Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Wsbk 2019

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    If Rea is the GOAT, what does that make Haslam, who just recently started riding that bike and he is on about the same pace as Rea?
    Rea has been the class of the field the last few years. Some of that is down to his skill, but some of it was clearly down to him being on the best bike.
    As to the Ducati, so far only one guy is doing great on the new Ducati. Perhaps that will change over the course of the season, but right now it is only the one guy on it that is crushing everyone else. And he wasn't just crushing them down the straight, he was crushing them throughout the entire lap of P.I.. At this point credit goes to Bautista. He was the only guy on the Ducati who could run anywhere near that pace.
    Rea needs to step his pace up and clear off from Haslam if he wants a shot at being the GOAT in WSBK. It would help if he beats Bautista as well, but at a minimum he needs to beat Haslam by more than he did last weekend. Time will tell. It looks like it will be the most interesting WSBK season I have seen in a while. And while I am not a Bautista fan per say, I am very happy to see him do well. He never really got enough respect in MotoGP, in spite of how well he did.
    I say that Rea may be the GOAT kind of tongue in cheek. He's maybe the Tom Brady of motorcycling right now (for those who follow American football).

It's too early in the season to tell if Haslam will be a consistent threat, but so far it's good to see. It goes to show just how far off Sykes was in comparison on the same bike.

But yeah, I think Alvaro is off to a great start. I'm guessing his experience in the premier league plus his familiarity with riding a V4 contributed to how well he rode, but we'll see if he can keep it up. That beat down he delivered is definitely a good sign though.

apriliaforum expert
    Speaking of Sykes, he must have been seriously disappointed. I thought the BMW was going to be like the BMW was before, a point and squirt bike with tons of power. Yet it seemed the BMW was a point and squirt bike that was down on power to everyone else. At least that is what the trap speeds seemed to say. Sykes could string a decent lap time on it by himself, but in traffic with other people he was getting bum rushed down the straight every time. I hope BMW can get their power back. Maybe Ducati could lend them some.
    I doubt the new Ducati is that much like the Ducati MotoGP bike. But maybe it is. I think Alvaro is simply gelling with it really well.
    Last edited by GuzziMoto; 02-26-2019 at 06:49 PM.

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    They were saying in commentary that BMW are being quite conservative with their new motor to start with, it's in no higher state of tune than the road bike while they assess reliability - hopefully they'll ramp it up soon.
    Not like Ducati, they've developing their bike for the past 2 years with the likes of Pirro on board, no surprise it's as good as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    They were saying in commentary that BMW are being quite conservative with their new motor to start with, it's in no higher state of tune than the road bike while they assess reliability - hopefully they'll ramp it up soon.
    Not like Ducati, they've developing their bike for the past 2 years with the likes of Pirro on board, no surprise it's as good as it is.
    that's no surprise.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Iím gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    I think there was some serious BS politics going on at Kawasaki with an agenda on destabilising Sykes and forcing him out. I doubt they will try it with Leon and it probably wouldn't work anyway

Sykes' one lap pace was never in doubt, but he could not make the tyres last. Or at least that is the way it looked to me. He has speed and we'll see if it can flourish more with BMW.

About Bautista's crushing performance. I am gobsmacked. Will be even more if it turns out it is mostly down to the rider. Not because I don't want to believe in his abilities but still carry a fantasy that the top WSBK lads are properly fast racers all road racing categories included.
    Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

apriliaforum expert
    You reallly can't judge Bautista's performance until all the bikes are limited to the same max rpm. He's certainly more in tune with the Ducati than Chaz or Eugene, but I'm not convinced he would dominate JR without the extra 1500 rpm of power (around 10% more HP).
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    1983 Yamaha XJ650LK Seca Turbo
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Remember Baustia is only 127lbs. That's free hp. And he's about 5' 4" so he can tuck in better, more aero.
    Pete

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Laverty and Davies are not in the same class as Bautista. How many GP wins do those two have between them ?

^^^^

Does not really apply here. How many does AB have? 0
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

ouch.

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Iím gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    Laverty and Davies are not in the same class as Bautista. How many GP wins do those two have between them ?
    If we don't count 125 and 250 they all have zero, including Bautista. How many GP aliens have they crashed? Not sure of the number but I know Bautista is ahead on that card.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

double ouch!

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

ape66

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    If we don't count 125 and 250 they all have zero, including Bautista. How many GP aliens have they crashed? Not sure of the number but I know Bautista is ahead on that card.
    i admit that for years i have wished the scud missle they call bautista would suffer a demise unwarranted of top racers LOL

the level of midfield GP and Moto2 riders, i would go out on a limb and say, is still towards the top of WSBK. the immen$e pressure to perform and the learning curve is much greater. so much more to learn from other riders. in SBK even rea was pushed upward by the level of competition during his time on the honda. much like how rea "suddenly" became dominant upon his switch to the track developed ninja, bautista is coming from a top level bike in a top level field to a neutered GP bike (dont think that it isnt).

right now, today, fresh off a dominant weekend at a HP track, bautista is the man. lets see if that translates to the more technical circuits.
    (editorial: i hope he wipes the floor with both those kawis. #notaducatifanboi)

haslam, as well as he rode last year, showed his true colors in race1. he's riding the most advanced ninja in the world and will be in the mix however, expect more of the same from haslam come crunchtime. he will never "beat" rea.

poor davies. if he doesnt get healty, find a sweet spot, or whatever, he will be the next tom sykes.

dark horse: melandri and his emo ass

hcrash.net/wsbk/dall-igna-motogp-connection

“The architecture of the bike is more close now with MotoGP. So I think we can put on the Superbike more experience that comes from MotoGP.”

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast