Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2019

Most dump thing is that they aint racing anymore.
    Qualifying laps are 10 seconds faster than race laps , only saving tires and fuel, no racing.

And if Hamilton can get (almost) fastest lap in the last lap with 29 laps old HARD tires , you know he was cruising for 28 laps. (and put Bottas op 18 sec).
    The tires have now a very small working window so lots of teams cant get them to work. (overheat by Haas , to cold by Ferrari)

Dont care how but they need to go full speed all race, fuel stops , unlimited tires what ever.

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yzr750 View Post
    That would make qualifying a farce, who can go the slowest to get pole.....
    Most of formula one is a farce now, If Hamilton was made to start from the pit lane he would certainly make the top 5 by the end of a race, mechanical gremlins excepted, at the moment he's cruising towards Schumachers record of 91 GP wins, Like I said, they have to do something to make it more interesting, don't they reverse the grid in touring cars or something similar? You're right, they would be crawling around to get the slowest time rather than the quickest but they have to do something to make it more interesting and quickly, I don't watch it anymore.
    Last edited by coolonthecoast; 06-25-2019 at 06:14 AM.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

F1 seems like the pro wrestling of the racing world now. I'll watch for a few minutes if I stumble across it, and the tech. is still amazing, but I quit following it when Ricciardo got a penalty a few years back for too high of an instantaneous fuel flow rate. WTF - they already mandate you have to finish the entire race on a specified weight of fuel - you'd think that would be sufficient.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race)

apriliaforum expert
    The rules now are pretty stupid. It is funny, some aspects they seem really concerned with controlling costs, often to the point of being stupid about it. And then other aspects of the rules make it ridiculously expense to compete, never mind run at the front.
    It is a shame, because I really used to enjoy the old V8's and V10's. But when they announced the new turbo V6 format I was OK with it until I heard about the stupid max fuel flow rate and no refueling. The racing has always been hit or miss, but the cars were always amazing. Now the racing is hit or miss and the cars lack the raw appeal of the previous cars.

Pretty sad when there’s probably more tech in DTM and Japan GT.
    There’s a lot of touring car stuff going on and more entertaining IMHO. They just did 24hr of the ring

all good points. hard habit to give up though. Q is still exciting. and sometimes there is a great race. at some point they will tweak it.....i'll keep watching just to possibly see a team like alfa or renault make something click and fight for a championship. that's the sort of thing i love.
    "death from misadventure"

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Iím gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

Aja - When all my dime dancin' is through
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    The rules now are pretty stupid. It is funny, some aspects they seem really concerned with controlling costs, often to the point of being stupid about it. And then other aspects of the rules make it ridiculously expense to compete, never mind run at the front.
    It is a shame, because I really used to enjoy the old V8's and V10's. But when they announced the new turbo V6 format I was OK with it until I heard about the stupid max fuel flow rate and no refueling. The racing has always been hit or miss, but the cars were always amazing. Now the racing is hit or miss and the cars lack the raw appeal of the previous cars.
    Run what you brung, within weight and cost limits. Thats all the rules they should have.
    ďThe sad thing is you will never be freer or more yourself than when itís five in the morning, the sunís about to rise and youíre out of your mindĒ Nick

ďTrump? Heís as stupid as a man who bought his stupid at a two for one sale.Ē Nancy.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by LEDAero View Post
    Run what you brung, within weight and cost limits. Thats all the rules they should have.
    Fair enough, but I am not a fan of cost limits. In the end, they will spend whatever it is worth to win. Cost limits and cost control rules only change how they spend the money. But they spend it.
    But fewer rules, and more creative tech, would be great. I remember so many creative innovations, from the blown diffuser and the coanda exhaust, to the inertial dampener and the front diff to control inside wheel lockup. All those cool innovations were banned, after teams spent massive amounts of money inventing and perfecting them. It used to be a smaller team could compete by being creative. Now, it seems to come down to how deep your pockets are.
    I don't mind a few basic rules, like engine displacement and weight. But the details should be open to how the teams want to achieve the goal of lapping the race track fastest.
    When Ferrari were still running their V10 to everyone else's V8, that was cool. It used to be you could hear the differences in the different team cars.
    Don't get me wrong, modern F1 cars are really fast. But they have lost much of the magic they used to have.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAero View Post
    As Guzzi pointed out, the moneyed teams get around the cost limits. Since they're making such a stink about fuel conservation, just put a fuel limit for the race and the teams can do whatever else they want, KERS, number of cylinders, number of wheels, whatever. Probably need a minimum weight requirement for driver safety too.
    Beware the festive dog; drive soothingly over the grease-mud, for therein lies the skid demon.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming in terror, like his passengers -- Jack Handey

the age of technological rule bending.
    "death from misadventure"

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Iím gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

I think just going back to refuelling any time you want, makes for good strategy racing, less tyre degradation, so faster lap times & real racing.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    I think just going back to refuelling any time you want, makes for good strategy racing, less tyre degradation, so faster lap times & real racing.
    Yes, refueling was often a key factor in race strategy. It allowed a driver to run light, so he could put in faster laps and make time on another driver. Doing away with it was a step backwards. And doing it for "safety" reasons was laughable. They basically said "Sure, many other series allow refueling and do it safely but we can't figure out how to do it safely".

I especially hate how the DRS is managed (or was, I haven't paid enough attention lately to know if it has changed). If a driver wants to crack it open mid-curve or right at corner exit, let them I say...no risk no reward! Friggin' stupid it could only be used at certain parts of the track, and only when within 1 second of the car in front.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    I especially hate how the DRS is managed (or was, I haven't paid enough attention lately to know if it has changed). If a driver wants to crack it open mid-curve or right at corner exit, let them I say...no risk no reward! Friggin' stupid it could only be used at certain parts of the track, and only when within 1 second of the car in front.
    I agree completely. If you are going to give them DRS, let them use it where ever they are brave enough to do so. Or get rid of it.

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast