Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morocco Touring

Morocco Touring

Hi all, I'm presently touring in Morocco. I left England ten days ago and arrived here after a two day ferry from Barcelona. I met other owners from Europe and it's been an absolute pleasure so far. The country is great and the company top Stars.

This tour is organised by Rico from Germany and there are 9 Caponords and 3 others. It's all going well so far but will report in detail later because it's limited here on my mobile.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

FoodReactions.Org
    Food Intolerance, Allergy & Adverse Reactions
    Bookmark it... you never know when you need it.

Memoirs Photography
    Weddings, Portraits and Events - Beckenham, Bromley, London & Kent

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar
    Grat stuff Mario! Lots of pics on your safe return. I see an orange capo with an Irish flag on the front, matching braces too, say hello to Scatman Jackson.
    Brum Brum

Mario, Good quality photos as always.
    Don't forget to take pics of the things that go wrong as well!!

Nice, keep the pictures coming

What's the general route?

Great Mario,
    Take care of the ignition coils
    Laszlo
    60 V2 ..... best ever.....

2019- ETV 1000 RR
    2013- 2018 APRILIA ETV1000
    2005: APRILIA RST1000
    2002-2005: BMW F650

Quote Originally Posted by laszlo__ View Post
    Great Mario,
    Take care of the ignition coils
    Laszlo
    Got two new ones with me

Last edited by CapoMario; 03-05-2019 at 03:59 PM.

FoodReactions.Org

Memoirs Photography

Great photos & looks like a fun trip! Thanks for sharing.

Catfish ...

Been following your exploits on FB...keep the pic's coming Mario....
    (2003 Infinity Blue Capo) - Gone but not forgotten..
    (1990 Kawasaki ZZ-R 1100C1) Remus Innovation S/S Full System, Double Bubble Screen, ZXR750 full lift Carbtops & RenTec rack.
    (1997 Kawasaki KLR 650 C3) In Kwacker Green.
    (2016 KTM 1290 SAT) In White .

Been trying to give updates for several days but internet speed is so slow if available at all that was not able to upload pictures.

So here we go:

I left England two weeks ago, spent the first night in a different hotel than the one I booked because I booked it the wrong month then I spent a night in beautiful Lyon.

Unfortunately, on the way down after Lyon I left the lid of one of the panniers unlatched. On the motorway it caught the wind and flew away. Luckily it did not cause accidents despite being surrounded by cars. Somehow I saw it flying in the mirror and managed to stop safely and risked my life to retrieve it from the middle of the motorway with passing lories and cars. Here I noticed how unfit I am because when I tried to sprint I felt my shoes stuck to the road.

And yes, the lid was now just a pancake but made of aluminium!

On the way down I passed through a medieval village and while taking pictures I heard a man calling me. He invited me to his house gave me coffee and cakes and to my amazement he talks more than me. He took me round his large mansion and gave me a detailed history of his house, life and village. He was the husband of the Mayoress of the town.

I spent the night in a very remote village in the mountains, South of France. So remote in fact that neither Google maps could find it nor the gps, and to confuse me more both gave me different locations. At the end I managed to make contact and a pick up truck turned up where I was and followed then to the hostel.

There I had dinner with the family and drank too much wine... very good wine in fact.

The next morning I borrowed a hammer and managed to bend down the narrow sides. At least now I could lock it.

Thursday morning I headed to Barcelona riding through some mountains. I met a guy who lives in a camper van... and just like me he talks a lot as well.

At Barcelona I met some of the other persons in the group and we soon became friends. The 36 hours ferry trip went very quick and finally we arrived in Tanger.

Last edited by CapoMario; 03-16-2019 at 09:16 PM.

FoodReactions.Org

Memoirs Photography

Now we are in Morocco and the proper adventure starts.

Since we arrived to Tanger earlier than expected we had time to go to a very pretty Port town called Asilah. There we had a look around and later we sat at a restaurant for a nice tageen (Moroccan dish). Some of the group went back via the highway while others including me didn't.

At the hotel, Klaus, Rico's brother got a hammer out and after some more banging he made the lid of my pannier better. It was not easy working on 2mm thick aluminum! Never knew how strong it is.

The next morning we headed to Fes. We only went through normal roads taking us through some Reef top mountains where ice has not yet melted. One highlight for me was riding through a village where you would think you are part in a Jesus of Nazareth film set. This was an amazing thing to see with people dressed in clothes of biblical era going to the market on donkeys. Truly amazing.

We arrived in Fes through chaotic, crazy, undisciplined and crowded traffic. My Capo started cutting out (nearly), having to keep it revved before cutting out. As if starved of fuel. I did notice this before in similar conditions, eg in Lyon.

