Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 MV Augusta F4 1000S shortly to be for sale at AF1

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Well this thread has started snowballing. It seems I’m now the most desired tech for MV Augusta bikes in Central Texas because of the one above. 3 more F4 thousand cc bikes incoming and a 675 just for 10k service. Gonna have to buy my way into an MV tech class soon. Crazy how the internet works. One of the F4’s coming in had the owner visit this week, he asked if it would save him any money to strip bodywork off first...told him if I can’t have it down to airbox and tank plus upper in 2 minutes he can watch me self terminate...and stripped of all parts including nose plastic, tank and airbox in 10 minutes. The MV service thing is getting interesting because you get to make or third-party a LOT of parts. Hoping as a company they get their shit together soon.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Well this thread has started snowballing. It seems I’m now the most desired tech for MV Augusta bikes in Central Texas because of the one above. 3 more F4 thousand cc bikes incoming and a 675 just for 10k service. Gonna have to buy my way into an MV tech class soon. Crazy how the internet works. One of the F4’s coming in had the owner visit this week, he asked if it would save him any money to strip bodywork off first...told him if I can’t have it down to airbox and tank plus upper in 2 minutes he can watch me self terminate...and stripped of all parts including nose plastic, tank and airbox in 10 minutes. The MV service thing is getting interesting because you get to make or third-party a LOT of parts. Hoping as a company they get their shit together soon.
    See? It’s kismet. Time for y’all to be the local MV dealer.

- Tim

2015 Piaggio Fly 150 - "It's small and white?"
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory - holy crap
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium - DungeonMaster's old steed

If only it were that simple.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum expert
    Dooooo it. Dooooo it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have a house cat (winter) and full time nice weather vermin eradicating kitty named Kismet. Lol

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Micah! This is Ian, the guy that bought the bike. I just stumbled upon this thread. Reading through this thread makes a lot more sense out of everything I’ve been told the past couple weeks. The EBS-defeating EEPROM is interesting, definitely glad that has been sorted.

For everyone else watching this bike, sorry! But it’s going to a good home. I found a rare MV Agusta/Arrow RG3 exhaust, mid-pipe, and matching ECU in Melbourne, Australia of all places and had it shipped to Micah to install, along with a few other bits and new tires etc. Can’t wait to let this one rip! I’ve been drooling over them since they were new too. It will be in good company next to my ‘17 Tuono and ‘05 749R. Wonder if this or the Tuono will be faster? We shall see...

-Ian

Your MV is tied neck and neck with another service bike for next up on lift...all parts have arrived serious congratulations on the bike man!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Ian, I hope you're going to love it. As I said above somewhere, I had the same bike. I actually prefer the '05 and '06 1000 S model over the later 1000 R, 312R, and 312 1078R.

Why? A few reasons, the first being that I think this is the best looking and most pure version of the Tamburini design. Also specifically because of the older ECU with an EPROM. So much easier to tune with fueling and timing, and of course- ridding it of the EBS. The later bikes need the MV race ECU to do that, and I think starting with the '08 312R, the midpipe is welded to the header, so to get rid of the CAT you need a full exhaust system. All I had to do was buy a cat-less Arrow midpipe.

If you find the temp running off on hot days, Merc07 on the MV forum can burn you another EPROM that kicks on the fans earlier. This can be very helpful.

The sound of those pipes at full song is a joy. Please report back on the Tuono vs. F4 power. I'm sure the Tuono has more mid range punch, but when the MV comes on upstairs it's pretty intense. I damned near looped mine at redline in 3rd gear once. That's near 120 mph!

Oh, and as I re-read your post, you're getting the Arrow EPROM along with the RG3 cans and midpipe. I ran the Arrow and it's good, but if you want to keep the EBS deleted you'll want to stay with what Micah put in.

Have fun with it!

John
    2008 RSV 1000 R, platinum/charcoal/red
    Akrapovic full system, NERA top triple clamp, Aprilia accessory rear sets, AF1 Ti bolt kit, etc. etc...

