Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20,000 mile maintenance

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by antarius View Post
    What did you change between March and yesterday? Reading back, it was running, correct? Personally before you dive too deep I'd pull the PowerCommander out of the loop to remove that possibility.
    The 20k maint. came up and I did that except for plugs. Previously the bike had been hard starting when cold for a few months. I have three bikes so only ride it once or twice a week. After that (only 300 mile over 20k now) I got concerned about the hard starting and the stator. Took it apart and saw the bad brown connector and the burnt stator so I changed that all out, and put in new plugs. I went north for the month of June and came back to where I am now. Like I said I checked everything electrical I can with my Fluke according to the info from here and elsewhere and it is checking out OK.

I'll fill it up and try again, if no start I'll drop the ground wire on the PC and see what's what. AF1 said that its MAP 2 so I'm not sure what it is doing anyway besides making her run rich?

PS I really appreciate you guys trying to help out, I feel like I'm on an island here, never see any Aprilia's around and no dealers for a couple hundred miles at least. Seems like two Aprilia's and a Moto Guzzi are not the best choice for practicality, but they are great bikes.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    No joy. Just cranks with PC connected or not.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Checked FI relay exchanged with fan and checked both OK. Put a gauge on the Fuel Regulator outlet and dead headed it got only 20 psig. Fuel rail is supposed to be 3 bar - 43-44 psig right?

This is really not a good way to test fuel pressure. Test needs to be at fuel inlet to the throttle body. Not sure what you mean by dead headed but you do not want to run the fuel pump with the return line blocked.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Outlet of the reg. is easy access with fuel hose , dead head means blocked flow of the return. Just a few cranks to see pressure. Tried it with a tee and the return going back but pressure was zero. Need some kind of fitting to try the inlet. When I do what pressure should I see?

It's frustrating trying to get the items you need, auto parts stores, hardware stores, truckers supply even fastenall or motion do not seem to have what I need. Guess you have to order almost everything now days.

Yeah, there is essentially zero pressure in the return line. It requires a special banjo bolt that is drilled through to allow a gauge to be connected. It's possible to make one from the standard bolt. One is available from aprilia. Part of the special tools kit. Not cheap though. The pressure spec in the manual is 50.75 psi. There is no way to check it on the return side because it would be unregulated and the pressure would quickly exceed the spec which could be dangerous.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

apriliaforum prov-nov
    When I dead headed the line the pressure peaked at about 20 psig, this was for 12 cranks or so a couple times. The fuel pump acts like a centrifugal pump not a positive displacement. I don't suppose a 30 psig drop through the intake is beyond imagination. When I looked at the fuel supply line (again) I took it off and ran it into a can, pressing the stater button just ran the pump in this case and the flow was quite high. I'm not sure what input detected there was no fuel pressure in the intake to by-pass the starter and coil? Injectors or is this part of my problems?

You are right about the banjo, its an m12 x 1.5 x 38 double, needs a port on top to get a gauge on it. I can't find any easily available but you could drill and tap one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChetV View Post
    ...I'm not sure what input detected there was no fuel pressure in the intake to by-pass the starter and coil? Injectors or is this part of my problems?...
    Not sure just what you are getting at there but there is nothing in the system that monitors fuel pressure. The ECU does decide whether or not to energize the starter based on certain parameters. Did you have the injectors or some other electrical bits disconnected?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I did not have anything disconnected. It happened as described. Looking at the ECU inputs list I can't see yet how this happens - Intake pressure? The other thing I'm not to sure about is the stepper motor. Looks to me that the Crankshaft and Camshaft position sensors along with the air temperature sensor could cause a no-start condition, yet it appears that these faults should show on the dashboard diagnostics. I'll keep at it and I appreciate your following my problem and trying to help.

I see you're in N. Florida, does the dealer in Tallahassee have a good service department? I may eventually get desperate. Probably need an AXONE.

I bought my Mille from them but have not had much contact with them in many years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12