Thread: Strange ignition problem

apriliaforum prov-nov DrumRobson's Avatar

Strange ignition problem

Alright, I got a really tricky one and I need help badly!

It's time for a first startup of my new Gen2 engine Falco. I installed the new Eprom that you need for this setup from Gabro, joined the ignition coil cables as needed (since you only need one coil per cylinder now obviously). When I started it up it came to life for maybe half a second, then misfired once and I stopped pushing the starter.

Now the spark is gone on both cylinders. I measured approximately 0.14V on the green/grey wires (battery + from the ECU) of the ignition coils with ignition on. When attempting to start, this value increases to 3.4V. Shouldn't that value be 12V? Since the ECU switches off the other color cable (mass) to induce the spark - the green/gray ones (battery +) should be always carry voltage imo.

The other really strange thing is that there is no EFI code, nor does the display say "diag" when I connect the diag cables, nor - and that is the most strange thing - does the tilt sensor work. I can even unplug the tilt sensor - no EFI code, nothing. Everything normal except no sparks.

Already checked are:
    -Sidestand switch
    -Neutral switch
    -Kill switch
    -Camshaft sensor
    -Ignition Pickup
    -Flywheel (thought it might have gotten loose/sheared off the sprag, but it didn't)
    Also all lines of these sensors have been checked.

I only found one ground wire for the whole wiring harness. I've screwed this to the left side engine and theres basically no resistance there. Are there maybe more ground wires for parts of the harness? One that I didn't see?
    Has anybody got any idea or tips where else to check? I am done with my knowledge here to be honest..

apriliaforum expert
    On the Falco the ground wires are all connected to the left side of the engine. The big battery, one with a bunch of green/blue wires and a single thick black one.

The voltage seems too low. What's the battery voltage when cranking?

Alright, so at least the ground wires are ok then.

The battery is ok. It‘s from my mille, which it starts up just fine. It’s only a year old, but I also tried jumping it with a brand new car battery - same results unfortunately. But I can still go measure the voltage this evening if this might help.

apriliaforum expert
    I had the exact same problem with my Falco at one point, with no spark. Never found out what it was, but I did too many non-starts that ended the life of my sprag. If you don't get a diag on the dash, I would start checking all the cables from the ECU for chafing.

Another thing that can try is another diode. Try the one from your Mille for example.

Alright, as it turns out, I am an idiot. I did check the 30A main fuses first thing after I noticed the fault. I declared them ok - but one was not. Having had a second view at them today, I noticed it. Super stupid. Got spark now. There is another issue now. Most definitely way too much fuel in the rear cylinder.. doesn't ignite as supposed but pushes flames and fuel-air-mix up the throttle body. But I didn't setup the trim pots to 9 o clock as (as I now know) you are supposed to do. I think they are all over the place. Hopefully that does the job..

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRobson View Post
    ...doesn't ignite as supposed but pushes flames and fuel-air-mix up the throttle body....
    Are you 100% sure the cam timing is correct?
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

or maybe mixed left/right coils? is front cylinder operating correctly instead?
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it

Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam

Where have you connected the 2 temp sensor cables .gen 1 has 2 sensors .gen 2 has 1 sensor.
    Did you remove the blank plug and fit 2nd sensor or piggyback the cables like the coils
    Last edited by ned; 03-18-2019 at 03:35 AM.

Didn't get to work on it today. Tomorrow.

Ned, yes, I took the blank plug out and fitted a second sensor. Bit of heat (carefully) to prepare and a hammer-on-style manual impact driver (also: careful!) will ensure it will come loose without problems.