At the hotel everyone was tired and wanted to stay put, however, using my sales skills I managed to convince a group to join me to go to the city and have dinner. I was there six years ago and loved the Medina and the food there. I told the taxi driver exactly where to drop us but he had other plans. Instead he insisted to drop us somewhere else and directed us to a restaurant he wanted. The result was a disaster in everyway because the food was shite and the area he took us was shiter. Didn't go well with my new friends... oh, by the way, we paid London prices!

Last edited by CapoMario; 03-16-2019 at 09:17 PM.

FoodReactions.Org

Memoirs Photography

After Fes it's now time to head a long way South East to Midelt. We rode through valleys and higher mountains. Through desert roads and forests. The scenery changed so much it's like traveling through space and time, summer to Winter and back in a short time.

At Midelt we had a wonderful Berber hotel and people waiting for us. Rico, Marc and I decided to go for an extra trip off road after we checked in and something that baffled me happened. While taking some pictures in the valley a van came from the opposite direction. The elderly driver happened to be German and with him he had a woman. Rico and Marc got involved in a conversation with him. All of a sudden a young Berber woman jumped out from the back of the van and insisted she comes with me on the bike. I stupidly said no. Rico told me the German guy offered me to take her but I said what the hell am I going to do with her? She went crazy trying to ride the bike. I think I regret not taking her with me, I think she needed someone to talk to ;-).

In the evening I was talking to Michel about the bike trying to cut out at traffic jams. He told me small problem and he got his laptop out, connected my ECU and as if by magic the problem is gone. He told me the mixture was too lean and changed the CO value which was too low. A quick check up revealed all is ok including the two coils I made :-)

Last edited by CapoMario; 03-16-2019 at 09:18 PM.

FoodReactions.Org

Memoirs Photography

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar
    Every word i read in your accent Mario haha and this is one of the awesomeist reports I've read, you sir are a true adventurer Need more.
    Brum Brum

More to follow soon. I'll keep you posted :-)

FoodReactions.Org

Memoirs Photography

Quote Originally Posted by CapoMario View Post
    More to follow soon. I'll keep you posted :-)

What an awesome adventure, I only wish I could have gone with you all.... Looking forward to hearing more when in Llandovery....
    (2003 Infinity Blue Capo) - Gone but not forgotten..
    (1990 Kawasaki ZZ-R 1100C1) Remus Innovation S/S Full System, Double Bubble Screen, ZXR750 full lift Carbtops & RenTec rack.
    (1997 Kawasaki KLR 650 C3) In Kwacker Green.
    (2016 KTM 1290 SAT) In White .

Now we are going to head south west to Marzouga. It's a place at the edge of the desert, a very small place where houses (if you can call them houses) are scattered and only a small centre with perhaps one or two shops. The way to Marzouga was once again spectacular, riding through twisty roads along valleys and up and over mountains. You never get tired riding in this type on scenery and roads. The weather continues to be wonderful with only change in temperatures depending on the altitude.

At one point while riding over some mountains we came across some extraordinary scenery where amongst the red rocky mountains we came across the most beautiful lake with sparkling turquoise water. It was just amazing to see the beautiful contrast.

The roads are so good you can be safe to twist the throttle completely down and let the Capo show off.

We arrived at Marzouga and this time we stayed at different places because there are no big hotels. I stayed with a guy called Youssef who runs a very pretty hostel. He gave me a beautiful room with ensuite shower toilet and breakfast included he charged an astronomical price of €7!

He recommended me to go to the sand dunes which were 5 minutes walk to reach. It was indeed 5 minutes to reach but then it will take you an hour walking through soft sand going up and down the craters to reach a good place to take pictures. To make things worse it was windy and sand was going through one ear and out of the other. Now I have a full understanding the way people dress in these regions. Western clothes are only suitable for disco clubs.

While on the sand dunes I saw some of the other group approaching, so now I wasn't the only one gritting sand in my teeth.

As the sun was falling I took several pictures. The clever boy took my large Nikon camera with me. Sand from the continuous storm got into the lens barrel and now I'm expecting a heavy price at the repair shop.

The guys left but being a photographer I thought I stay longer until the sun dips behind the distant Palm trees of the village. That was another mistake because all of a sudden darkness fell and the sand from hot turned cold. I tried to run but you cannot because your feet sometimes go down to your ankle in the sand and you get stuck.

In near complete darkness I had to use my sense of smell and managed to locate the guys smoking hashish who I met and spoke to on the way to the desert. They were sitting in a vegetable patch smoking hashish and drinking.

At the village, I was starving but there was no where to eat. I asked Youssef if he would cook but said no. I told him I have a bottle of wine to share if you like alcohol. Half an hour later he produced the most amazing meat tagine Berber style. We sat outside with his brother and cousins drinking, smoking hashish (not me), chatting and learning about the Berbers life. Oh, don't ever call Berbers Arabs.

Last edited by CapoMario; 03-16-2019 at 09:19 PM.

FoodReactions.Org

Memoirs Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast