Thread: 2009 SportCity service in Los Angeles???

apriliaforum newb

2009 SportCity service in Los Angeles???

Hey all. I got my Aprilia sportCity a few years ago. I don;t ride as much as I like, but I
    would like to take it in for oil change, etc. Nothing major. Does anyone have a recommendation
    the LA and Greater LA area for an Aprilia Service---even if it's a place to stay away from.

Thanks

-2TPazzo

apriliaforum expert
    No recommendations however on a seldom used bike you really should change the oil along with the filter annually and follow the service schedule for coolant/brake fluid flushes/changes which is every two years regardless of mileage.

On a scheduled oil change be sure to have the gear lube changed also and don't forget to clean the CVT Air Filter which in dusty or hot locations should be done at least twice as often as the engine oil.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I would not listen to rockynv. I has oil lab proof old oil
    doesnt go bad from sitting.

I would make the drive or ride to San Diego for Scooterwest. They have
    one of the best scooter wrenches on the coast there.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
    I would not listen to rockynv. I has oil lab proof old oil
    doesnt go bad from sitting.

I would make the drive or ride to San Diego for Scooterwest. They have
    one of the best scooter wrenches on the coast there.
    San Diego. Ouch!!! That's a 2 hour drive....

apriliaforum expert
    Unused old oil is pretty stable to a point however once you run an engine a few times you build up carbon and combustion deposits which over time can turn acidic in the crankcase which is not speculation and has been well proven time and time again. I have torn down enough engines to show people their now acid etched cams and crankshafts to know the fallacy of believing otherwise. Better to be safe and spend the few bucks to change the oil annually on a bike that only sees occasional use. Waiting until an oil lab test tells you its too late and the oil has already failed is not the best idea as some level of damage has already occurred. While some people may believe that they can get away with pushing things to an extreme there is no guarantee that will turn out to be true for you.

I have also let some oils sit for a few years in the original containers to test out the false theory that "new" engine oil doesn't go bad separating the fact from the fiction and found a number had separated into distinct layers leaving a crusty ring around the top layer and no responsible lab is going to tell you that all old oil that has sat for years is still safe to use in an engine never mind oil sitting in the crankcase of an engine and has already seen some use.

Perhaps some high end synthetics may hold up better than others however on a used bike where you don't know for certain its service history and only have the sellers word changing out the old oil with a known high quality formulation is best practice. Lets face it how many times have people posted here about what sellers told them about the condition of a bike turning out to be totally false?

Instead of driving 2 hours you might want to review ScooterWests Oil Change videos and see if it would be better for you to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself in less time than it takes to ride to the dealer.

Last edited by Rockynv; 04-05-2019 at 11:24 PM.

The engine and transmission in the SportCity 250 are the same as the engine and transmission in a GTS250 Vespa or a BV250. If you want it serviced in a shop, take it to a nearby Piaggio/Vespa dealer.
    2010 Aprilia Sportcity 300 (sold)

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tuttipazzo2 View Post
    San Diego. Ouch!!! That's a 2 hour drive....
    you cant be serious?? Id drive 20 hours if I wanted the best in the business to work on my stuff... but thankfully Im blessed with good looks and decent tools. Ok I lied about my looks. Taking it to "any old piaggio" dealer increases the chances of shit done incorrectly. Id rather Robot be looking at my stuff (if I wasnt inclined)

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
    The engine and transmission in the SportCity 250 are the same as the engine and transmission in a GTS250 Vespa or a BV250. If you want it serviced in a shop, take it to a nearby Piaggio/Vespa dealer.
    perfect (& useless) advice for Modern Vespa. Over on this site most posters deal in truths fella. Except for Rockynv... we cant seem to encourage him to join that shithole site stocked with non riders & wrenchers. He'd be a perfect fit.

Beverly ...Hills that is; swimmin' pools, mooovie staaars.
    Hey Tuttipazzo... if you're in LA I can show you how to do simple maintenance yourself. Just hit me up if you want.

'09 SC 250
    V4 Malossi Head & Cylinder (ported & polished ; j )
    203cc Injector (Scarabeo 500)
    Akrapovic slip-on
    12g sliders w/ stiff clutch & contrast springs
    Michelin Power Pure

Vespa of Sherman Oaks

Address: 3701, 13629 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 6PM
    Tuesday 10AM–6PM
    Wednesday 10AM–6PM
    Thursday 10AM–6PM
    Friday 10AM–6PM
    Saturday 10AM–6PM
    Sunday 11AM–5PM
    Monday Closed

Unable to add this file. Please check that it is a valid photo.

Phone: (818) 906-0350

Place name:

Category:

:

:

:

:

:

:

The OP was looking for an Aprilia dealer in the LA area. I was suggesting that any Piaggio/Vespa dealer will have techs that are as well trained and probably more experienced on the GTS engine than Aprilia techs. Sure, Motorsport in San Diego is a good shop with a good rep. So is Vespa Sherman Oaks for that matter.

And turboblew, if you want to be a dick - leave the rest of us out of it.
    2010 Aprilia Sportcity 300 (sold)