Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Texas Mile 2019 on the Energica EGO

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I’ll onlu have 30A available at track so power flow into bike will be somewhat limited. Hopefully today I get another round of testing in prior to next dyno bike.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Micah, how many cells are in the bike's battery pack? They are probably cells just like the ones we use, but we only have two and relatively exposed to cooling air, so we can get away with charging at 20-35A/cell. That would equate to charging at thousands of amps on the bike? I doubt you could manage that without thermal runaway.
    A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More wine!
    And never lend a faggot your hat

Proud Member of Team Punisher and The Texas Mile 200 MPH club
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. - NaimChase
    When you ride a bike that tries to crawl out from underneath you at 150MPH with a slight twist you know you're on the right path. - TRexRacing

Hundreds, literally. Flat pack/rectangular plate style. It’s strapped to dyno charging for a below freezing test in morning as I’m getting one part in controller warm and once it exceeds 37C amperage is reduced.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Just two cells can deliver ~2hp when pushed to thermal limits.
    The 1500 gram cars we race have approximately 2000 scale hp. Yeah, they're really hard to drive at first, but once you get used to it (it takes a lot of "seat time" to develop the required skills) and figure out the chassis setup they are amazingly fast with incredible corner grip on a prepared clay surface with the moisture content just right.
    Turning the car in the air over big triple jumps to line up with the next fast sweeper is routine....you have to hit your marks within an inch or two every lap to be competitive.

Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. - NaimChase
    When you ride a bike that tries to crawl out from underneath you at 150MPH with a slight twist you know you're on the right path. - TRexRacing

It sounds like you need a CO2 bottle bleeding on the controller to control the temps.

The controller is water cooled by a Bosch water to air intercooler pump but the first part to exceed 37C does not trigger pump. It’s hotwired for morning test and FULLY charged. If I need to create a special N2 or CO2 cooling channel for this part...fuck, I will, not sure hw yet, but I will because if I run it in Bolivia or SCTA I’m gonna need WAY more than 22 seconds of full power

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

CO2 is far more practical than N2, it is a stable liquid at room temperature (think common fire extinguisher) and as such there is a lot of heat to be absorbed in a small bottle.

I’m moving to a “road” testing phase,the bike seems to know it’s on a dyno and is reducing power after 4-5 seconds WFO even maintaining 0-12C in controller this morning at zero dark thirty in the snow. That said, over 250 ftblbs is possible on launch at 400 amps delivered to motor at 335V...it’s like batshit crazy torque! That’s with the tallest gear ratio on the market....exactly the same unsurprising as the stock sprocket ratio...lol, keep have to remember to input standard temp, pressure and humidity for zero atmospheric trim on dyno.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

LuckyDave said something about Micah looking for a shortened shock? I have a shortened Sachs from The Punisher Texas Mile project. You are welcome to it if you think you can use it.

Team Punisher/AF1 Racing:
    World's Fastest Aprilia RSV 200.8mph
    Texas Mile Record Holder - Fastest Twin
    ------------------------------

2014/2015 Moto West Grand Prix Formula Singles Champion
    2016 WERA West Clubman Expert and D Superbike Champion

Can you send me dimensions in case my Öhlins unit doesn’t work out? Need to find a place to do some “road” testing ASAP. The bike knows from its IMU if it is on a dyno, you only get almost full power for 4-5 seconds and it’s not temperature dependent. I had no such issues in first “road” test on stock gearing.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Need to find a place to do some “road” testing ASAP. The bike knows from its IMU if it is on a dyno, you only get almost full power for 4-5 seconds and it’s not temperature dependent. I had no such issues in first “road” test on stock gearing.
    Dude, 130 Toll between Hutto and the 45, middle of the day. Even if you get pipped by the fuzz, just explain what you're trying to do. It happened to me on my racebike with number plates and no headlight; cop was totally chill and let me go.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Only two weeks until our next racing event... We are taking our all-electric, all-Italian Energica Ego for some top speed runs at the Texas Mile event.

Piloting our bike will be Erin Sills, a 30-time land speed record holder, and she has gone over 240mph before. Read more about her amazing racing career here: http://huntersillsracing.com/

We will also have a very special pit crew helping us go fast and set new records. Krystal Hess, and some veterans from her Motorcycle Missions organization will be on hand to assist in our efforts. Motorcycle Missions is a local Austin non-profit organization dedicated to helping veterans and 1st responders with PTSD through motorcycles. Please check out their website, and please donate to their very worthy cause.
    http://motorcycle-missions.org/

"At Motorcycle Missions we understand that much of the post traumatic stress (disorder) paradigm is that the need for purpose, camaraderie, and adrenaline is of the utmost importance. Our hope is to encourage our audience to instill a life-long passion for motorcycling, that will help them enjoy a happy, healthy, and balanced lifestyle after trauma."

Texas Mile Event Details: http://texasmile.net/texas-mile/ Stop by our pit, meet the whole team, and check out the bike.

Energica Ego - EXCITEMENT THAT’S MORE THAN JUST POWER. The heart of the Energica Ego is a synchronous oil-cooled motor with permanent magnets and a 11.7 kW lithium polymer battery. This delivers instantaneous and linear power, and torque far surpassing internal combustion engines of any sportbike. At 148 ft. lbs. of torque the Ego is capable of accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in under three seconds. With a factory limited top speed of 150mph, AF1 Racing has a few tricks up its sleeves that should push it well past 150mph. Read more about the bike here: http://www.energicamotorusa.com

Thanks for the update Ed. I've been watching for news on this.

Sounds like you have a capable and competent crew and pilot. Wishing you all the best on this venture!

John
    2008 RSV 1000 R, platinum/charcoal/red
    Akrapovic full system, NERA top triple clamp, Aprilia accessory rear sets, AF1 Ti bolt kit, etc. etc...

2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, black... and stock for now

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red
    Showa forks, Sachs shocks, Termignoni kit, lots more

Man, what an awesome team! I think I met Erin about 8 years ago at a random party. Did she used to ride blown Busas? If not... I've not met her.
    Pete

Guess they're at the Texas Mile now doing some runs. Good Luck! Looking forward to hearing how it went. And pictures. Pictures would be nice.

John
    2008 RSV 1000 R, platinum/charcoal/red
    Akrapovic full system, NERA top triple clamp, Aprilia accessory rear sets, AF1 Ti bolt kit, etc. etc...

2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, black... and stock for now

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red
    Showa forks, Sachs shocks, Termignoni kit, lots more

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast