Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Aprilia Mana GT Owners... Help and Assistance if you can Please

apriliaforum newb

Calling All Aprilia Mana GT Owners... Help and Assistance if you can Please

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Good evening, I hope this post finds everyone in great Health & Spirits.

I am posting to inquire and respectfully request Help for the situation that I am experiencing with my newly purchased 2012 Mana GT ABS with 8,985 miles. Any and all guidance and recommendations would be greatly appreciated:

Details of my Dilemma:

- I go to start the Mana... I turn the key to the right in the “On” position
    - The dash screen says, “Remember to insert your user code”
    - I go to squeeze the Brake-In and push the ignition switch and only hear 1-click noise, that’s it... Does Not Start
    - Then the bottom of the dash screen says ABS
    - I bought a brand new battery and it does the same thing and Does Not Start

- I went into the Menu through the left button on the left handle bar.
    - I clicked on “Diagnostic” and punched in the 5-Digit Code (12321) which I found online... still Does Not start

- Hopefully everyone can view the Attachments to this post, because I took two pictures of the dash screen to give everyone a visual.

If anyone can provide any Help, Assistance, or Guidance.. please let me know.
    I graciosuly Thank You in advance.

Please take care, best wishes, and ride safe.

- Professor NickyB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25148644-6476-4DC4-B602-2E5CFFCFDAE7.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	485.2 KB 
ID:	376982  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C511C8F1-1F7A-4819-9F52-BB0716662E45.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	491.3 KB 
ID:	376983  

I think this is two different issues. Do you know if the previous owner actually set up a user code? This is a code that is needed if there is a fault in the key sensor system. When the bike is bought new it will ask for this to be set up, which is what it looks like it is doing. If you know the code, enter it and see if that is the problem. You might have to check back with the previous owners if the code isn’t written in any of your documentation. If you don’t think it has ever been set, then go through the procedure in the owners manual and make a note of it. If it is the code that is preventing the bike starting, there must be fault in either the key or the ignition switch system. Check the wiring from the switch back to the main loom. I have heard of the plug that connects the ignition switch to the loom causing issues so worth cleaning it’s contacts.

The ABS display is the normal screen at start up. It will clear once the bike starts rolling and the system check is complete.

One thing you can check is if the bike will start with the side stand raised. There are some fault conditions where this is required as a reminder to get things fixed.

Were there any fault codes marked when you went into the diagnostics?
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

I had a chance to check my owner's manual and discovered that the main warning light will flash faster than normal if the key isn't recognised by the system.

There is also a routine for resetting the personal code if you don't know what it was originally.

CODE RESET
    This function is used to set a new code
    when the old one is not available; in this
    case, at least two keys will have to be inserted
    in the ignition lock. After the first
    key has been inserted, the second one is
    requested with the following message:
    "INSERT KEY II"
    In between keys, the instrument panel remains
    lit; if the key is not inserted within
    20 seconds, the operation finishes. After
    recognising the second key, the insertion
    of the new code is required with the message:
    "ENTER NEW CODE"
    Once the operation is finished, the instrument
    panel shows the SETTINGS menu.

Let us know how you get on.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum newb

Good evening Andy

- Attached are All the ECU Diagnostics
    - Attached are All the DashBoard Errors
    - I clicked on "Yes" to RESET the Coupon
    Attached Images Attached Images          

apriliaforum newb

Thank you in advance Andy

Attached is a Picture of the Dashboard that is occurring on the MANA:

- I Reset the USER CODE to "00000" using the The Code Reset as you mentioned to do
    - But, Where and How do Insert the Code during the Ignition, so that hopefully the Mana will Start-Up?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So no fault codes by the looks of things. (any posted errors would have an X instead of a O)

Is the bike still posting the reminder to insert your user code after you reset it?

Also is the main warning light flashing faster when the key is inserted?

Did you try to start it with the side stand retracted?

I'm assuming this is the reason why the bike won't start as it is such a fundamental part of the security. Without the keys or the user code the bike is impossible to start so we need to resolve what is happening here first. Was the bike starting normally before? or has it never started for you?

apriliaforum newb
    Andy,

Good evening, thank you for the reply and continued help and assistance... I am beyond grateful and appreciative.

To answer your posted questions:

- Yes, the Mana is still posting the "Remember to insert your User Code" as soon I as insert the key and turn it to the right.
    - Then I try to squeeze the Brake and push the On button with my right thumb to start it, and all I hear is "1-Click" noise and that's it.
    - The Panel on the dash shows ABS at the bottom after that.

- The only light on the dash that flashes constantly is the General Alarm Light, which is the red triangle.

