Thread: Truth or not?

apriliaforum prov-nov

Truth or not?

Long story short (sort of): I booked an appointment at the closest dealer to me which is 2.5 hours away. Service was booked for a map on ECU to try and eliminate the red triangle and EFI warning light which stays on constantly. I have a GPR exhaust and Healtech installed with error light on since installing. I told the service dept. on phone what mods I had done and what I needed to be done. After 2.5 hours ride and my whole Saturday I am told by tech that a map can't be done with a GPR exhaust on . If I understood the tech properly Aprilia will only send a map via email for a Akrapovic exhaust because it is what they recommend for the bike. So 6 hours after I left I left my house, because it took him 2 hours before it entered the shop and 1.5 hours on the rack, the tech cleared the EFI code and put my old Servo motor on, which I previously tried twice already. He said screen is clear now of error codes but may come back. So $250 dollars later and my whole Saturday gone, two miles from leaving the dealer, on my way home, my heart sank as the lights popped back up on my dash display and stayed on all the way home. It was too late in the day to turn around. My beef is this doesn't sound true to me and why didn't dealer tell me this before I drove 2.5 hours. Is this true a map can not be done with a GPR installed?

apriliaforum Member
    dealer is correct. they won't send a map unless you buy their factory exhaust. That said, I would guess that the healtech isn't working right as you shouldn't be getting lights with an exhaust swap. If the dealer didn't find any other codes except the ones related to servo, I would talk to Healtech about getting a different device. Some have been known to fail. If you are feeling adventurous, You can use the GuzziDiag software and reset those exhaust codes and spare yourself a trip.

apriliaforum expert
    Dealers get themselves confused over Caponord engine maps.

There is an Akra option for the RSV, RSV4 bikes, which come with a passcode to enable dealers to change the engine map using PADS. Since there is no Akra option available for the Caponord 1200 there is no engine map option from Aprilia.

The only official Aprilia exhaust option for the Caponord 1200 is the Arrow. As far as I'm aware there is no alternative engine map for this either.

The only engine map options available to dealers are full power or 78kW. There is also a map for when the 'optimiser' is installed (standard in some markets). The password to download on PADS is 'performance' although it may have been changed by now.

So only three maps at any point in time, 'old' maps are deleted off the system so only the latest ones are available to dealers. As far as I'm aware maps cannot be held 'on file' by dealers, they can only connect to the Aprilia system on-line via PADS when connected to a bike. If there is a newer map available for the connected bike, the dealer can install, no matter what end can is fitted.
    Last edited by RSTman; 01-18-2019 at 09:03 AM.

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    i have the arrow and a new map was not needed.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Anyone wants a GPR Carbon can, Healtech, and more stuff i took off my Craponord before trading on a VFR1200X??? PM me !!! I am so happy i moved on. Had to sue the jackass dealer up here that KNOWS NOTHING about these bikes. Got a little reward for my tenacity but not enough to compensate me for 6 months in their shop. I am sure there are good shops, but stay away from these bozos. Ridiculous misadventure....no more Italian for me unless it says Massi on the bottle! I'm free !!! I'm free!!!
    Last edited by snipermike; 01-22-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by snipermike View Post
    Anyone wants a GPR Carbon can, Healtech, and more stuff i took off my Craponord before trading on a VFR1200X??? PM me !!! I am so happy i moved on. Had to sue the jackass dealer up here that KNOWS NOTHING about these bikes. Got a little reward for my tenacity but not enough to compensate me for 6 months in their shop. I am sure there are good shops, but stay away from these bozos. Ridiculous misadventure....no more Italian for me unless it says Massi on the bottle! I'm free !!! I'm free!!!
    enjoy the vfr1200 i had the F version with DCT and loved it! What else do you have parts wise, i don't want the agg. of changing the exhaust for no benefit at all.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
    ei don't want the agg. of changing the exhaust for no benefit at all.
    Losing excess weight is always a benefit. Plus the Arrow has a lower profile.
    Last edited by jay dub; 01-27-2019 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spell
    acab