Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Aprilia RS4 50 tuning problem

Today do test with new spark plug. 1km full throttle on 5 speed 105 km/hour. What do you think about it? Short test or lean main jet?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1489.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	386239

This spark plug after 2 days in city use. Looking little rich.

Name:	IMG_1483 (изменено).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	386240
    Aprilia RS4 2011, Malossi MHR Replica 79cc, Top Racing (Jasil) crankshaft, Polini 21 carburetor, Polini reed valve, Polini intake manifold, Stage6 boost bottle, Polini clutch, Giannelli exhaust , 14/53 gearing.

The first one does look rich, but second one looks fine. In general for a street bike to be a little bit on the rich side is a good thing. That way it can deal with some atmospheric changes.

Oh my God! Looking what cooland come again. And looking so what during 2 days street use not come, but after run on big speed come again (high rpm).
    How much Head nut torque? In Polini manual nothing, I use Aprilia manual value 19Nm. (19-22 Nm)
    Now I tighten till 22Nm. Will do one more test today.

Name:	IMG_1490.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	386290
    Last edited by Doser; 08-11-2019 at 05:19 AM.
    Aprilia RS4 2011, Malossi MHR Replica 79cc, Top Racing (Jasil) crankshaft, Polini 21 carburetor, Polini reed valve, Polini intake manifold, Stage6 boost bottle, Polini clutch, Giannelli exhaust , 14/53 gearing.

What does the bottom side of the head insert look like? Do you have a photo?

Hello, ToraTora.

After head tighten till 22Nm not have leakage. Was tested during some days till 100km/hour speed, about till 10000rpm. Still not tested on full rpm range till 13000.
    I remember from fist day use of Polini kit, we had this problem with leakage on big rpm. It was hard to see, where the leak came from, but now I sure it was.

Today I received new gaskets set from Polini, but if not have leakage in future I not will change our installed gaskets. Under the head kit have only one O-ring.

Name:	IMG_1501.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	386550

Name:	IMG_1451.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	386551

If anybody have thinking about my problem, please help with idea. Coolant come again, I not have ideas any more.

If I understand correctly, I have two variants of coolant leakage to crankshaft :

1. Under head
    2. Under cylinder

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	387080

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	387081
    Last edited by Doser; 08-22-2019 at 12:43 PM.

My thoughts:

1. Pressure of standard pump very big on big rpm, need to change on electric.
    2. Polini kit have problems (defective). New gaskets not help.
    3. Problem with pressure in the cooling system > radiator plug 1bar

apriliaforum Member
    well depending upon your max revs Doser has made some valid points
    these issues can be very frustrating.
    go right back to basics
    are all of the mating surfaces still flat? check very carefully even a minor warp can be a major issue
    are you using a jointing compound as well as the gasket set?

If you get a fairly new piece of glass you can check to see if the mating surfaces are flat. If they are not then you can use some sand paper laid on the glass to make sure you have a flat plane with which to remove some issues (if they are small enough). But if you have warped the head, say from over heating, then it might be easier to replace it.

I think Kaldis was having a similar issue with his bike. You may find some answers in his project thread.

Quote Originally Posted by anotheronetoday View Post
    well depending upon your max revs Doser has made some valid points
    these issues can be very frustrating.
    go right back to basics
    are all of the mating surfaces still flat? check very carefully even a minor warp can be a major issue
    are you using a jointing compound as well as the gasket set?
    usually I not use any sealant with new gaskets. Only if use old gaskets put sealant. Better use new gaskets always.

I try check surfaces and canít find curved surface.

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    If you get a fairly new piece of glass you can check to see if the mating surfaces are flat. If they are not then you can use some sand paper laid on the glass to make sure you have a flat plane with which to remove some issues (if they are small enough). But if you have warped the head, say from over heating, then it might be easier to replace it.

I think Kaldis was having a similar issue with his bike. You may find some answers in his project thread.
    Hello, ToraTora. Kaldis issues show me what if problem with o-ring, bubbles come to coolant. I think have leakage in another place.

Was good price and I did not have the patience to work with the Polini cylinder further.

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	387580

apriliaforum Member
    Good luck with new kit, have you had a chance to try it out yet ?

Is it an aluminium cylinder ? I know the malossi kits are meant to be good
    2010 TZR50 70cc Top Performances Trophy
    21mm CP
    Technigas ebox
    Top Performances reeds

Yes, both aluminum. We use Malossi kit some days already. Looks like Polini, may be slightly less power. On this moment without leakage.
    Like me 4 nut over the cylinder cover. This all for cylinder and cover tightening, not need tight many screws.

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	387677

If switching kits fixed the leak then it probably wasn't a main seal, but you should check them anyway since the seals could have been blown out.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011