Thread: Advise needed

apriliaforum prov-nov

Advise needed

Hey everyone looking at a 2013 model for a second bike it has a lot of klms on her but looks as its been well looked after the high ks are holding me back thoughts

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/slac...7cc/1200209394

apriliaforum prov-nov phillby_racer's Avatar
    Hey xlur8,

I would suggest ringing Sunstate Motorcycles Maroochy (Not Team Moto) and ask for a quote to resolve/replace the rear shock issue... I am guessing it will be quite expensive...

Yes, the bike is cheap... but without the active suspension working you are really missing out on the main benefits to this bike. (and the end result of fixing it may mean its not worth it)... of course the pricing 'Ammo' would allow you to go back hard at them to poss negotiate a cheaper price..?

Regards
    Phill.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks man just got a rough idea how much to fix it Around 2000-2500 so thinking maybe give it a miss

apriliaforum prov-nov phillby_racer's Avatar
    no worries at all mate... not surprised by the costs... and agree, I think you'll get something with far less Kays for not much more $$

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    You could make them an offer, say $4500? They can only say no. It is a lot of bike for the money, but as Phillby says the rear shock problems won't be cheap to fix. But perhaps if you could find a wrecked Caponord with a decent rear shock (tough ask I know) you could score a bargain?
    Last edited by coolonthecoast; 01-09-2019 at 03:59 AM.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

Just passing..... saw your post...... had a look at the pics......

Side case lid is damaged, those Puig crash bars are a pain to remove (and they have to go to allow the major services - 20k, 40k, 60k etc). Tyres look like they haven't been leaned over to the edges so it may have been used gently, brake rotors look worn in pic but may be in spec, a test ride is vital to ensure the fuel gauge works, and the ADD works (auto, 1 up, 1+lgge, 2up & 2+lgge) - also trip, time, etc and cruise etc etc - you'll have to school up to know how to change the settings etc so you can confirm they all work.

How many k's are on your 'high' mileage first model 2013 Caponord1200TP? Did you know the Rally version is basically the same bike but a later build with improved quality control and Givi panniers? However, a high mileage (whatever that means?.... 40k/60k/80k/100k ???) might indicate it was a good bike with no oil usage issues - check it has had at least some of the major services done (valve checks/plugs/coolant) as these are $1k a pop and require almost total deconstruction of the bike to get done..... the minor services are just oil+filter/brake fluids when needed but stuff like fork oil & seal changes require special tools and you are already aware of the rear ADD - some threads have recently appeared with problems that are unresolved as yet....... I'd be more inclined to look at a Rally version (or the 'Strada' model = basic version ie Capo12TP without the ADD, Cruise, panniers, centre stand & with manual suspension) The Rally first appeared in late 2015 and didn't seem to have any issues - though these bikes are porky critters (the strada is 250kg wet, TP is 260kg wet, Rally is 270kg wet).

That said, the bike may well be a spot on genuinely reliable well cared for thing..... just traded for a newer lighter bike after 5 great years........ or, it's about to cost you heaps ....... at least it looks like it has a new chain ........ but without knowing the actual kms I'm only guessing about wear & tear.

Ps not sure if the selling dealer is a Capo12 capable service centre...... these things are getting beyond owner services (other than basic oil & filter & clutch fluid, chain adjust etc).

Pps.... can't see in pics but typically, the H11 halogen bulbs burn the plasti-chrome coating off the bottom reflector lens surface within a couple of years or 30,000kms (mine did) - the lights still work but become more yellow when there is a grey spot under the filaments - I managed to slip some shiny aluminium heat shield tape in with great luck, and it looked ok.....but..... it could have gone really wrong). It has R&G rad & oil protectors......

Ahaaa...... just spotted the marketing blurb..... full of errors...... the crash bars & rad guards are not standard items and Team Moto Qld own the Caponord dealership in Nerang, so if they say they aren't going to fix the rear shock then it must be expensive...... and there's no way of knowing if a shock/adjuster tube from a wrecker has the same problem.......
    Last edited by BrisbaNord; 01-12-2019 at 04:59 PM.

If it's only preload adjusting, it might be an easy fix
    I owned 13 multistrada 1200S with the same Sachs rear shock. For a stupid reason, preload didnt function. There was a preload actuator under the seat. I heard the actuator was turning inside the tube when i changed preload setting but there was no move on the spring. So i opened the preload actuator and found an infinite gear inside was not functioning as it should. Why did i opened the actuator. Because dealer asked €3000 for the shock !!!!
    "I'm not sure whether I'm an actor who races or a racer who acts." Steve McQueen

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The shock is fine its the cartridge under the seat actuator im guessing 2500 to replace still thinking of buying it has full servuce history

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by xlur8 View Post
    The shock is fine its the cartridge under the seat actuator im guessing 2500 to replace still thinking of buying it has full servuce history
    Make sure you get the full picture on the rear shock. Mine was replaced under warranty cos it blew a seal. The whole thing came as one part, preload motor/actuator and all. 900. Google Fowlers, Aprilia on-line parts book for a UK price, but I'm sure you will find a price closer to home. You may also have to go to a dealer to get the preload actuator recalibrated on PADS. This is why I now own a bike with 'normal' suspension.