangement, and completely pulling the hose connection from the underside of the airbox, and sealing that. Once that's done, I'll give an additive a try to help clean it all up.

thanks again
    Mike Rodriguez

Can you pls post that thread? Ive got the same situation as most of us probably do, know it or not.

Face reality, or perish, I guess.
    - IndelibleInk

Try Chemtool B12, Seafoam. A few tanks will clean them right up!
    2016 Tuono V4 1100 Factory
    RACE ECU|Adjustable levers|Puig Racing Footpegs|AF1 Red RSV4 Bellpan|GBR/Graves/Woodcraft /frame/axle Sliders/Case Savers,Spools|Evotech FE|Rhinomoto Barend Mirrors|EBC HH Pads|EVAP delete|LED Lights|Slipscreens headlight protectors|R&G CF Tank/Tail sliders|Radiator Guards|Powerbronze Airflow Screen|Reflective rim stripes|Stompgrips|Koso Heated Grips
    2014 S1000R Premium
    Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike Belly Pan|Bestem CF Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|Barend Mirrors|360+R&G LED signals|Reflective rim stripes|R&G+Puig Protection|H&B panniers|Fully adjustable levers

2017 Tiger Explorer XCa
    Expedition Cases|ADV protectors|Adjustable levers

Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Mike Rodriguez

Great stuff.

Face reality, or perish, I guess.
    - IndelibleInk

apriliaforum expert GreaseSnake's Avatar
    I’d say most of the buildup is caused by the CCV.
    As long as you don’t modify that into something that can better trap and condensate the oil vapour it will not be cured.
    (2000Mille, 2008 Tuono Factory, 2007 Tuono R, 2007 Tuono Factory, 2014 Tuono V4R aprc abs) Current: 2000 RS250 MK2, 2008 RXV450

Our bike has 1 or 2 CCV hoses ? I had done this mod on my FZ1 but I don't see much room on the tuono to shove in a breather filter.
    RACE ECU|Adjustable levers|Puig Racing Footpegs|AF1 Red RSV4 Bellpan|GBR/Graves/Woodcraft /frame/axle Sliders/Case Savers,Spools|Evotech FE|Rhinomoto Barend Mirrors|EBC HH Pads|EVAP delete|LED Lights|Slipscreens headlight protectors|R&G CF Tank/Tail sliders|Radiator Guards|Powerbronze Airflow Screen|Reflective rim stripes|Stompgrips|Koso Heated Grips
    2014 S1000R Premium
    Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike Belly Pan|Bestem CF Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|Barend Mirrors|360+R&G LED signals|Reflective rim stripes|R&G+Puig Protection|H&B panniers|Fully adjustable levers

2017 Tiger Explorer XCa

apriliaforum prov-nov
    There's just the one breather connection, off the back cylinder, that gets suction from the airbox, and is guarded by that mesh block that's in a small pocket of the airbox. I just ordered one of those little K&N pod filters (3/8") and was going to try pulling the hard plastic hose off the cylinder barbed connection, and just running rubber hose out the back towards the swingarm and chain. I figure if a little oil vapor gets on the chain here and there, it wasn't the worst thing that could happen, but I'm always open to contrary suggestions!
    Mike Rodriguez

That's different from the SAI hose right?
    2014 S1000R Premium

2017 Tiger Explorer XCa

There are a few threads on making oil catch can/breathers about. I made a catchcan to fit inside the left rear fairing out of 40mm plastic drain pipe with plastic end caps and brass fittings.
    I used 3/8 oil hose from the engine to the elbow inlet of the can. I used 1/4 oil hose from a drain in the can, to the breather in the oil tank and the motor where I added a brass 1/4 tee.
    My first attempt leaked because I used o rings with the brass fittings, so with the next model I epoxyed them in. I used some stainless brillo pads inside the can for dampening.
    The 2nd one, I made a little bit longer and moved the 2 relays in next to the ecu and cable tied them down.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...-Oil-Catch-Can

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170401_200827.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	377959
    Last edited by jess67; 05-03-2019 at 10:14 PM. Reason: add link

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Great picture and description! I was not having a whole lot of luck finding a single port inlet catch can that looks like that, that's a nifty looking set-up!
    Mike Rodriguez

Like the way you've done that jess.
    You've inspired me.
    I wanted use the standard airbox top with Stefano's double stacks.
    To fit the stacks with the standard top I had to cut the CCV away in the airbox.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020286(1).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	378266

The K&N filter is mounted on one of the spare inlet pipes.
    That has made enough room to add the high flow auto fuel filter between the air box and the outlet on the cam cover.
    I have not ridden far enough to know how well this will work.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Nice work BN. Stefano makes some cool products but you do need to be prepared to make some minor mods to make them fit.
    I had him make me a short 50mm set of v/stacks and I had to trim the edge of the lower stacks because they fouled against the air filter frame.
    I like your breather set up, but not sure about the fuel filter to trap the oil. The oil needs to drain back, so not sure if it's possible with that filter? I was looking for a thread where someone used a clear plastic seperator? type set up to split the oil and air.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast