Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Wsbk 2019

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    ^
    Check the video if possible (unless you have).
    Yeah, I watched it over and also did it on pause play.......I don't see how Toprak can be held at fault, he's not on an unusual line and he was the bike in front....first corner of any race is pretty hectic to be involved in, its not an 'after you Claude' situation.....there was plenty going on and I don't see how Toprak was supposed to see AB coming up the inside from behind as well as deal with everything else that was going on.

Are folks suggesting that Toprak deliberately cut his nose off and brought him down? I can't accept that.

What I see is Alvaro arriving at the corner faster than those around him and trying to squeeze up the inside into a diminishing gap....it didn't work out.

The guy has hit the panic button since he stopped dominating and he's not handling the situation well at all.

^
    At least I am not suggesting Toprak did it on purpose.
    Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

apriliaforum expert
    I am confident that Toprak did not hit AB on purpose. It was incidental from his point of view. Laguna Seca turn one and two on the first lap you can't just take the normal racing line, unless you got the hole shot. Everyone else needs to adjust their line based on where others are around them. The run to turns one and two is short and everyone tends to get there at the same time. AB was on the inside, Toprack was going faster and on the outside. He cut down to the apex, and AB was there. He took out AB's front tire. I don't think he meant to. It was a classic Marquez pass, Toprak went by AB into turn two, and simply made contact contact with AB on his way by. As someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight, neither an AB fan or a Toprak fan, it was two guys going for the same apex. But if you are passing someone you are obligated to do it without making contact, and if it is two guys side by side the guy on the inside typically has right of way. But, as I mentioned at the start, I am confident that Toprak did not hit AB on purpose. It was one of those racing deals that we have gotten used to nowadays.

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Looks like Thailand is off the WSBK calendar next year and their spot is being taken as MotoGP is moving it earlier in their schedule to help make room for a Finland round next year (taking it to 20 races) and sounds like GP wants to expand to 22 races in 2021. Wonder where they might get two more races from. I doubt we'll be getting another US round at either Laguna or Indy again. I don't think the market is there and Austin is one of the least attended rounds on the GP calendar. Back to South America, Brazil again maybe? More southeast Asia rounds? Shanghai again? Any ideas on what would make good GP tracks that might draw enough of a crowd?
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    Looks like Thailand is off the WSBK calendar next year and their spot is being taken as MotoGP is moving it earlier in their schedule to help make room for a Finland round next year (taking it to 20 races) and sounds like GP wants to expand to 22 races in 2021. Wonder where they might get two more races from. I doubt we'll be getting another US round at either Laguna or Indy again. I don't think the market is there and Austin is one of the least attended rounds on the GP calendar. Back to South America, Brazil again maybe? More southeast Asia rounds? Shanghai again? Any ideas on what would make good GP tracks that might draw enough of a crowd?
    Funny, I was just reading about how the Laguna Seca round of WSBK is the highest attended round of that series.

No idea if WSBK has a replacement for Thailand. If you look at the stands at pretty much every SBK race there's barely anyone there at ANY of them. I have to wonder how much money WSBK is making or losing each year. Though maybe there's enough potential there since Honda seems to finally be giving a crap about it for the first time in a couple decades.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)

will one of them be another UAE stop? F1 might be.......

or saudi or something
    "death from misadventure"

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Iím gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

Lowes will not be back on the Yamaha next year.... Toprak replaces him..

https://www.visordown.com/news/racin...TK1RrGGAMHIqaY
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Wsbk ain’t losing money you can bet on that. Thailand is a horrible bike track and I’m glad to see it go. For us common folk in the US, Laguna is a pain in the a$$ to attend. Spectating sucks, prices are astronomical, and the track is objectively not that great other than historical significance. I’d rather see them go to COTA, Indy, or Road America if they keep a US round.

Kawasaki is foolish to let Toprak go. He's been on a tear lately. Hope he gels well with the Yamaha and can keep fighting for podiums.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Prospected View Post
    Wsbk ain’t losing money you can bet on that. Thailand is a horrible bike track and I’m glad to see it go. For us common folk in the US, Laguna is a pain in the a$$ to attend. Spectating sucks, prices are astronomical, and the track is objectively not that great other than historical significance. I’d rather see them go to COTA, Indy, or Road America if they keep a US round.
    Miller is a great track just in a horrible location. Road America is a great track but the paddock area seems a little lacking compared to what SBK is used to and not much in the way of spectating for a track its size (not that WSBK would draw much of a crowd anyway). Also probably not in an ideal location for an international series.

COTA would make the most sense for another US WSBK round but it would probably need to run with MotoAmerica to draw sufficient numbers and isn't MA already on the GP weekend?
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)

It is, but with an abbreviated schedule with not all classes running. With WSBK they were able to run all classes at Laguna.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert
    As mentioned, the WSBK attendance numbers for Laguna Seca were some of the best numbers for the series this year.
    I am not a fan of COTA, it is a disappointing track from a racing perspective. It looks good on paper, and the extensive paved runoff looks great on TV all painted up. But the track layout doesn't seem to promote great bike racing.
    Indy is not a great track either, but it is a better location to hold a race (they know what they are doing and the numbers for a bike race aren't even a large crowd to them).
    While I am a big fan of Road America it isn't likely to get a world series race, but if it did I would likely go.
    While there are other tracks that might be capable of hosting a WSBK race in this country, some of them on the east coast, I can't really think of any that seem like a likely bet.

Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    Kawasaki is foolish to let Toprak go. He's been on a tear lately. Hope he gels well with the Yamaha and can keep fighting for podiums.
    +1...gosh,he turned the fastest lap at the tests couple days ago. he,s on fire,give him a factory ride and then watch him win races.

[QUOTE=Prospected;4612800]Wsbk ain’t losing money you can bet on that. Thailand is a horrible bike track and I’m glad to see it go. For us common folk in the US, Laguna is a pain in the a$$ to attend. Spectating sucks, prices are astronomical, and the track is objectively not that great other than historical significance. I’d rather see them go to COTA, Indy, or Road America if they keep a US round.[/QUOthey need to dump a bunch of dough into road america for the pits/facilities; then it would be great. like that track. doesn't help me though. wrong part of the country.
    "death from misadventure"

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Iím gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast