Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Race chip with PCIII?

  1. #1
    apriliaforum expert 4NIK8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Posts
    1,348

    Race chip with PCIII?

    So I am trying to figure out how to possibly lose the PCIII on my bike. I have a 2005 Tuono Factory and she runs great when warm but is a thirsty beast. I started to read the sticky and seems to be above my head. I am trying to figure out if I can use the Race Chip with the set up I have (Dual Akropovics and larger airbox) or does it have to be the Aprilia Race Can? Not trying to do this myself, but closest dealer is in Charlotte and I am wanting this thing finely tuned. Or is there a chip and tune anyone has used that gets this bike some solid MPGs without sacrificing performance that still includes the PCIII? Not trying to get a Prius quality MPG but going to be hard justifying getting around with just 23 MPG. I had an 03 that had the Race chip and can with Evoluzione air filter that got 45 MPG when I commuted and not much less when I beat the snot out it on back roads. This has the potential to just be a "what is your set-up" and "what kind of mileage are you getting" thread. Not that I will mind that! Just know that this current set up will not do.

  2. #2
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by 4NIK8R View Post
    So I am trying to figure out how to possibly lose the PCIII on my bike. I have a 2005 Tuono Factory and she runs great when warm but is a thirsty beast. I started to read the sticky and seems to be above my head. I am trying to figure out if I can use the Race Chip with the set up I have (Dual Akropovics and larger airbox) or does it have to be the Aprilia Race Can? Not trying to do this myself, but closest dealer is in Charlotte and I am wanting this thing finely tuned. Or is there a chip and tune anyone has used that gets this bike some solid MPGs without sacrificing performance that still includes the PCIII? Not trying to get a Prius quality MPG but going to be hard justifying getting around with just 23 MPG. I had an 03 that had the Race chip and can with Evoluzione air filter that got 45 MPG when I commuted and not much less when I beat the snot out it on back roads. This has the potential to just be a "what is your set-up" and "what kind of mileage are you getting" thread. Not that I will mind that! Just know that this current set up will not do.
    Contact Gabro and get yourself an F255 chip. It's a fabulous prom which I have run in all of my aprilia's at some point before I performed breathing (54 and later 57mm Throttle bodies) modifications. Here's my '02 RSV and '03 'R' as well as my racing. Geared 42/17 (which I prefer BY FAR) - All of them regularly return about 40-46 MPG depending......

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-07_04.24.53.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	527.9 KB 
ID:	374168

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuono Factory Racing - October 001.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	555.5 KB 
ID:	374166

    -doc

  3. #3
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    1,024
    BTW. I have NO tuning spoofers (i.e. power commander, etc) on any of my machines - not, that they wouldn't benefit by having one fitted, it's just been my experience that for my particular machines and the way I use them, it's simply unnecessary with proper tuning of existing bleed screws/ecu pots.

    I believe the fact they perform so flawlessly/efficiently - is an empirical testament to just how good Gabro is at his craft.......peerless IMHO.

    -doc

  4. #4
    apriliaforum expert 4NIK8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Posts
    1,348
    Thanks Doc! Yeah, last one I had was pretty simple mods and never left me wanting. This one for sure has more oomph, but sacrificing the smoothness for it isn't exactly what I had in mind. I started a thread a while ago about some tuning and got tons of info, but I am curious if keeping the PCIII is even worth it or if it is causing more trouble than it's worth.

  5. #5
    apriliaforum Junkie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chojnice POLAND
    Posts
    401
    Or FR200 chip. But I never tested Gabro one. I read somewere comparsion and somebody say that fr200 is more hooligan style,Gabro is more smooth. My T runs great with KN, collector mod, Arrow long can, throttle body set like they should . 16x44 gearing. Fuel consumption - it always take 10liters/100 but I have havy hand. My best is 8l/100. With std engine I think PC is pointless.

    Wysłane z mojego SM-J510FN przy użyciu Tapatalka

  6. #6
    apriliaforum expert JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Paimio, Finland
    Posts
    2,010
    Quote Originally Posted by 4NIK8R View Post
    Thanks Doc! Yeah, last one I had was pretty simple mods and never left me wanting. This one for sure has more oomph, but sacrificing the smoothness for it isn't exactly what I had in mind. I started a thread a while ago about some tuning and got tons of info, but I am curious if keeping the PCIII is even worth it or if it is causing more trouble than it's worth.
    If you change the chip the PC becomes pointless unless you retune the bike.
    Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

  7. #7
    apriliaforum expert kzmille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    18,678
    Quote Originally Posted by 4NIK8R View Post
    I am trying to figure out if I can use the Race Chip with the set up I have...
    What is this race chip?
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

  8. #8
    apriliaforum expert 4NIK8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Posts
    1,348
    From what I was told by the previous owner, it is an Aprilia Factory race chip.

  9. #9
    apriliaforum expert 4NIK8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    If you change the chip the PC becomes pointless unless you retune the bike.

    This is what I was hoping for. I can just remove the PC and reattach cords to proper designation and good to go? Still probably going to have it dynoed for reference.

  10. #10
    apriliaforum expert kzmille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    18,678
    Quote Originally Posted by 4NIK8R View Post
    From what I was told by the previous owner, it is an Aprilia Factory race chip.
    Why don't you try it without the PC. My experience is that the aprilia kit chips run pretty good and don't use excessive amounts of fuel.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

  11. #11
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1
    Hi! I have a gen 1 tuono with gen 2 57mm throtlebody
    Which eeprom passes?

  12. #12
    apriliaforum expert kzmille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    18,678
    You need a special chip for that. Forum member Gabro will be best able to help.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

  13. #13
    apriliaforum expert Motech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    Why don't you try it without the PC. My experience is that the aprilia kit chips run pretty good and don't use excessive amounts of fuel.
    ^ This ^

    Powe Commander units don't tune the map, they just piggyback hardwired circuits and add more injector on time where directed for richer fueling. By design, they will always increase fuel delivery and drop off economy.
    Last edited by Motech; 07-07-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

Similar Threads

  1. Factory Racing Chip
    By 2Die4It in forum RSV Tuono, Tuono R, Tuono Racing, and Tuono Factory (2002-2005)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 08:47 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 10:20 AM
  3. Should a PC3 custom map be done over the race chip or original chip?
    By scott2ride in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 07:40 AM
  4. Race Chips
    By late4work in forum SL1000 Falco Forum (all years)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 02:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •