Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine power problem DD1200 2012

apriliaforum newb

Engine power problem DD1200 2012

Hi,
    I have a problem with my Aprilia Dorso 1200, model 2012. It has unstable engine movement which goes between 900-1500 rpm on idling speed, sometimes the engine turns off, it has jerky thrust between 2000-3000 rpm and also 5000-6000 rpm. The engine always stops at 9500 rpm and it wont go further, like it has limiter rev. This happens whether the engine is hot or cold. The sound is little bit deeper and more like bubbling, it smells like unburned petrol and the endings on exhaust are more dirty from gas. I replaced battery, spark plugs and air filter but it is the same. There are not any modifications. Diagnostics shows nothing. I have tried two authorized Aprilia services but they didnt find any error. Do you have experiences with something like this or is there something I can try to fix this problem?
    Thank you for your advice.

Baltazarr

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazarr View Post
    Hi,
    I have a problem with my Aprilia Dorso 1200, model 2012. It has unstable engine movement which goes between 900-1500 rpm on idling speed, sometimes the engine turns off, it has jerky thrust between 2000-3000 rpm and also 5000-6000 rpm. The engine always stops at 9500 rpm and it wont go further, like it has limiter rev. This happens whether the engine is hot or cold. The sound is little bit deeper and more like bubbling, it smells like unburned petrol and the endings on exhaust are more dirty from gas. I replaced battery, spark plugs and air filter but it is the same. There are not any modifications. Diagnostics shows nothing. I have tried two authorized Aprilia services but they didnt find any error. Do you have experiences with something like this or is there something I can try to fix this problem?

Baltazarr
    Hi. I have not had this happen to mine, but it seems that others with this type of problem often find it is a failing MAP sensor. An inexpensive and easy fix if that is it. I also had the #2 fuse in the main fuse box front left of the fuel tank causing interruption to the dash and as a result this was causing some odd engine behavior. I also found a loose wire on the relay beside this. Fixed by just pushing back on with needlenose pliers. Have you got the latest ECU program installed? This and a Fatduc, and the wires and good MAP sensor and you should be good to go. Good luck Tom

apriliaforum Member
    In addition, you are correct in that you are running into the rev limiter at 9500. I think the red line is actually 9000. I am wondering why you are trying to rev it higher than 9000? the DD1200 has been cammed and tuned to make good power from about 4000 to 9000 and starts to drop off after that. Normal riding would be half throttle and shifting at 6000 or so in traffic, with WOT and 9000 when needed.......

apriliaforum newb
    Thanx for your advice, i will take a look at that and let you know. About the ECU program, I think I have the latest version but I will ask my mechanic to make sure.
    But I dont have rev limiter at 9500, re-cast to a higher gear indicator is set to 11 000 on the dashboard. I usually use my bike for fast ride in hills so 9000 is not enough.
    I wish it would be so easy because my bike is in Aprilia service for quite some time.

apriliaforum Member
    Thanx for your advice, i will take a look at that and let you know. About the ECU program, I think I have the latest version but I will ask my mechanic to make sure.
    But I dont have rev limiter at 9500, re-cast to a higher gear indicator is set to 11 000 on the dashboard. I usually use my bike for fast ride in hills so 9000 is not enough.
    I wish it would be so easy because my bike is in Aprilia service for quite some time.
    The power drops off drastically after 9000, and you would likely start to do damage to the engine at anything above about 10,000. The DD1200 is much faster if shifted at 8000 or 9000 into the next higher gear and letting the torque do the work. Tom
    ps the MAP ( manifold air pressure sensor) is the most likely suspect with your problem..

I think the rev indicator light is simply a warning ight - doesn't actually limit revs.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum prov-nov
    how does it sound? have you checked the intermediary timing gear?

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I think the rev indicator light is simply a warning ight - doesn't actually limit revs.
    The DD1200 definitely has a rev limiter. Ask me how I know.... Set at 9300 I think from the factory.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi
    After a month of waiting on spare part I've discovered that changing the MAP sensor didn't help. Does anyone have an idea what else could it be?

Thanks

apriliaforum expert
    One other cause of unstable revs reported here, mainly for the 750s, is poor fueling. Check the fuel pump and its connector, the hoses and the injectors if necessary? Might be low pressure.

Just FYI, there is a restricted map for these bikes (I think for the French market, so 100 bhp?) that limits top end power.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum newb
    Check the spark plugs maybe they are worn if you smell fuel unburned.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi,

Baltazarr
    Have you ever owned a V2 before? Because its not designed to be driven under about 3000-4000 rpm. ALL V2 engines shake like hell under 3000 rpm. And yes all bikes have rev limiter.

apriliaforum newb
    G'day all, newbie here so be gentle!

Just came across this post and I have exactly the same issue with my '12 Dorso 1200. The idle fluctuates and sometimes stalls and it's definitely burning too much fuel, the pipes are sooty and you can smell the unburnt premium!
    Also no fault codes have been logged.
    She's only done 10 thousand kilometres, 2.5 of which I've done since owning her.

Seems this may be a common problem?

I'll get hold of the local dealer and see if I can get a MAP sensor. Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Hi, GD and Balta, fuelling on these has been an issue from day dot. The O2 sensors are to close to the end of the pipe and the ECU reads it as lean on back pressure. This creates the fume we all smell by enrichment. Run 98 octane, this helps reduce it abit. Also, as mentioned earlier check out fitting a fatduc. I would check that the throttle and idle cables are lubed and the throttle housing has not dried out. Regrease the twist tube. Then if it has persisted, throttle servos have been known to give grief in the past. Have it checked out if the above has not yielded results.
    2 eyes,2ears,2hands,2feet----TWO CYLINDERS

Falco Mods-K&N Filter,EVO airbox & stacks,SL Carbons ,Penske 8983, carbon front mudguard, dash,top yoke, swingarm covers and sprocket cover, bellypan, billet bar ends and levers, tinted screen & headlight cover, braided brake/clutch lines, Evoluzione clutch slave, Mille oil tank, Sargeant seat, tail tidy, Gilles vario bars, Mille swinger, Rad-cooler guards, Gabro chip. SOLD
    DD 1200 - Gel seat, Arrows & map, shock tube, EVO Tail tidy, rad and oil guard, DNA Stage 2, Lightech bolt kit, Rizoma resouvoirs, Lux grips, Renthal bars, CRG levers, Carbon body work.
    2006 SR50 - Morini motor - My $100 dollar resto project, underway currently.

apriliaforum newb
    Cheers for that Brinks, I'm going to order a fatduc, DNA Filter and some Mivv cans very soon so with that and the extras it should be good to go.
    I'm already using 98 exclusively ( unless I happen upon a servo that doesn't have it, which will be the case on my way to Phillip Island this year ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast