Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do I want a Stelvio?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Very good and clear explanation, thanks!
    Question: what is the reason, in the standard map, to inject fuel with closed throttle at high rpm? Cooling? Pollution?

The 'rebuilding' of the Griso has involved everything except the engine, which was perfect and already rollerized.
    I did a complete repaint of frame and plastics, fitted ohlins suspensions front and rear, exhaust, footpegs, rotors and other niggles...now it's superb!

Quote Originally Posted by alfacorse View Post
    Very good and clear explanation, thanks!
    Question: what is the reason, in the standard map, to inject fuel with closed throttle at high rpm? Cooling? Pollution?
    !
    No idea to be honest, it's very weird. It can't be cooling as the simple flow through of air will have a greater cooling effect than the latency effect of the vaporising charge especially if the engine is still 8 or 12 stroking. As for pollution? Well burning nothing is always going to produce less of that than burning something!
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    may be to have a better throttle pick-up even in an eventual 'lean' condition caused by the lambda correction? Below 4000 rpm the original map works in closed-loop and I can imagine that if there's nearly no fuel when you pick up the throttle may be convenient to have some added fuel already in the cylinder.

Anyhow, a reason for this should exist...at Piaggio Group there're engineers developing the maps and we can't imagine that they're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by alfacorse View Post
    may be to have a better throttle pick-up even in an eventual 'lean' condition caused by the lambda correction? Below 4000 rpm the original map works in closed-loop and I can imagine that if there's nearly no fuel when you pick up the throttle may be convenient to have some added fuel already in the cylinder.

Anyhow, a reason for this should exist...at Piaggio Group there're engineers developing the maps and we can't imagine that they're stupid.
    Only in closed loop on a steady throttle I believe. Open the taps and it just reverts to the OL map.

Ok so first I've got to blag a ride

Then find a rollerised example

Then I'll worry about mapping!.

Lol!
    He who dies with the most toys wins

Crispy X Caponord - Burned Grey - replaced with Ducati Multistrada 1000DS - Black but not crispy but now sold, Honda Transalp XL700V-8 lasted two weeks before I got bored, so got an 07 Yamaha TDM900 but then swopped it for a Yamaha FJR1300 in faster blue
    Which is now sold and I am the happy owner of a Moto-Guzzi Stelvio

apriliaforum newb
    I am in the process of purchasing either a Stelvio or a Caponard. Cannot decide. Looks are very different, Caponard has rider modes, Stelvio is supposedly more comfortable on road, Stelvio is supposedly easier to work on and cheaper to service at dealership. Both seem to weigh about the same. While I know this is an Aprilia forum (I am leaning toward the Caponard but something about the Stelvio that intrigues me) I am hoping to get some feedback and maybe there is someone out there who has ridden/owner both. Both bikes are new - 2016 Caponard, 2017 Stelvio and can be bought for about the same price which is heavily discounted.

Lookup posts from rdbandkab think he’s had both.

apriliaforum newb
    I am debating between a new Stelvio or Caponord. Was told you had both. Any input?

When I was a service agent for Aprilias I hated the Cappo. Apart from the fact I found it bland, anodyne and characterless they are also an absolute prick to work on. Even changing the oil filter is a chore! Wild horses wouldn't make me want one!

The Stelvio is less powerful, heavier but has oodles of character and is very simple to work on. Yes, you'll need to pull the swingarm to grease the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings, (I've repeated this mantra so many times that my iPad predicts the series of words as I type them!) which you shouldn't have to on a brand new bike but it's an easy enough job. There has never been an easier bike to tune than a W5AM Guzzi and once set up they hold their tune very well, (I haven't had to adjust the valves or balance the throttlebodies on my Griso for 20,000Km.) and servicing and tuning is cheap and easy to do yourself if you choose. The W5AM controller is fully accessible and should you choose to do so you will find aftermarket maps are readily available or you can 'Roll your own' using Tunerpro.

Note these opinions are those of someone with 40 years involvement with Guzzi who sees the CARC bikes as the acme of the factory's development of their venerable 'Big Block' twins. Others will have differing opinions.

Pete

If all goes to plan, I will be riding home this Sunday on a 2010 Stelvio
    It was "rollerised " 6000 miles ago, and currently shows just over 30,000 miles
    This will be my first Moto Guzzi and I can't wait!!
    Not my first Italian bike though!
    Cagiva Navigator, Aprilia Caponord, Ducati Multistrada.........

Crispy X Caponord - Burned Grey - replaced with Ducati Multistrada 1000DS - Black but not crispy but now sold, Honda Transalp XL700V-8 lasted two weeks before I got bored, so got an 07 Yamaha TDM900 but then swopped it for a Yamaha FJR1300 in faster blue

That's pretty high miles prior to rollerisation. Any idea what the tappets that came out of it looked like? Unless you know for sure it was done I'd drop the sump for a thorough clean out, replace the sump spacer gasket while you're in there too as the early ones have a propensity for blowing out around the delivery gallery to the front main bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    That's pretty high miles prior to rollerisation. Any idea what the tappets that came out of it looked like? Unless you know for sure it was done I'd drop the sump for a thorough clean out, replace the sump spacer gasket while you're in there too as the early ones have a propensity for blowing out around the delivery gallery to the front main bearing.
    Rode it home yesterday, very impressed !!

Has a full service history and rollerisation was done by Twiggers bike shop. Moti-Guzzi supplied the parts foc and customer paid labour costs, no idea of condition of bits removed

Twiggers have a good rep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12