- Yes, I tried to Start the Mana with the Kickstand UP, and I even moved it around my garage and driveway... still nothing.

- I have two sets of Keys for the Mana... not sure if it has 3 sets or not, I only have two

- The Mana was starting and running great before this dilemma started, it's in impeccable shape and looks great... New Oil, New Oil Filter, only 8,985 miles... always kept clean and in a garage.

- I didn't ride it that much this past month, and around March 10th I went to start it and it was a little hard to start, but she did turn on for me.
    - On March 11th, I went to start it again and nothing happened, just that one-click sound... so I thought it was a dead battery, I charged it up, and tried to start it.. and that's when ALL this Dilemma started... with the "Remember to Insert User Code"
    - I went and had that battery tested at two different places, and both places said it was fine and fully charged. But, it still didn't work, so I bought a brand new battery, and that battery still couldn't get the Mana to start.. I kept getting the one-click sound and 'Remember to Insert User Code" on the dash.

If I can send any other pictures or even Videos of what ever you would want from the Mana... please let me know.

If I can answer any other questions that you may have to help remedy this situation in any way... please let me know.

Thank you again in advance Andy

I'm wondering if the code stuff is a bit of a distraction. I did some checking and it looks like there would be a dashboard code error posted if it was the immobiliser system causing the problem (DSB01 is code not recognised and DSB02 is key not read).

Your description of the previous starting issue would point to either a battery problem or a starter motor problem. If you know the battery is OK then we need to suspect the starter motor. The wiring connection post is in a vulnerable position underneath the engine so check that for corrosion and a good contact first and then check to see if it is actually getting current when starting (if not then this might be a starter solenoid failure). If these checks don't show anything, put a volt meter across the battery terminals to see what the voltage drop is when the starter is engaged. No voltage drop would indicate a failed starter motor.

I'm assuming everything else is acting normally (the speedo does its needle sweep and the fuel pump kicks in, etc.). It might be worth trying a reset on the dashboard and ECU just in case they are playing up as a result of the battery change. You can either disconnect the battery earth lead or pull both master fuses near the accessory power socket (make a note of which one goes where). Leave it disconnected for 15 minutes or so to make sure everything has powered down completely and then reconnect. This will put everything back to default.

If it's showing the 'Insert your user code' message it's because it's never been done.

The reason it's not starting I have no idea but in my experience the solenoid is the first port of call.
    Professional Goat Burster.

Hi Pete,

NickyB seems to be saying the "insert code" message is new and prior to the starting issue the bike behaved normally. Can the dashboard lose the stored code if power is disconnected long enough or maybe "spiked" by a hesitant reconnection? I did wonder if just using 00000 might be the reason it continues to show the reminder as I believe that is factory default. Changing the code to something more personal would, presumably, answer that question.

I guess we might need Meinolf to disentangle some of this.

Ignoring the code issues, this does now look like a simple case of working through the start components to find the fault.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi,

somebody called my name....

Ok, Andy/Pete, you already mentioned the relevant topics.

The request to enter a new user code is disturbing. This should only happen within the first 200km (if my memory serves me right) and then the reminder would disappear. If it pops up now then the assumption would be that the codes stored in the dashboard EEPROM are gone. If that's the case the key codes, mileage and so on are also gone. The dashboard can be opened and the EEPROM can be replaced. But disassembling the dashboard is a hazardous operation, I've never succeeded in opening one without breaking something. Spareparts are not available. The most sensible route would be to attach another dashboard, but these are hard to come by.

If the dashboard wouldn't be throwing up the message it does I would also concentrate on starter or selenoid.

Cheers
    Meinolf

PS. Btw, neither dashboard nor ECU can be reset by removing power. All stored values are either in flash memory or the EEPROM, which don't loose data if power is not applied.

Thanks, Meinolf. I knew you would have an insight into this. It looks like the bike will have to go to a dealer to be diagnosed via their computer hook up now.

Dunno about the message only showing up for the first 200km. At least on Guzzis it never goes away. I get people coming to the shop with bikes with 20-30,000km who have never inserted a code and the msg still shows on start up. I still spend a fair bit of time explaining to customers why it's important to put one in because the shop that sold the bike to them never bothered!
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum Member
    when I had my Mana the insert code always showed up when I turned the ignition on but went off after starting and ran normally so I am not sure that is the problem ?? I would tend to follow the advise re the solenoid, starter and connections first, I had to replace my solenoid at a little over 8000 miles.
    Keith

apriliaforum newb
    Thank You Keith, I highly appreciate the feedback. I am going to have a Mechanic come and take a look at it.

Best wishes, take care, and ride safe.

- Nicky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast