Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuono gen1 Sachs rear shock

Tuono gen1 Sachs rear shock

Does anyone knows is there any repair or service kit for Sachs rear shock absorber and can you give me a link? I am getting heavier spring and would like to service that shock while at it. Thanks for any help

Poslano sa mog LYA-L29 koristeći Tapatalk

As far as I know there is none.

However, some other shock parts may fit (other bike or snowmobile shock parts). You would need to have opened a lot of different shocks to know what size parts they contain so that when you measure the ones in yours you know where to look.
    Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I'm gonna have mine serviced by an ohlins service center. He did aprilia sachs shocks before (including one of a friend of mine) using different parts, some ohlins. So it can be done. No parts kit to buy afaik.

I might have stock one from my 2003 in my inventory with about 1,000 miles on it. But I live far far away.
    2003 Tuono: Leo Vince slip-on, Factory Pro Chip, custom mapped Power Commander III, HiFlo AFE air filter, '00 snorkle, Forged Alum-Marchesini Wheels, Ohlins Shock, GP Suspension internal Showas, EVO Fuel Pres Modifyer, 525-16/43 final drive (after I wore out the 520), TCM low rear sets, Scorpion Lithium Battery, Pirelli Angel GT's.

Guy thanks for info and support. I am with Ohlins guy right now so I'll go that way for solving problem. Thanks for help

Spring...

Any internal work done?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
    Any internal work done?
    Yes it is done but I don't know what parts from wich shock or shocks were used. After all the search I found there is no original Sahs service or repair kit. Sad but true

I just went through this same process a few months ago. Best solution was to source another lower mileage and much better condition Sachs for not too much money.

I did just find an Ohlins that I am going to freshen up and start using instead though!

Quote Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
    I just went through this same process a few months ago. Best solution was to source another lower mileage and much better condition Sachs for not too much money.

I did just find an Ohlins that I am going to freshen up and start using instead though!
    Smart thing to do

apriliaforum newb
    For the sake of posterity.

I had the Sachs shock out of my Gen1 Tuono during the winter. I took it to a local guy who is a superbike mechanic by trade and he's owned an RSV previously. He said, yeah, Sachs, can't get specific parts but it's nothing special, off the shelf items off other brands fit.

Mine had a perished O ring and no nitrogen in it since god knows how long. Anyway, they can be readily serviced by a competent mechanic.

I replaced mine with a Penske. Cost less than Ohlins, has plenty of options for springs and settings, uses synthetic shock fluid (unlike Ohlins), never seen one break (unlike Ohlins) and no special tools needed to make changes or maintenance (unlike Ohlins). The Ohlins I have on other bikes are pretty nice, though.
    see ya later,

tony
    '03 Tuono Magnet Grey
    '05 BMW BCR '07 R1200S '78 R100
    ------------------------ ------------------------ ------------------------ ----------
    But Officer, I got here as fast as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by tmtuono View Post
    I replaced mine with a Penske. Cost less than Ohlins, has plenty of options for springs and settings, uses synthetic shock fluid (unlike Ohlins), never seen one break (unlike Ohlins) and no special tools needed to make changes or maintenance (unlike Ohlins). The Ohlins I have on other bikes are pretty nice, though.
    Penske is interesting. Are they sold in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by icozg13 View Post
    Penske is interesting. Are they sold in Europe?

The only dealer I see is in the UK but any good motorcycle service facility that does suspension work should be able to order them.

https://www.penskeshocks.com/product...ry/motorcycle/

I have the 8981 rear shock with the remote compression adjuster and also Penske valving up front with Racetech springs. Can't find the part number for the fork valving.
    The whole thing was done when the bike was still almost new by the infamous Ken Zeller. A bit firm at first but I guess you could say I grew into it over the years.
    see ya later,

tony
    '03 Tuono Magnet Grey
    '05 BMW BCR '07 R1200S '78 R100
    ------------------------ ------------------------ ------------------------ ----------
    But Officer, I got here as fast as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by tmtuono View Post
    The only dealer I see is in the UK but any good motorcycle service facility that does suspension work should be able to order them.

https://www.penskeshocks.com/product...ry/motorcycle/

I have the 8981 rear shock with the remote compression adjuster and also Penske valving up front with Racetech springs. Can't find the part number for the fork valving.
    The whole thing was done when the bike was still almost new by the infamous Ken Zeller. A bit firm at first but I guess you could say I grew into it over the years.
    Thanks for info. If it is a bit hard it shouldn't be a problem. Faster you go it will work better. If unit is hard it needs more force to compress... More speed, more force... I think like everything I'll get used to it and just go on riding. Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast