Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: and I thought I had seen it all -texting while riding

apriliaforum expert
    Thankfully texting while driving/riding became a Primary Offense here in Florida on July 1st.

They will start with warnings for now and Jan 1 it will start going on your driving record with a $30 first offense non-moving violation warning so no points and a $60 second offense moving violation with 3 points on your driving record. Court costs, etc brings the warning to about $120 and the moving violation to about $170. Get caught in a School or Construction Zone and its immediately a Moving Violation with Points.

In Florida 12 points in 12 months gets your license pulled for 30 days and 18 points in 18 months gets you 3 months without driving privileges. Those who won't stop texting while driving will hopefully become pedestrians in very little time.

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Fecking idiot!
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

Some states have texting as a secondary offense meaning they can only stop you for something else and add texting to the charge. That is about useless as the driver could be in compliance with all operating laws except for texting. This may be a case where Federal Highway Funds are linked to a primary texting enforecment law required to be enacted by each state for full highway funding. Exact wording and fines imposed could be left to each state to allow as harsh or lenient a punishment as they see fit but the drinking age moving up to 21 was done the same way.
    Texting is more dangerous IMHO because there is no obvious sign of impairment (weaving etc.) until the driver looks down. A drunk tends to be out of control all the time and that is noticeble most of the time.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    Some states have texting as a secondary offense meaning they can only stop you for something else and add texting to the charge. That is about useless as the driver could be in compliance with all operating laws except for texting. This may be a case where Federal Highway Funds are linked to a primary texting enforecment law required to be enacted by each state for full highway funding. Exact wording and fines imposed could be left to each state to allow as harsh or lenient a punishment as they see fit but the drinking age moving up to 21 was done the same way.
    Texting is more dangerous IMHO because there is no obvious sign of impairment (weaving etc.) until the driver looks down. A drunk tends to be out of control all the time and that is noticeble most of the time.

KB

This is a pain point for me since two friends of mine were walking back from the store on a sidewalk almost 30 feet from the road and the older of the two who saw the texter coming up on the sidewalk pushed the younger woman into a ditch after which the older woman was hit and dragged under the car for over 30 feet. The texter drove off and thankfully she survived however it was a long recovery. They ladies walked to the store for their health to get something for lunch so this was on a nice clear sunny day in Florida just a few blocks from their homes where their husbands were working on a project. The texter was not caught.

We focus on "Texters" however its also "Gamers" who are playing games such as PokyMonGo and in a rush to beat a time to a destination or next level that can pose an even greater hazard.

Pity there were no security cameras to catch them. I have friends that were ripped off in a smash-n-grab on their car in a public parking lot and the security cameras caught them getting in a car and leaving. The Seattle police said they don't file car content thefts anymore and for them to turn it into their insurance. They lost several hundred dollars cash as they were headed to an auction and the insurance company wanted a police report.
    Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed. I would have taken the cash with me on my person.

KB

apriliaforum expert
    KB - My wife's car was smash and grabbed yet despite the fingerprints, multiple videos, eyewitness accounts, etc at all the stores where they tried to use her credit and bank cards the known band of thieves that came in by boat to make a circuit of the Florida coast and then took off back to the Spanish Islands were not caught. They know about them but are always one or two steps behind them because many folks just do not report these incidents anymore since they don't believe the police are willing to pursue the matter however the first thing the officers asked was if we would be willing to press charges if they caught up with them and of course we said yes which they thanked us for as most are not willing to press charges when these guy are caught making catching these guy pretty much a waste of their time. With the gaps in these crimes being reported and then of those that are reported with most victims then being unwilling to press charges it just makes it a futile endeavor many times for the police.

