Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20,000 mile maintenance

apriliaforum prov-nov

20,000 mile maintenance

I took care of all the big issues.

I had thought I didn't have the brown connector problem but I did not look behind the overflow tank, one connector was badly burned. I butt spliced with some 14 gauge wire and shrink wrapped the wires which I ran between the intake stacks. I had the string attached as I pulled the wire toward the alternator but amazingly I pulled the whole mess out, thus the alternate route.

Checked the valve clearance and all were in specification, on average in the top 2/3 of the ranges. Gaskets looked good but I replaced them anyway. A rachet with extension and universal joint is most helpful as is breaking the radiator loose on the left side as mentioned elsewhere.

Replaced the lower suspension plates. Again the universal joint was most helpful. I got the bike on jack stands on the frame just under the pegs, one flange on each side with substantial jacks, I locked the front brake and removed the rear wheel jack and it was quite stable. I broke the nuts free with an impact before I put in the jacks. Lifted the rear tire a little and the bolts came out easily. Cleaned the bushings and re-greased the needle bearings while only dropping one or two which I got back in pretty easily.

Air filter (BMH) and spark plugs were good as I changed them out at 15000 miles. Oil and filter after I get it started and warmed up. Need to double check all the electrical connections, TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES, as I broke them all open and spray cleaned them.

Coolant hoses are still flexible and tight so I skipped changing the coolant, she runs at 178 F in the summer in Mississippi so I figure I'm good. Some of the wiring and wire wraps are a little fragile but I correcting them as I go.

All in all it was a fair amount of work but any reasonable garage mechanic can do the work. I've already replaced most of the fuel system and done the sprokets and chain. I guess I'll see how the alternator and rectifier hold up.

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    Brake fluid?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I've done that a couple times, figured out the rear issue by rotating the caliper while bleeding. Haven't address the dirty clutch fluid but I keep sucking it out and refilling. Same issue with my Caponard.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just cranks now and no start. I'll search the forums. No error codes in the diagnostics, display is normal. It's got a power commander with Map 2 running direct from AF1 when it was purchased, I'll see if I can figure out if that is working, connections seem OK.

apriliaforum expert frogfeaturesFZR's Avatar
    Kill switch ?
    Whatungarongaro te tangata toitū te whenua

Man shall disappear, but the land always remains

Is the fuel pump priming? If not check the white 2wire connector under the riders seat, left side. It can come apart from lifting the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by jess67 View Post
    Is the fuel pump priming? If not check the white 2wire connector under the riders seat, left side. It can come apart from lifting the tank.
    This happened to me, thank God for the forums.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I wish it was the kill switch or the pump wire. Had this issue before and I had crushed the fuel line between the tank and the frame. I replaced it with a new on and it was pretty stiff, I twisted it a bit getting it screwed into the intake. I guess I'll drain the tank again and try to relieve the stresses on the line, although plenty of fuel drains out when you loosen it, and also check for spark. With no error codes of any kind I'm fairly certain I have all the connections back correctly. The only other thing I can think of is the Power Commander so I'll read the manual on that. I think there is a thread in hear about checking the fuel pressure, in the back of my mind I suspect the regulator.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Running now, I had one of the Power Commander plugs in upside down. FYI the LED's do light up with the ignition on and move up and down while cranking. Also the lead goes to the negative side which I also messed up since I didn't take enough pictures during disassembly.

Glad you got it sorted, easy enough to retrace your steps. Did you consider checking the bearings in the headset/triples in your 20k mile service? I have had mine apart at 30k ks and the grease was almost non existent in the lower bearing. It was actually fubar so I replaced it.
    At 40k ks, I have now pulled apart the swingarm and it's the same deal, little to no grease so I will replace them as well. I probably only ride about 10% in the rain so I am thinking only minimal grease was used at assembly. Also how are your throttle cables? The butterflies should snap shut at lock to lock.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Throttle cables were good. I didn't do the front fork assembly or the swing arm, not that its not a good idea. I'll get to them at 30K, right now nothing is noticably wrong and I have to do the 12K on my Caponard shortly which will be just as big a job for me. I did notice the needle bearings for the lower shock plates were pretty dry also.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Need a little help, again. Posted up about changing the stator and now have new regulator and starter relay (just because). I can not get her to start. There are no errors displayed of any kind. Fuel system is new and pump is doing its thing. Electrical is OK stator wiring etc checks good (when not running). I have spark from both wires. Took of fuel pressure regulator and its clean and passes air. Looking at injectors and taking the side assemblies off the intake but right now I have a stubborn screw on the throttle assembly and it hot as blazes in the garage. Just cranks strongly and will not catch. With no errors displayed I'm thinking its fuel and the only things left are the regulator and the injectors unless the spark is weak?

Use an impact driver to loosen the screws that hold the injectors in. Don't remove fully the screw that holds the throttle assembly, just loosen it enough for some wriggle room to remove the injector.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Took them out and blew out the throttle body, it was clean anyway. Of course I can't tell anything by looking at the injectors but they were clean with good connections. Checked the resistance of the plug wires, coils and plugs, all ok. Took the fuel pump assbly. out and it is OK, plenty of fuel in the supply and return line. I can't find anything wrong. Put in a new battery it was a little weak. Put it all back together I'll fill up the tank and try again tomorrow.

If it won't start I guess I will rig a gauge after the pressure regulator and see if it is close to 3 bar. After that I guess I have to replace the injectors. Any alternatives out there to the 5 x priced replacements? ( Not just AF1 by the way). I have the specs but its a crap shoot for a layman.

What did you change between March and yesterday? Reading back, it was running, correct? Personally before you dive too deep I'd pull the PowerCommander out of the loop to remove that possibility.
    Current: '07 Aprilia Tuono Factory, '07 BMW R1200GS
    Past: '14 Aprilia Tuono V4, '17 KTM RC390, '07 KTM Superduke 990, '07 Husqvarna SM610

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast