Thread: Help Denver Colorado area

apriliaforum newb

Help Denver Colorado area

Is there anyone on here in the Denver CO area that can flash my rxv450 to cure the hard start issue? Not sure if i should post this here but dont know who is familiar with these in the area and need some help.

For what it's worth my RXV was hard to start when I bought it and I found there were multiple contributors. One was my technique - using the cold start knob and holding the starter long enough for the injectors to supply fuel. I also needed to adjust my throttle body synch, throttle position sensor, and cold start knob - which required an XVTuner cable and a vacuum sync gauge. It was overwhelming at first but I kept at it until my values were all within spec and starting became much easier.

Of course if you have the wrong map installed that needs correction.

With all that said, when it's bellow 35 degrees or so in my garage, my RXV is still pretty hard to start. If I turn on the heat out there before trying to start it, it starts quickly.

Folks more knowledgeable than I will chime in, I'm sure. Perhaps one lives near Denver!
    2009 Aprilia RXV 450
    2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
    Previous Aprilia's: 2002 Caponord : 2001 Falco

apriliaforum newb
    I have messed with the throttle cables a bit to try to get the cold start to work a little better and it seems a little better however still not as easy as i would like. I have pulled the plug and it is very rich. I am a mile above sea level but i would not figure that matters much since the bike is fuel injected. I have to assume that there is a map sensor and o2 sensor buried in there somewhere to correct fuel for the altitude?? I am not actually sure what the exact cause for the hard starts is, i am just kind of going off of what i have read and what not with the whole tune thing. It seems very hard to find anyone around my neck of the woods with any clue about these bikes (myself included), hell 99.9% of people don't even know these exist haha.

I do think that you are probably right about the TPS. I could do all of this myself i just dont have the cable or software let alone know where to get them. Cant even find a copy of XVtuner.

You really need something like XV Tuner or Tuneboy cable to get the throttle cables and cold start devices set correctly for the factory spec 10% opening when applied. It is also needed to ensure the TPS values are set correctly. You can try not using the cold start device and just open the throttle manually to see if it works better. One of my bikes starts best if I do it manually by just barely lifting it off the stop while cranking. With your rich condition it may work well for you.

There is a barometric pressure sensor inside the ecu that uses a hose to sense pressure inside the airbox. That is the only device used to adjust fuel for altitude corrections. There is no O2 sensor on an XV.

The company I work for has a branch in Denver and I was around there for most of November / December, but don’t know if I will be heading out there again anytime soon.

apriliaforum Member
    Post a video of your starting technique - we might see or hear something that can help you, but you really need an XVTuner cable to verify proper setup. Also, realize that the injectors are delayed for a certain number of engine revolutions based on coolant temperature, so if you don't hold the starter long enough, there's no gas to ignite. At the same time, you don't want to hold it too long, or you'll burn out your starter.

Also, check this thread. I just noticed that when all else fails (meaning everything is set up correctly), Allen says bumping the starter for a second before actually trying to start it up helps. Don't know why...

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?311041-Hard-start-on-1st-time

apriliaforum newb
    Ok i will post a vid of my technique in the next couple of days. I did put some Ngk CR8EIX plugs in today and it seems to start up and idle much better now. Thanks for the help, i will keep you guys posted. Still would like to have someone check on it that has an XVtuner cable.

apriliaforum Member
    I think I can help you. I'm in KC but sometimes visit Denver and I have an SXV and a xv tuner cable. We should talk.
    Randy.
    Last edited by Vandal777; 03-13-2019 at 11:26 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal777 View Post
    I think I can help you. I'm in KC but sometimes visit Denver and I have an SXV and a xv tuner cable. We should talk.
    Randy.
    That Would be awesome Randy. Let me know. I am kind of up in the air about selling it. Have it posted for sale but i think it is worth more to me than to others haha.

You may also want to call up Imperial Sportbikes (in Denver) and speak to Bart. Imperial is the largest Aprilia dealer in CO, and Bart is a really good mechanic. I'm not sure if they know the ins and outs of the RXV450, though, but it's worth a call.
    2003 Tuono R Limited, #169/200
    2017 RSV4-RR
    2016 KTM Super Duke GT
    2013 WR250R

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    That Would be awesome Randy. Let me know. I am kind of up in the air about selling it. Have it posted for sale but i think it is worth more to me than to others haha.
    I cant PM you so give me a call. 913-238-8300
    Randy.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks Randy. I ended up selling the bike today.

apriliaforum newb
    Call Imperial and they should be able to help you. I have an XV tuner that you can use if that doesn't work