Some thieves though are more crafty now and don't smash but cleanly get past the car locks without damaging anything and then only take one credit card from near the back of the stack in your wallet so that you are less likely to notice and then they neatly put everything back where they found it and lock the car back up. This happened to a cousin visiting us and they did not find out for months that everyone who had left their wallets safely locked up in the car all had only one seldom used credit card taken from each of their wallets. Nothing was taken from the wallets with only one credit card in them though it is possible that Social Security cards that were in their wallets were photographed. The Credit Cards taken were not used immediately by the thief so there was little to no chance of backtracking to exactly when and where the thefts occurred since charges on those cards did not show up immediately on the next statements. When the first few starting seeing the charges they saw the pattern and contacted everyone whom they went out together with tracing it back to that beach trip they went on over a month ago as only those who were with them that week found they had a seldom used credit card missing from their wallets.

I do not leave anything of value in my car and do not take my Social Security Card or anything else of real value with me in the car unless I know I will absolutely need it. If thieves break into my car or bike they won't find a receipt with even a partial ID number on it. I micro-crosscut shred all receipts that have any part of a credit/bank card number on them and only save those needed for warranties but with any card numbers recorded on them obscured.

Sometimes I feel punishment with forced hard labor needs to be made mandatory again for these crimes to make it as unpleasant as possible to be involved in this type of activity. When I was a kid only the worst hard cases would even dream of stealing since it meant forced labor on a work farm for juveniles and the rock pile making cement by hand or some other physically difficult labor for adults with lousy food and few comforts which would become even more lousy and less abundant if you refused to do the work. I went to a public school where the principle had a leather razor strop hanging on the side of their desks and a bench beside it for administering a good strapping if you misbehaved and we had far fewer problems than we have today.

There are safes made for vehicles that typically hold a handgun but will hold several wallets etc. If you mount them with tamper proof grade 8 fasteners with the nuts inside they are damn near impossible to jack. Like you I just don't leave my wallet anywhere.

KB

Used to be sunny Durham, now dull and rainy Midlands, England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    This is a pain point for me since two friends of mine were walking back from the store on a sidewalk almost 30 feet from the road and the older of the two who saw the texter coming up on the sidewalk pushed the younger woman into a ditch after which the older woman was hit and dragged under the car for over 30 feet. The texter drove off and thankfully she survived however it was a long recovery. They ladies walked to the store for their health to get something for lunch so this was on a nice clear sunny day in Florida just a few blocks from their homes where their husbands were working on a project. The texter was not caught.

We focus on "Texters" however its also "Gamers" who are playing games such as PokyMonGo and in a rush to beat a time to a destination or next level that can pose an even greater hazard.
    I can agree in general Rocky, but although Pokemon Go gets a bad rap, it's an Uban Myth these days as it doesn't work if the player is going more than about 15mph and levels/destinations are not generally time-dependant.

I regularly drive my wife and youngest son when they want to play Pokemon Go and my job as driver is to STOP, so that they can play. They only way they can play properly is to park up, do their stuff and then move on slowly to the next playing point (known as a Poke-stop or Pokemon Gym) and STOP again o that they can play again.

There are games that require driver attention whilst travelling at speed, but Pokemon Go isn't one of them !
    Cheers,

"I am a selfish, self-righteous tosser", a "fucking loser" and now an "absolute fucking idiot"

Me - '03 RSV Mille, '89 FJ 1200 x 2, & '75 TL 125 & Schweizer S300 CBi Helicopter
    Wife - '01 FZ1 (Fazer 1000), '86 VF 750 Interceptor and '07 CRF 230F
    Kids - '03 Fazer 600, GY 125 and CRF 100 off roaders, '10 Reiju RS2 50 Matrix Pro

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by millietant View Post
    I can agree in general Rocky, but although Pokemon Go gets a bad rap, it's an Uban Myth these days as it doesn't work if the player is going more than about 15mph and levels/destinations are not generally time-dependant.

I regularly drive my wife and youngest son when they want to play Pokemon Go and my job as driver is to STOP, so that they can play. They only way they can play properly is to park up, do their stuff and then move on slowly to the next playing point (known as a Poke-stop or Pokemon Gym) and STOP again o that they can play again.

