Thread: Rear shock and other bits long overdue

Rear shock and other bits long overdue

I got an early spring cleaning itch, and decided to take the back of my Futura apart. It's now sitting in the middle of the garage with the swingarm and everything that goes along with it scattered on the floor and in the makeshift parts cleaning tub.

I`ve replaced the rear tire a few times in the last 16 years, but never removed the crush drive and axle. The cush drive bolt was tight. Everything came apart nicely, and without any fuss at all. The axle cleaned up nicely, and the king bearing looks to be in fine condition, and will live a while longer with some fresh grease. It surprised me when I barely pushed on it, and it slid out the right side. Not what I was expecting after reading some of the horror stories posted here.

Dropping the cat took some wiggling and a short pry bar. Hope it goes back on easier, but not likely. I managed to pull the swingarm axle without buying a special tool. It cleaned up nicely too. The dog bone needle bearings were rusty, and will need replacement along with the seals. Drove them out with a drift after heating the dog bone.

I haven`t removed the eccentric hub yet. I'm awaiting delivery of extra large retaining ring pliers. I'll make a closer inspection of the swingarm pivot bearings at that point to see if they should be replaced. The eccentric is getting a bit sticky, and feels like some grit has gotten in there. A few shots of Teflon dry lube should cure that.

The shock is worn after 54,000 miles of abuse. I should have replaced it years ago, but kept procrastinating. I read every post I could find on the rear shock, and replacement options. I even considered having the old Sachs rebuilt with a higher rate spring. Traxxion Dynamics is willing to do the job for $350-$380. Another option would be a used Mille or Tuono shock that I could also have rebuilt and a new spring. That would put the investment up to around $500. That's too close to the price of a shiney, new Wilbers shock made to order with a warranty. So I contacted Cogent Dynamics just to see what they could do. They are willing to rebuild the Sachs as well for about the same price as TD. They told me that they no longer sell the Penske shock, but would be able to sell me a Wilbers shock at a competitive price. Delivery will be 3-4 weeks or so. That will leave plenty of time to spruce up the rest of the rear, replace the worn bearings, and start on the forks. The fork springs should probably be upgraded to play well with the upgraded rear spring. I haven't ever had those apart either. Need to check the rectifier/regulator too. 16 years has flown by since I found my Futura in the window of the Aprilia dealer. I only went in to get an oil filter for my 96 Ducati 900 CR.
    Walt Steele

'02 Ash Black Futura
    '18 Royal Enfield Himalayan
    '67 Triumph TR6R

How much would it cost to ship a futura from Australia. Mine has an new ohlins rear shock, new clutch slave new raidal pull clutch and brake master cylinder new 4 piston caliapers h pipe, new cans, new front rotors, front forks have been rebuilt set up on the dump to match the ohlins and much more. The h pipe and all parts except the rear shock are from AF1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have a Penske. It’s very nice. And I’ll bet if you call Penske direct they can set you up. That said, I’ve never bought anything from Cogent, but the owner seems very open, honest, and budget minded - I’d trust him. Traxxion Dynamics also reputable, but theyre big enough that I don’t think they’re going to really care that much about getting a Futura suspension right.

i have similar misgivings about Racetech; they have a Futura spec kit, but the service is very inconsistent at best. But the gold valve kit does work well for the front forks, once you figure it out.

Sam

I replaced my 11,000-ish mile rear shock with an Ohlins <link>, which left me with a low mileage OEM spare... let me know if you're interested in it.
    Last edited by photoRotor; 02-13-2019 at 10:49 PM.
    JD

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

I personally know the owner of Cogent and his wife. Good people.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    I personally know the owner of Cogent and his wife. Good people.
    Apparently one of the employees knows you as well. It was in one of your posts that I found out about CD.

They seem to be very nice to work with. I'm sure the profit margin on a single Wilbers shock might cover the cost of a 6 pack of Green Man.
    Walt Steele

'02 Ash Black Futura
    '67 Triumph TR6R

Quote Originally Posted by bisy View Post
    How much would it cost to ship a futura from Australia. Mine has an new ohlins rear shock, new clutch slave new raidal pull clutch and brake master cylinder new 4 piston caliapers h pipe, new cans, new front rotors, front forks have been rebuilt set up on the dump to match the ohlins and much more. The h pipe and all parts except the rear shock are from AF1.

Probably less than the price of a new Ohlins shock.
    Walt Steele

'02 Ash Black Futura
    '67 Triumph TR6R

Quote Originally Posted by Motoespresso View Post
    I have a Penske. It’s very nice. And I’ll bet if you call Penske direct they can set you up. That said, I’ve never bought anything from Cogent, but the owner seems very open, honest, and budget minded - I’d trust him. Traxxion Dynamics also reputable, but theyre big enough that I don’t think they’re going to really care that much about getting a Futura suspension right.

i have similar misgivings about Racetech; they have a Futura spec kit, but the service is very inconsistent at best. But the gold valve kit does work well for the front forks, once you figure it out.

Sam
    The Penske was a bit above my budget for this project anyway. The Wilbers will be fine for me. I had no complaints with the Sachs that a stiffer spring wouldn't have cured. That is until it got some age on it. Should have upgraded that piece years ago.
    Last edited by kokomoto; 02-14-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    Walt Steele

'02 Ash Black Futura
    '67 Triumph TR6R

If you wanted to try to have the stocker rebuilt, I have one or two here not being used to avoid down time. Cogent does great work but their turnaround is not the fastest.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    If you wanted to try to have the stocker rebuilt, I have one or two here not being used to avoid down time. Cogent does great work but their turnaround is not the fastest.
    Thanks Ron.

I'm OK with the down time. I have just about talked myself out of the rebuild option. I am still willing to be educated though. $600 for a new Wilbers vs $400 for a rebuilt 16 year old Sachs?

Still waiting to hear back from Cogent.
    Walt Steele

'02 Ash Black Futura
    '67 Triumph TR6R

Quote Originally Posted by kokomoto View Post
    Probably less than the price of a new Ohlins shock.
    Thatís what I was thinking

I snapped these photos as I was disassembling the rear axle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0979.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	485.7 KB 
ID:	375055

Name:	IMG_0980.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	491.8 KB 
ID:	375056

Name:	IMG_0981.jpg