Thread: Suspension upgrades

Suspension upgrades

I'm considering Andreani cartridges, but wondering if there are any other good options for respringing/revalving the fork out there. There are several rear shocks in the marketplace, but slim pickins up front! Anyone happen to know the stock spring rate?

I know there aren't many 1200s in the world, but ffs, this has to be the worst aftermarket in moto history!

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheels>4 View Post
    I'm considering Andreani cartridges, but wondering if there are any other good options for respringing/revalving the fork out there. There are several rear shocks in the marketplace, but slim pickins up front! Anyone happen to know the stock spring rate?

I know there aren't many 1200s in the world, but ffs, this has to be the worst aftermarket in moto history!
    It seems that there are only about 200, DD1200's in North America so yes it is is sparse for spares. That and the fact that the stock fork usually has more than enough adjustability for most riders. Have you played with settings on the stock one yet? Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RATMOUL View Post
    It seems that there are only about 200, DD1200's in North America so yes it is is sparse for spares. That and the fact that the stock fork usually has more than enough adjustability for most riders. Have you played with settings on the stock one yet? Tom
    I got the bike recently - it has 13k miles, with original fork oil. That, along with a cupped front tire (which I'm changing tomorrow), may very well be the culprit of why I don't find the front end very confidence-inspiring. What I do know, though, is that pushing down on the fork with full-tight rebound, it still comes up too quick and moves back down more than it should. Plus, with 10 clicks out on compression, I can't bottom out the fork with a wheelie or a stoppie. I shouldn't have to wind compression all the way out, nor turn rebound all the way in.

FWIW, this bike will serve 85-90% aggressive back-road riding and 10-15% trackdays.

The fork oil absolutely needs changing (and the steering head bearings are due for inspection)... but I just have a feeling I will be well served with new, higher performing internals for the kind of riding I do. Seems Andreani is an easy and cost effective option.

In general though, I question whether or not this platform is worth building on with the hope of turning it into a true "rider's bike".
    Last edited by 2wheels>4; 01-31-2019 at 01:02 AM.

apriliaforum Member
    I got the bike recently - it has 13k miles, with original fork oil. That, along with a cupped front tire (which I'm changing tomorrow), may very well be the culprit of why I don't find the front end very confidence-inspiring. What I do know, though, is that pushing down on the fork with full-tight rebound, it still comes up too quick and moves back down more than it should. Plus, with 10 clicks out on compression, I can't bottom out the fork with a wheelie or a stoppie. I shouldn't have to wind compression all the way out, nor turn rebound all the way in.

FWIW, this bike will serve 85-90% aggressive back-road riding and 10-15% trackdays.

The fork oil absolutely needs changing (and the steering head bearings are due for inspection)... but I just have a feeling I will be well served with new, higher performing internals for the kind of riding I do. Seems Andreani is an easy and cost effective option.

In general though, I question whether or not this platform is worth building on with the hope of turning it into a true "rider's bike".
    I hear you. Your expectations may be higher than some others. You will likely find a world of difference with a tire change. The stock Dunlops left a lot to be desired. New skins and some playing with the fork height in the triple tree's, and mine was transformed. Good luck and let us know what you did with this and how it worked out. Cheers Tom
    Last edited by RATMOUL; 03-15-2019 at 02:35 AM.

apriliaforum expert
    Might just need fresh, quality fork oil as well as new rubber.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

New rubber has certainly helped. Previous owner was running Metzeler Sportec 01, with the front tire showing some cupping. I went with a much more appropriate set-up: Battlax S21 rear, and RS-10 up front. Huge difference! I'll replace the fork oil, raise the fork a few mm up through the triple, and set sag... will see how that goes before throwing gobs of $$ at it.

New rubber has certainly helped. Previous owner was running Metzeler Sportec 01, with the front tire showing some cupping. I went with a much more appropriate set-up: Battlax S21 rear, and RS-10 up front. Huge difference! I'll replace the fork oil, raise the fork a few mm up through the triple, and set sag... will see how that goes before throwing gobs of $$ at it.
    Man, that PO sounds like a dick.
    You may need heavier springs too. Give SuperPlush or Race Tech a call.
    Also, Race Tech may have some Gold Valves even though the bike isn't listed on their site. I think it's a fairly standard Sachs part.
    Where are you on compression, rebound and preload? How much of the travel are you using?

I'm in the middle of doing fork oil and seals on the Beta. Give me a buzz if you want to get together and do the Dorso.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	betaforks.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	375002
    Last edited by jmardy; 02-13-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    2008 Tuono Factory, KTM 690 SMC/Enduro, 2005 BMW Boxer Cup Replika, 2010 KTM Supermoto SMT
    Previous: 2016 Ducati Hypermotard 939SP, 2012 Dorsoduro 1200, 2012 KTM 990 SMR, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2007 RSVR1000, 2008 KTM Duke 690, Beta 525 RS,blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by jmardy View Post
    Man, that PO sounds like a dick.
    You may need heavier springs too. Give SuperPlush or Race Tech a call.
    Also, Race Tech may have some Gold Valves even though the bike isn't listed on their site. I think it's a fairly standard Sachs part.
    Where are you on compression, rebound and preload? How much of the travel are you using?

I'm in the middle of doing fork oil and seals on the Beta. Give me a buzz if you want to get together and do the Dorso.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	betaforks.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	375002
    Ahahaha, not a dick - just terrible taste in rubber is all

Sup man!

I'm basically all the way in on rebound, and wayyy out on compression. Haven't set sag yet, so preload is in need of tuning as well... but so far, nowhere near bottom. Certainly open to throwing firmer springs in, but my hunch is that I'll be fine with new oil.

We're definitely due for a get-together either way! Stay dry, talk soon.....
    "Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better....being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube." - Hunter S. Thompson