Thread: Error message "! SERVICE"

apriliaforum prov-nov

Error message "! SERVICE"

So my faithful T that hasn't given me a day's trouble in the six years I've owned it, finally got sick on a gentle Sunday morning ride.

I pulled in the clutch and closed the throttle to negotiate a patch of sand in a corner and instead of returning to idle, the motor just died. I pulled over punched the starter button and it started but needed some throttle to stay alive and would not idle, simply dying on a closed throttle.

This message came up on the dash.

Name:  Error.PNG
Views: 300
Size:  24.9 KB

I rode home slowly and it seemed to run ok for a while, then started an intermittent jerking almost as if the power was rapidly and repeatedly being cut off and switched back on again. Got home but she ain't a happy girl. Temp and oil pressure are good so it must be ECU or instrument panel. Disconnected my headlights and taped up the connectors a few weeks ago as I've been doing track days mainly. Not sure if that may have something to do with it.

Anyone had a similar experience and if so, what was the outcome?
    Current
    Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    Past
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 trail
    Suzuki GS1000S
    Suzuki GSX750
    Yamaha RD350LC
    Suzuki GT550

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I had a issue where I was riding and when I got on it it would start going good and then fall on its face like you hit the kill switch and then back to life on and off. After like 5 more miles I was blowing fuses. Well after checking a few things I could not find the short until I unplugged a few plugs up by the clutch cover and then instead of a fuse popping white smoke poured out right above the clutch cover. My problem was a wire that wore thru and when I unplugged i think the speed sensor it did not cause the fuse to pop but caused it to short out and burn the wires. The good news was I had found the issue but had to find all the burned wires and repair them and since no more problems. so if you start popping fuses next you may have a short somewhere

My bike acted the same way when my stator was burned out.

apriliaforum newb Being_a_Racer's Avatar
    I had an issue similar to yours when i got mine last year. Under any type of throttle input it would start to sputter and surge. If you clutched in it would just die, but wouldn't hesitate to fire right back up. There was no rhyme or reason to when this would occur. Warm, cold 10 min into a ride, or 2 hours into a ride, this would just randomly happen. Sometimes the service light would come on, sometimes not.

After much tinkering i found both tank vents to be plugged, and the little ball vent at the gas cap had failed. I took care of this, and the problem was still not gone. I pulled the tank off again and pulled the pump. My tank was FILTHY inside. I cleaned it out and pulled the fuel filter. I couldn't even get compressed air to blow through it because it was so clogged up. A new fuel filter woke the bike up. This thing was starving for fuel for the first month or so of ownership. I haven't had an issue since.
    Gen2 Tuono 1000R
    GPR Exhaust | Map 2 | Airbox mod | Rizoma Bars | Pazzo Shorties | Racetech Cartridges | hilns Shock | Carbon bodywork

`01 SV650S Trackbike | '82 Yamaha XV920J Cafe project
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '05 Katana | '95 ZX-7 | '01 TL1000R | '10 R1 | '04 ZX-6R | '97 VFR750 | '03 SV1000 | '16 Street Bob | '05 XVS1100

Easy enough to check for dash errors in diagnostics area first.

apriliaforum newb
    Mine does this too... PO told me to just shut the bike down and restart it and it would go away. It does, but it comes back intermittently. I'm also definitely having charging problems so in my case hopefully fixing the charging problems will make it go away permanently. New Battery should be here soon... Then the Stator. If that doesn't make it go away the regulator is next.
    I plan on doing the "extra wire mod", the "connector delete mod", whatever it takes to see that lovely "14v" on the meter!
    I'll let everyone know how it goes...

Ever figure this out?
    Gen2 Tuono 1000R
    GPR Exhaust | Map 2 | Airbox mod | Rizoma Bars | Pazzo Shorties | Racetech Cartridges | hilns Shock | Carbon bodywork

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '05 Katana | '95 ZX-7 | '01 TL1000R | '10 R1 | '04 ZX-6R | '97 VFR750 | '03 SV1000 | '16 Street Bob | '05 XVS1100

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Being_a_Racer View Post
    Ever figure this out?
    I replaced my Stator and so far, no SERVICE! on the screen. It's generally charging at 14+ volts. I'm thinking it detected the low voltage and threw the code. I did not do the "extra" wire mods but I did get rid of the connector and soldered the wires instead.

Awesome! Glad shes sorted!
    Gen2 Tuono 1000R

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Being_a_Racer View Post
    Awesome! Glad shes sorted!
    I may have spoken too soon. I was cruising around Daytona on Saturday (Enjoying Bike-Week) and I had the SERVICE warning come on again. I was in the middle of Mainstreet Traffic so I just rode it out until I was out of the Mayhem. Then I simply shut the Bike down and re-started it and the message was gone... and remained gone for the rest of the day.
    It's important to note that the PO of my Tuono knew nothing about them and as far as I can tell NEVER maintained anything on the Bike. It has a Dynojet PC-V and quite a few other lighting mods that may very well be the cause. Or, the service warning might just be from a scheduled service that was supposed to be done and no one ever did it and cleared the code. I don't know. But the Bike is an Absolute Blast to ride and I had no problems as a result of the Warning. I'm probably going to assume all is well and just figure out how to clear that code and hope for the best. Wish me luck!