Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWM Motorcycles? who? AF1 Racing adds another brand.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar

SWM Motorcycles? who? AF1 Racing adds another brand.

some good articles on this new brand to the US. As soon as some state paperwork is done, we will be the official Austin SWM dealer, first in Texas.

US importer
    https://www.motomandistributing.com/swm

USA models
    https://www.motomandistributing.com/swm-models

Italian factory site
    https://www.swm-motorcycles.it/en/

very good article explaining the resurrection of the brand name, the big Husqvarna tie-in, and even some ex-Aprilia engineers involved
    https://www.motorcycle.com/features/...-yet-know.html

We think the Superdual series will be a big hit, along with the 500 Supermoto.

The prices should give KTM and the new Husky some worry.

RS300 R Retail $7495
    RS500 R Retail $7795
    SM 500R $8495
    650 Superdual T $8995
    650 Superdual X $8995
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SWM1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	371933  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SWM2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	371934  

If I am not mistaken, these guys used to be Husqvarna, before the band sale to BMW, and finally KTM.

Can you comment on the differences between the new 500s and the old 510s? I nearly bought the 450SMR, but ended up with the SXV550 instead.

very, very similar. Same frames, New EFI, new KYB suspension, and some engine updates....trying to find the specifics again, saw them before, but cant find them. Valvetrain updates I think. Same factory but BMW nicely updated the whole thing before they bailed. Lots of the same engineers too.

many old Husky owners, the pre-BMW ones, can use a great deal of SWM parts. The modern Husky is just a white painted KTM.

the lead guy for the SXV is now a 10% owner in SWM

this article explains a bunch
    https://www.motorcycle.com/features/...-yet-know.html

found this....lots of older Husky owners want SWM parts. many are the same, but if it gets a letter in front of it, SWM changed it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47318095_1939163723058770_5911618107478114304_o.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	371936  

Wow,interesting. Great to see a sub 10k supermoto being offered in the states from someone... a bit heavy compared to something like the FS450 but I wonder if it could drop significant lbs going through a race build.
    '19 Husqvarna FS450
    '17 TV4 Factory
    '07 RSVR Factory (For Sale)

Very interesting..... I've been strongly considering an adventure bike.
    JD

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

I'm looking very seriously at a Superdual. While I love my Stelvio to bits the fact is that it's a big, heavy, pig of a thing and I'm not getting any younger or stronger.

Despite my 40 year association with the brand Guzzi have lost me with the V85. Maybe in a few years if they Hi-Cam and 8 valve it my interest will be rekindled but for now? Nah. The SWM looks pretty much ideal for what I'd want. It doesn't have to be the best and greatest, just competent and reliable. Anyone know if Ascerbis or anyone do a long range tank for them yet? I'm hoping to do a lap of Oz next year and a Superdual with a comfy seat and a bigger tank might be just the ticket.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum expert
    These bikes are just what the motorcycle industry needs. Well built, with good components, good performance and a great price. Motorcycle evolution is slowly killing itself. In the race to have the latest and greatest the primary reason to ride (the smile factor) gets lost. I hope they do well and will be in the market for one in the future.
    The man who makes a beast of himself rids himself of the pain of being a man. Foreword to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I rode an AJP PR7 yesterday, nice machine but probably more 'Focused' than a fat old fart like me needs. Nice motor, pulls monster wheelies! even with a fat old git like me on board! Seat was an abomination but given its design brief I don't suppose you're expected to be sitting down a lot on the AJP!

The SWM which uses the same motor is supposed to be in a slightly lower state of tune, I'd guess that would be purely mapping adjustments as both machines use the same motor I think. Given the sort of use I'm liable to put the bike to I'm thinking maybe the T rather than the X model might suit my needs better?

Gotta ride them both I suppose then make a decision. Over here the AJP is about $3-4K more than the SWM.

Pete

I rode a Duke II for a while. The Supermoto would be a riot second bike. Especially killing it around Houston. The streets here can be huge fun. Might suck in a cage, but the Duke was epic fun. They should drop the 600 motor in.

If the vibes are't totally fucked, the SuperDualT could be fun.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    Damn, that is a nice looking bike!
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Jack, I think they have a really good platform and the price point is great! There will no doubt be people who will complain they don't have Ohlins, 20 more HP. They'll also expect to only pay tuppence!

These people need taking out the back for a good kicking!

Pete

Went to my 'Local' dealer today, he's about 65km away in Yass, (NSW, Oz). Despite running my own workshop for the last 20 years or so in Bungendore I'd never met the man!

Anyway, a decent and knowledgeable bloke with no BS apparent. He had a variety of models there but I was mainly interested in the more 'Soft Core' Superdual T. For those young enough to still want to do serious bush-bashing the X model will probably appeal more but I'm 63 next week and suffer from 'Duck's Disease'.

My impressions were very favourable, I haven't ridden one yet but it felt a lot more 'Manageable' for a fat old fart like me than the AJP I rode in Queanbeyan a couple of weeks ago, (Don't get me wrong, the AJP was awesome but far more bike than I need and several grand more expensive!).

I'm in no hurry, it'll be a few months before this comes to fruition but I'm pretty certain I'll be buying one to replace my Stelvio 1400. My Griso? You'll prize that from my cold, dead hands but for back road jaunts and outback touring the SWM looks the 'Biz'. Pending an actual test ride but I tend to feel that test rides only show if there is some huge, immediately, glaring fault. Right now everything I've seen means I'll be prying open my wallet! As a lifetime 'Guzzi Guy' you have to understand that is close to impossible! We can peel and eat an orange without taking our hands out of our pockets!

Pete

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast