Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SpitFire windscreens fit Madstadt mounts

apriliaforum expert

SpitFire windscreens fit Madstadt mounts

The wonderful tinted windscreen on Capo #2 is just too tall for me unless it is in the very lowest position. Over the past couple of years it some of the naked bikes I bought came with extra SpitFire plexi windscreens. I seems people selling bikes just want to give them away. It turns out that they fit the Capo's Madstadt brackets perfectly other than needing mounting holes drilled in them.

So if you have a Madstadt and also need a new windscreen, yu can use SpitFire screen which is probably a lot less expensive or even free for a look around.

I'll post up a pic later today.

apriliaforum expert
    The yellow tape is there so you can see the outline of the windscreen better. The notch at the bottom of the windscreen matches up perfectly with an amber led drivibg light I have. When that gets put on I'll update with another pic.

I also want to put a Capo logo on the lower part of the windscreen and inside the surface of the screen put a black pebble grain ABS facade to hide the Madstadt mounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

apriliaforum prov-nov
    These madstad mounts, thing of the past? Aprilia is not listed on their site.

apriliaforum expert
    Right, not made anymore but a simple enough system that I was going to make another as soon as I get a chance. There is a much better way to do the whole thing than Madstadt made but they used a single design for everything to save costs no doubt. To make what Madsadt sold it's just a couple of slotted brackets from a Marine hardware store.

I think a twist knob affair would allow for easy up down and in-out adjustments without making everything too complex. Since I can't get another Madstadt but have 2 Caponords I'm stuck and since I'll swap riding both I need to have the same setup on both as well.

apriliaforum Junkie
    The acid test for me: is there much turbulence?

Would love to see side on and frontal pix, if you're able to?

(And if you happen to knock up another bracket before May my little bro (c/o Mill Valley) can bring it over with him when he visits

apriliaforum expert
    Since the Madstadt is adjustable up and down and for tilt I think getting the best air flow is possible.

Here are more pictures. Apologies for being less than a photo amatuer. For reference, the shot looking back to front- I'm about 5'9"/10" and I was seated on a stock seat as if I were looking about 75-100' distant.

Sure thing on the mount. I'm trying to make one up using COTS brackets so once I have the sources that shouldn't be a prob. Supposedly I'll be going to IOM this year and spending a couple weeks (Norway, Deutschland...and surrounding) so if your connection doesn't make it over I could throw them in a bag and bring with.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

apriliaforum Junkie
    Cool, keep me posted. Bro isn't coming over until early May (may join us if there's a Welsh rally).

apriliaforum expert
    I found a source for the brackets so a major part of all this is done. The Madstadt brackets reply on fastener friction to hold a set position. While that offers almost infinite adjustments within its range what I found were brackets that have adjustments every 6mm but once set would never slip.

If you look at the frontal view there is black plate behind the windscreen. It's a fairly stout piece of work and likely adds more than a few ounces of weight forward of the steering point. From the looks of it a piece of formed ABS might work as well, it sure would be lighter, even aluminum would be as well but impossible for me to form.

My goal is a bolt-on easy install with the ability to use almost any windshield you have handy or even just curved material cut to the shape you like. If things go well I might have pictures next week. That pushes back some other things, so goes.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I've got some black ABS sheet I can play with.

apriliaforum expert
    The metal plate Madstadt uses should be easily duplicated in ABS. It would also be simple enough to mission creep the plate to include a small sun shield over the instruments and even include a GPS holder there or something like that. I'll use Capo #1 as the mule for test fits since the plastics are still off. I have a deadline of getting this done by the end of next week since Capo #1 was apart last time one of my brothers visited and he's heading this way again before month's end.

I'll do the picture thing and make a pattern for the ABS, something that can go via email or whatever.

Not a full plate, but still fully functional.
    ABS is super easy to bend with a heat gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190116_192512.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	306.8 KB 
ID:	373184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190116_193022.jpg 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	373185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190116_193230.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	311.2 KB 
ID:	373186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180329_183111.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	373187

Capo screen from Polish manufacturer Loster https://szybymotocyklowe.pl/2001-200...-caponord.html (new design, few months on the market)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...ZzdGRSRjRuMUxn (not my bike, scroll down for the windscreen)
    Last edited by skvrnsk; 01-16-2019 at 03:42 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    That is a robust and good design. I haven't yet translated the page and money conversion to figure cost to get them over here though.

I found some micro actuators that would work with the Madstadt style mount to make the windscreen adjustable via button control. By attaching the actuator to the windscreen and the other end to the plate the windscreen can be moved up or down pushing out at the top as it goes up. The actuator is on the way to me.

Hopefully, this will all work with the standard Caponord windscreens too and this be an easy retrofit to give any Capo an electrically adjustable windshield.

Unfortunately Loster didn't implement English translation to their website nor the abroad shipping option by default but they're shipping worldwide, just need to contact them with this email for details: loster@vp.pl

Loster Caponord windscreen dimensions: height 60cm, top width 31cm, bottom width 62cm, screen thickness 4mm. Windscreen doesn't have any factory holes in it.
    Last edited by skvrnsk; 01-17-2019 at 04:24 PM.

looks like this windshield is pretty affordable. thank you for sharing !
    pegaso cube 1998 -> etv 1000 2006

apriliaforum expert
    I tested out for turbulence today from 0-100 MPH thereabouts and its steady and no buffeting. I have the screen in just the location as in the pictures. There is no turbulence coming from around the sides below the handlebars either. Side winds don't seem to catch it. There is a good flow under the windscreen so no pull forward. This is how it works for me though and depending on how you sit, height and angle that could be very different for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steam1.JPG 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	373672  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast