Thread: Chinese starter installation fail. Don't let this be you.

apriliaforum prov-nov

Chinese starter installation fail. Don't let this be you. SUCCESS

Right after replacing the sprag clutch assembly, the starter decided to die. I popped it open and there was some broken bit inside. The idea of cheap solution and a bit of time pairs well with my current unemployed state. I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I followed info as seen in this thread: https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...hinese+starter

After a few rounds of grinding I noticed a problem with the starter I got. Though I measured the spacing on the mounting tabs, I failed to notice that axis of the starter spline is different than on the Aprilia starter. See attached photo. I bolted them together back to back. There is no way I would consider mounting this with one bolt. Also, if the starter you are using is ~60mm diameter or larger, I see no way to grind it down without opening up the case but this is not necessarily a deal breaker.

Can someone confirm what starter they have fitted and working? Any photos of how much was grinded away?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chinese starter.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	423.7 KB 
ID:	374991  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190223_104232[1] (2).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	486.6 KB 
ID:	375915  

Name:	starter.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	375917  

Last edited by Racer117; 03-01-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    2007 RXV 450, 1996 Ducati 900SS, 1994 Honda NSR MC28SP, 1993 Honda NSR MC21R, 2002 Yamaha WR426

thats rather normal, you need adapter to properly attach chineese starter to cases.

The most important thing is to have starter laying correctly into cases - grinding is necessary
    2006 Aprilia SXV 450
    Tuneboy Cable available in Poland

apriliaforum expert
    Seriously if the Original starter isn't doing it for you, it's not the starter...

Mapping, set up, and a good battery...

I've recently built and set up a RXV450 that has the Cold Start solenoid...

After being set up correctly and with a good battery, a good battery that spins the motor fast is key, the bike starts as fast and as reliably as any bike I have ever seen and is the best starting XV I've dealt with...

it is easy, but original died, guy wanted to fix it cheap. He is not claiming, that original one is to weak :P
    2006 Aprilia SXV 450
    Tuneboy Cable available in Poland

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by levisik View Post
    thats rather normal, you need adapter to properly attach chineese starter to cases.

The most important thing is to have starter laying correctly into cases - grinding is necessary
    I understand the starter needs to be ground to clear the engine case. Did you make an adaptor/spacer to mount to the case? Looks like mounting tabs on the Chinese starter are a few mm away from case. Any photos? Thanks for info.

I can go to ebay and buy a new Aprilia starter for less than $90USD but when they state no state "no guarantees, no returns..." I am very hesitant to get it. Obviously not returning the Chinese starter now but at least I could spin it up and know that it works and have the recourse to return it if it didn't.
    2007 RXV 450, 1996 Ducati 900SS, 1994 Honda NSR MC28SP, 1993 Honda NSR MC21R, 2002 Yamaha WR426

The first chinese starter i bought ,same as yours failed in about a 1,5 years of daily riding.
    Replaced all the internalls from a taiwanese starter that made to be used with chinese bikes with stroker kits etc.Made for drag use. Its much more powerfull and almost impossible to failed.
    Its 4 been 4 years since did the job then and its still working as new.

apriliaforum prov-nov

Success

Follow up:

So I did get this to fit and work. Thanks again to OP for the idea. But, this IS NOT A 20 MINUTE JOB!

I stated that this Chinese starter could not fit without grinding open the case but now I think it might be possible to fit without opening up the case. Mind you, the case would be very thin. My problem is that I failed to notice another part of the engine case that was interfering with fitting the starter. In the first attached photo, I've circled a small area of the starter that also must get grounded down. It fits right in but needs something to attach to the engine case. I made 2 20.2mm spacers. I've seen a photo of someone who crudely fabbed up some Z brackets as well. If you want to use spacers as I did, you will have to trim back the upper mounting tab and slightly open up the hole on the lower mounting tab.

I also had to tap the positive electrical fitting to M6.

This starter's drive gear is a few mm shorter than the stock one but it will still properly engage the starter gear.

And the stock Aprilia bash guard will barely fit around the starter motor. Did I mention that this is going to take you longer than 20 minutes??!!

If I did this again.... I wouldn't. I'd probably gamble and buy a new stock (and apparently unreturnable) starter and bolt it right up.

Looks like the armature on my stock starter is good so if anyone wants it....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190223_104232[1] (2).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	486.6 KB 
ID:	375919  

Name:	starter.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	375920  

Last edited by Racer117; 03-01-2019 at 02:13 PM.

I recently purchased a OEM style starter, made in china, for 70 Euro. it was delievrd in 2 days to italy..i was surprised. I havent tried it yet but it looks good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starter chinese.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	376354

apriliaforum Junkie
    It should be the same like the chinese WR450 starter. Just with correct end cap

I installed the chinese starter today.. So far so good. motor starts in 2 sec.

apriliaforum newb
    You will not regret never for this mod, i recommended to everyone, cheers