There are games that require driver attention whilst travelling at speed, but Pokemon Go isn't one of them !
    Actually that is not quite accurate. A few years ago on Sunday, December 18, 2016 a motorcyclist (Randall McNabb) chased down and caught a man (Vincent Barone) who drove up onto the sidewalk on Main Street (Route 580) in Dunedin, Florida while playing Pokemon Go hitting and seriously injuring Pedestrians (37-year-old Sheree Dean of Largo, and 29-year-old Sherman Puckett of Clearwater) that were waiting for a bus in front of the Walmart. What made this more poignant was the fact that he was a local school teacher who lived in the same condominium complex as the woman I mentioned who was run down a few days earlier on the sidewalk near the corner of Sunset Point Road and Highland Avenue in Clearwater, FL. "Barone, a teacher at Plato Academy in Largo, told investigators that he was playing "Pokemon Go" on his phone and was distracted at the time of the crash. " So not urban myth since we know for a fact that is has definitely happened here with Barone confessing explicitly stating he was distracted by playing Pokemon Go while he was driving.

Perhaps due to these kinds of driving incidents they have added some safeguards to the game in England and other countries however I can't speak to whether those have been implemented here yet.

This Pokemon Go incident may have been the last straw that swayed lawmakers here to pass the bill a few days later (which was implemented on July 1, 2019) making texting/etc while driving/riding a primary offense.

Here is the news report with the names, times, etc of the incident:
    https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...e-on-his-phone

Here is the report on the sentencing which some may say is a bit too lenient however keeps him out of prison so he can work to pay $530,120.58 in restitution to his victims:
    https://iontb.com/former-teacher-sen...ng-pokemon-go/

So yes playing Pokemon Go while driving has been clearly documented as being the root cause of accidents and this is part of the Court Records now, not just Urban Legend or Myth.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 07-10-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Used to be sunny Durham, now dull and rainy Midlands, England
    When it first came out, it did automatically work at higher speeds, as the maker didn't realise that players would play whilst driving. Once there was evidence of drivers playing and the reports of crashes etc they updated the game and it's GPS recognises if the "unit" is iravelling faster than a human can travel on foot and I think the level is about 15mph.
    Cheers,

"I am a selfish, self-righteous tosser", a "fucking loser" and now an "absolute fucking idiot"

Me - '03 RSV Mille, '89 FJ 1200 x 2, & '75 TL 125 & Schweizer S300 CBi Helicopter
    Wife - '01 FZ1 (Fazer 1000), '86 VF 750 Interceptor and '07 CRF 230F
    Kids - '03 Fazer 600, GY 125 and CRF 100 off roaders, '10 Reiju RS2 50 Matrix Pro

Quote Originally Posted by spaz_666 View Post
    About two years ago I saw a skinny jean'd, helmetless, furry collar fashion leather wearing hipster on a cafe'd Honda CX500 taking a selfie while riding - moving slowly, swerving, and holding up traffic.

I'm still kicking myself that I wasn't wearing my helmet camera that day.
    You had me at hipster

Phone is either in pocket or tank bag.

Check it when I'm off the bike.

The only time I even listen to music through my earbuds is if I'm on a long slab ride.

Otherwise, just the sweet sound of my engine and exhaust.

apriliaforum expert
    There are always the helicopter people who can't go 5 minutes without knowing what their kids are doing, their spouse is doing. You know its them because they ride down the road constantly touching their helmets to answer and hang up calls. You never know when the toilet paper roll is out, someone has an emergency and they have to turn around to fix it.

Only one hand's available for the phone, the other must be on the hip!

apriliaforum Member
    using the phone for anything else but gps (satnav) is a big no-no for me; not just for bikers this is dangerous... if I got €10 for each time I saw a driver using their phone!!

Also, young people riding bicycles: wearing those ridiculously large earwarmers that apparently also function as headphones, making absolutely sure they're completely oblivious to the world around them... riding with no hands on the bar necause they have to type what must be life-or-death important messages on their mobile phones...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12