Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil level raising a bit

Mapping is not my forte, it’s Mark’s. I know it’s hard for some people to believe that a couple of hayseeds from the edge of the outback know more about W5AM/8V Guzzi’s than ‘Tuning Experts’ in Europe and the US but I’m afraid it is true. I’ve spent the last ten years getting to find out how the engine works and why it breaks along with what works by way of simple ‘Enhancements’. Mark is an electrical engineer who works for General Electric as a day job. Neither of us are stupid.

Believe me. That map is too rich and your bike is running sub optimally. Unfortunately it’s been changed for the worse using obsolete and unhelpful ‘Tuning’ ideas from half a century ago that simply won’t work with this motor. If the owner is happy with it? That’s fine. We can’t help. Especially from half a world away via the internet.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks, I certainly belive that you are experts, and accept that the map can be rich. Can you just tell me where is rich? In the midrange? I can certainly correct it

At the same way you should believe me when I say that the bike runs very well with that map, because I also know quite well these bikes and have tested plenty of them, and my Stelvio runs well, with normal consumption and no black deposits on plugs.
    The only issue is the oil level raising, which was present from the beginning, so BEFORE loading that map.
    This is the strange thing I'd like to sort.

I have no idea why it is *Making* more oil. There can only be so many reasons for this and I think they've been covered.

As for where the map is rich? (I'd guess though that it's almost everywhere because it will of been built from the precept of factory maps using the W5AM are 'Lean'.) Ask Mark but he's already told me he has no interest in buying into a butchered clusterfuck from half a world away.

Do we 'Know it all?' Certainly not! In fact right now we are trying to address some serious temperature issues with the ETS of the 1400. We do know a poorly thought out solution to a problem approached in a simplistic way.

Sorry.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ok I'll not disturb him.
    At the end we've probably addressed the problem: the map is rich, some gasoline is going down to the sump and some 'water' from condensation is mixing with the oil, that's it. The strange thing is that the bike runs (very) well and has normal consumption, but I'll not insist more on this.

Yesterday I did a test: arrived home from work (done 10km., air temp -1) I immediately connected the Guzzidiag to check oil temperature: it was 48, so you are right, the oil is running cold and this is very bad for the engine. But that's it, I must use the bike for my needs not for 'her' needs

apriliaforum expert
    One of your needs is a bike that stays reliable over the long haul and gives you a good return on your investment so it is in your best interest to get her sorted out before too much collateral damage occurs.

Yes pretty difficult to help with a modified bike from so far away however you will want to pursue ways to correct the cold oil issue and such since you need it to get warm enough to cook off at least the condensation that's getting into the oil.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    During the week I ride it everyday on short distances, going to work and doing some commissions, but in the weekends I normally ride longer distances up the mountains, also hi-revving the engine when the road allows to, and the oil is certainly warming up in that circumstances. So I think my use is pretty normal for the bike itself.
    Really, I'm not able to say why the oil level is growing up,as there's absolutely no signal of something going wrong: the bike runs perfectly, power seems to be the same as always, fuel consumption is absolutely regular...really no idea. For this reason I don't know what to do to fix the issue.

Mark is plumbing one onto the Griso 1400, I have one on the shelf but I'm using my 8V's as Controls in the experiment.

Certainly the oil in 8V's runs absurdly cool, (The 8V does NOT have a thermostat.) but whether this is a serious problem mechanically in roller tappet motors remains to be seen, hence the experiment.

1400 Stelvio is almost ready to fire up! Just got to sort a way of getting a good reading for the ETS and it's ready to go.

Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12