Thread: Wheel removal

apriliaforum prov-nov

Wheel removal

What is the easiest way to remove the wheels on a 2009 scarabeo 500? Tools required?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagguzzi View Post
    What is the easiest way to remove the wheels on a 2009 scarabeo 500? Tools required?
    The best route might be to get the Service Manual from our host https://www.af1racing.com/store/ Manual-854190

since you'll get torque specs, pictures and not relying on my sometimes feeble memory...

Rear wheel involves removing the muffler and the small black "mudflap"/ fender that is under the seat, it has spacers on some fasteners--removing large axle nut and if remember correctly five bolts...
    Front wheel---removal of chrome colored plastic fork covers, front fender and of course I feel like I'm forgetting some things. I don't have my manual on this computer to double check.

Hope that helps at least a little.
    2007 Scarabeo 500ie

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboPepe View Post
    The best route might be to get the Service Manual from our host https://www.af1racing.com/store/ Manual-854190

since you'll get torque specs, pictures and not relying on my sometimes feeble memory...

Rear wheel involves removing the muffler and the small black "mudflap"/ fender that is under the seat, it has spacers on some fasteners--removing large axle nut and if remember correctly five bolts...
    Front wheel---removal of chrome colored plastic fork covers, front fender and of course I feel like I'm forgetting some things. I don't have my manual on this computer to double check.

Hope that helps at least a little.
    Yes get the manual from AF1 and support Our Forum Host plus you get the added benefit of getting the PDF in its original resolution with the search indexes intact along with it being on a site that does not have Trojans or Viruses. It's less than $10 and not a major expense.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I just tore down my 500ie rear tire and drive train. I had the manual. Its not that hard if you are a little mechanically inclined. There were no specialty tools that i needed.
    Good luck , keep us posted if you need help.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I only do paper manuals, my loss i guess.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagguzzi View Post
    I only do paper manuals, my loss i guess.
    Aprilia does not do paper anymore however you can print it out if that's your preference and even have Staples bind it up for you.

Yes it is a loss and its a preventable loss since the digital manual is so easily obtained, can be updated electronically on-line and always be the most current version while a printed one can become obsolete by the time it arrives at your door.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for the info!

apriliaforum newb
    Hey can someone confirm torque specs for the front a rear tire assembly. My manual says 50NM for the front but that only works out to about 37 ft pounds .... seems like thats not very tight at all. wouldn't want tire falling off. Thanks for the assistance.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by bukaka19 View Post
    Hey can someone confirm torque specs for the front a rear tire assembly. My manual says 50NM for the front but that only works out to about 37 ft pounds .... seems like thats not very tight at all. wouldn't want tire falling off. Thanks for the assistance.
    Are you talking about the 6 mm hex cap socket screw that locks the front spindle to the right fork? 6mm X 20 is not a huge fastener so 37 ft pound for a 6mm fastener in aluminum is very tight considering the standard torque charts list from 7 nm to 11 nm (4 to 7 ft lbs) for a 6mm machine thread screw/bolt with a pitch of 1 set in aluminum.

See: https://www.allpar.com/fix/body/fasteners.html

apriliaforum newb
    Hmm i think i meant the front spindle itself i believe its a hex 8. The wheel shaft that goes through and holds on the wheel not the little one that locks that down

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bukaka19; 04-07-2019 at 10:28 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by bukaka19 View Post
    Hmm i think i meant the front spindle itself i believe its a hex 8. The wheel shaft that goes through and holds on the wheel not the little one that locks that down

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    According to the chart I provided the link to even a 12.9 Grade 8mm thread in Aluminum would still only be tightened to 21 Ft Lbs so 37 would still be very tight for that one too.