2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, black... and stock for now

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red
    Showa forks, Sachs shocks, Termignoni kit, lots more

I haven’t opened the box yet to see which eprom is in it, if it’s an Arrow it will keep using the Merc07 eprom as EBS delete is mandatory IMHO. that eprom is adjustable so I’ll only have to move trim pot a little bitty bit.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Yeah, and as I thought about it, the Merc07 eprom you got probably already has the cooling fans set to come on earlier. He's a real good guy that one.

Don't suppose it'll find it's way back on the dyno? If so, it'd be neat to see the difference between the stock cans with the CAT, and the RG3 with no CAT, both with the same EPROM. I don't think I've ever seen a comparative sheet using the same dyno and operator.

Thanks Micah!

John
    Akrapovic full system, NERA top triple clamp, Aprilia accessory rear sets, AF1 Ti bolt kit, etc. etc...

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red

apriliaforum newb
    John, I totally agree on the purity of the design and that was a top priority in looking for one of these---it's all about the art with these after all. It seems to be at a nice intersection between the very early 750's and the later 1000's with bits from each: pure aesthetics along with more power and hopefully they worked some of the early bugs out at that point.

I'll report back here in a couple months once I've ridden it a bit. Can't wait! Thanks!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by JAndrewG View Post
    Ian, I hope you're going to love it. As I said above somewhere, I had the same bike. I actually prefer the '05 and '06 1000 S model over the later 1000 R, 312R, and 312 1078R.

Why? A few reasons, the first being that I think this is the best looking and most pure version of the Tamburini design. Also specifically because of the older ECU with an EPROM. So much easier to tune with fueling and timing, and of course- ridding it of the EBS. The later bikes need the MV race ECU to do that, and I think starting with the '08 312R, the midpipe is welded to the header, so to get rid of the CAT you need a full exhaust system. All I had to do was buy a cat-less Arrow midpipe.

If you find the temp running off on hot days, Merc07 on the MV forum can burn you another EPROM that kicks on the fans earlier. This can be very helpful.

The sound of those pipes at full song is a joy. Please report back on the Tuono vs. F4 power. I'm sure the Tuono has more mid range punch, but when the MV comes on upstairs it's pretty intense. I damned near looped mine at redline in 3rd gear once. That's near 120 mph!

Oh, and as I re-read your post, you're getting the Arrow EPROM along with the RG3 cans and midpipe. I ran the Arrow and it's good, but if you want to keep the EBS deleted you'll want to stay with what Micah put in.

Have fun with it!

John

Ian,

You might get with 'gotojoe' on the MV forum; he makes a very nice piece of kit for the radiator on the F4, a radiator support rod. It's inexpensive, very well designed, and easy to install. I put one on mine, just as a preventative measure. If you look at the design of the radiator mount, it puts weight on the upper part of the tank. Some folks have had them leak because of this, though I think it's probably more common after a lot of hard use.

Take care, and give some input when you've had some time to run that thing!

John

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red

It will be going back on dyno, after pipes but before tires...then it will be done. I MIGHT get to start it Saturday. Ian, definitely follow up on that bracket, that’s the exact one I was describing and I promise it’s way cheaper to buy than build.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb
    Micah, I PM'd "gotojoe" on the MV forum and asked for a bracket---I'll let you know when I know. Should be fairly easy to install at anytime though? Those fairings look like a snap.
    Last edited by bullmrkt; 03-01-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Ian,

I thought I'd seen the RG3s, midpipe, and ECU for sale, and found them.

The ECU won't work on the earlier F4 1000s. It'll be one for an '07 or '08 1000R / 312R. Those newer ones don't use a removable EPROM.

But no matter, the one Micah got will work great. You could probably resell the one with the kit and recover some of your expenses.

And yes, that radiator support bracket is pretty easy to install. And as Micah said, the fairings come off in about 2 minutes. No allen wrenches, just Dzus fasteners.

John

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast