Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard starting.

Hard starting.

I have a 2016 RR. And took mine out for the first time today and experienced some hard starting when turning the bike back on after a say 30 minute ride. Now I know when the engine is really hot it has some issues starting but itís pretty chilly still.

Just to be clear I am on a new engine after getting mine replaced under warranty for failing and ever since I hate to say it but I just donít trust the bike or really, the engine, to not leave my stranded.
    The issue seems to mostly be when shutting the engine off and trying to turn it right back on within a minute or a very short period of time. It just doesnít like it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

From what I've read it seems to be pretty common, a hair of throttle seems to typically remedy it for me. Have a read through this
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...ot-start-issue

I've been 1k+ miles from home and 600+ to the nearest dealer on my 2016 RR and thankfully never had an issue (knock on wood). What caused your engine to fail?
    2016 Tuono V4 1100 RR
    2008 Kawasaki KLX450R Supermoto

apriliaforum Member
    It's a common issue. I usually give it a couple minutes before turn the key again.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrc64 View Post
    What caused your engine to fail?
    prwtty sure I dropped a valve but Aprilia just decided to replace the engine instead of going in and figuring out what was wrong.

I was driving normally, just left my house and wasn’t even driving for 10 minutes and wasn’t even getting on it. Driving 60mph just cruising and the engine started grinding/clanking I lost power. Pulled over and he engine was dead.
    Oil level was fine and from a cursory overview nothing was wrong.

I was experiencing some intermittent stalling the weeks up to the failure. Maybe 1 in 50 times when coming to a stop it would stall. Had 9000k when it happened.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by V4Cyborg View Post
    I have a 2016 RR. And took mine out for the first time today and experienced some hard starting when turning the bike back on after a say 30 minute ride.
    Please be more specific in describing the issue you are having.

-when you push the button the engine cranks and cranks but will not fire?
    -or the starter cranks the engine very slowly as if the battery is dead?
    -or the engine starts briefly and stops again immediately?
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Please be more specific in describing the issue you are having.

-when you push the button the engine cranks and cranks but will not fire?
    -or the starter cranks the engine very slowly as if the battery is dead?
    -or the engine starts briefly and stops again immediately?

I think ink it is just a characteristic of the engine and it doesn’t like being turned off and immediately turned back on but when I came to a stop in a parking lot to adjust my helmet and check my phone and turned the bike off and when I went to start it up again if just cranked a few times then sort of “died” like it didn’t want to go. Like a car that you haven’t started in a really long time.

It was my first ride of the season but my battery was on a tender all winter and I ran fuel stabilizer through the system before putting it away.
    As I said I think it’s just a V4 thing sometimes doesn’t like being turned on right after being turned off but idk, just thought I’d see if others experienced this as well.

Well... it is not just a V4 thing and if it continues to do that after you put fresh gas in it, there is something wrong.

Just like "I was experiencing some intermittent stalling the weeks up to the failure" was giving you a clue that something is wrong.
    At that time a compression test should have been performed, and proper repairs would have prevented a dropped valve and severe engine damage.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrc64 View Post
    From what I've read it seems to be pretty common, a hair of throttle seems to typically remedy it for me.
    Yes that is becoming a common issue with some of the 2016+ V4 bikes, but a hair of throttle is not the solution.
    This needs to be reported to your dealers while still under warranty and repaired correctly

I had the same start then die problem. Touch of throttle kept it going. Checked valves early at 6300 miles and found one tight EX valve at .15mm and two slightly tight IN at .09mm each. Since then, I have shimmed and I have not experienced the issue again. I don't know if that was the sole cause of the issue, but it certainly wouldn't help it.

Just something to be aware of, and I would say definitely worthy of a dealer visit if you aren't up to working on it yourself. An early check won't be covered under warranty, if that is the route they would take.

apriliaforum newb
    I used to have up rated starter cables for my Ducati and noticed on another link from a British bike mag this month they recommend the aprilia performance starter cables. Not sure if anyone has tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frednec172 View Post
    I used to have up rated starter cables for my Ducati and noticed on another link from a British bike mag this month they recommend the aprilia performance starter cables. Not sure if anyone has tried them.
    This actually sounds like a valid idea, upon some searching it seems they tend to use thinner cables for the starter and battery. Has anyone used these? I think the cables in conjunction with a lithium battery should be a solid fix for this issue.
    And also to stay on top of valve checks. My new engine only has around 3k but I think around mid summer I will check them. I am way out of warranty and another failure will be a very costly endeavor. I'd rather just check the valves early to be safe.

You have not answered my question, which of the three not starting scenarios are you experiencing?

I had my second ride today. I hit 92 miles. I rode about 25 miles parked the bike for about ten minutes started it to show my brother the headlights as well as the dash and get a listen to the exhaust. About 15 minutes later when leaving it did not start with just the started. It turned over a few times. But I was suprised when it didn’t fire instantly. I gave some throttle and instantly it fired. Should I be worried ?

I have a18 Tuono rr

The problem is dealer support. A lot of people have bikes very far away and simple problems like this are harder to diagnose. For instance to dealer I bought my bought from sold the Aprilia franchise to a dealer even further away.
    If my dealer was down the road I would of had it checked out immediately.
    My bike had 9000k and I planned on just taking the bike to get a valve check at the end of the season.
    I believe the poor dealer network is why a lot of the valve problems and hard starts and other issues aren’t reported and why they seem to not be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by FOULWIND View Post
    I had my second ride today. I hit 92 miles. I rode about 25 miles parked the bike for about ten minutes started it to show my brother the headlights as well as the dash and get a listen to the exhaust. About 15 minutes later when leaving it did not start with just the started. It turned over a few times. But I was suprised when it didnít fire instantly. I gave some throttle and instantly it fired. Should I be worried ?
    This is most likely attributed to valve clearance issue if not stator problems. If the intakes are too tight it might be gasping for air. Same with exhaust valves. Once it starts does it smell rich in the exhaust?
    2016 Tuono V4 1100 Factory
    RACE ECU|Adjustable levers|Puig Racing Footpegs|AF1 Red RSV4 Bellpan|GBR/Graves/Woodcraft /frame/axle Sliders/Case Savers,Spools|Evotech FE|Rhinomoto Barend Mirrors|EBC HH Pads|EVAP delete|LED Lights|Slipscreens headlight protectors|R&G CF Tank/Tail sliders|Radiator Guards|Powerbronze Airflow Screen|Reflective rim stripes|Stompgrips|Koso Heated Grips
    2014 S1000R Premium
    Akra GP Slip On|Ohlins Damper|Ermax pan|Tecbike Belly Pan|Bestem CF Fender|V-stream screen|Wunderlich Seat|Barend Mirrors|360į+R&G LED signals|Reflective rim stripes|R&G+Puig Protection|H&B panniers|Fully adjustable levers

2017 Tiger Explorer XCa
    Expedition Cases|ADV protectors|Adjustable levers

Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast