Thread: Change out the in tank fuel internals or not?

apriliaforum Junkie

Change out the in tank fuel internals or not?

Got everything to the point where the tank goes on to Capo #1. Long haul interrupted by buying other bikes, house stuff, property stuff, stuff's stuff... Capo#2 continues to run like butter on a heated banister.

I have in hand a brand new fuel pump with all the goodies that go inside the tank. Is it a good idea to just take out the innards of the tank and throw the new bits inside or just keep it as is and do it when actually needed?

The internals are all original so it's an age thing not mileage (which is <4000). No tank warpage, no leaks, the epoxy seal on the electrics is good, no cracks. I do have another tank, as new that I had coated and not seen gas. I could just keep it as ready spare so if something went on the primary I could just take one off and put the other in it's place and deal with remedial issues as time allowed.
    What do you mean -why do I have 2 ETV Caponords? I also have 2 arms, 2 ears, 2 legs, 2 eyes and 2 butt cheeks, I don't see the problem.

Leave well enough alone. Wish I had a spare. Just check for leaks regularly.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie
    Thanks. Makes sense.

The spares ...you buy them, store them, accumulate them and then eventually give them away because you never needed them. Almost the same thing as extended warranties.

Bought the extended warranty on our LG laundry set. The inlet solonoid water valves started leaking about three years in just a few months before the extended warranty ran out. Would have been $400. We payed $70. @ $100 for the warranty it was worth it.
    In tank fuel pumps are very reliable. That said we lost pumps in both our cars in one month. A LeBaron and an Astro Van. Go figure. Same in tank pump but the Astro was $40 to the LeBaron's $85. And I mean the same exact pump..

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Hans, I would not worry about the tank pump stuff. Your original should be fine for many, many miles. Capo #2 is more likely to need it before #1, just because of the service and heat/cooling cycles. If you feel the need change out Capo #2 at 65,000 miles - that's 8 years from now - LOL.
    06' Caponord

apriliaforum Junkie
    Thanks Matt. That Capo#2 runs so darn good. I really have to figure out something other than #1 and #2.
    What do you mean -why do I have 2 ETV Caponords? I also have 2 arms, 2 ears, 2 legs, 2 eyes and 2 butt cheeks, I don't see the problem.