Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTM-01 Hot Rod Guzzi

GTM-01 Hot Rod Guzzi

Thought I would leave this here. I am a little surprised that it hasn't been posted yet. Looks interesting to me.

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/Ll...les-gtm-01.jpg

For some strange reason, the forum software will not let me include the pic. I get... error upload failed due to error writing temporary file...... wtf?

https://gtmotocycles.com/

No skin in this game, just thought it was interesting.
    Mike

apriliaforum Junkie
    From https://gtmotocycles.com/ :

GTM-02 and future builds, will feature our full in-house built trellis GTM frame. Pricing starts at $20k using your CARC Guzzi stock engine, trans, swingarm, suspension and wheels. Contact us below to build yours.

That's a lot of money for a frame, tank, seat and brakes...
    2008 Aprilia Shiver
    2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

apriliaforum Junkie
    I would love to know what the frame strengthening is that handles 1400cc in what is a standard 940cc Bellagio frame.

Or how does 140+ hp work in a frame that is designed for 76?
    Last edited by Chris Wilson; 12-12-2018 at 03:12 AM.

There ya go, asking all those 'Difficult' questions..........

Actually it's not a Bellagio frame, it's some sort of Heath Robinson home made lash up made of a chopped up Tonti.
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I guess we'll have to wait 'till Jay buys one and puts up the vid. Money no object, it'd be on my list.....

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    There ya go, asking all those 'Difficult' questions..........

Actually it's not a Bellagio frame, it's some sort of Heath Robinson home made lash up made of a chopped up Tonti.
    Ok, not arguing but its hard to see the differences beyond the rear seat hoop when you photograph a black chrome frame in a blackened out room and barely sidelight it.

The question still stands, what mods are done beyond being a Tonti frame?

Bugger all, the thing is a joke!
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Thanks Pete, thought as much.
    I did a study of motorcycle frame mechanics back in 1982 and had an endurance racer frame custom made to order because I had the shits with how my Honda handled.
    What I got out of that study and experienced first hand is that the main object with any good frame is the prevention of independant plane shift of the wheels on the roll axis.

in other words, numero uno is getting the plane of the wheels to not deflect under stress.
    Now in order to do this effectively you need width at the centre of the frame (hieght is easily achieved) and note here that a Tonti frame is not wide, and you need as much tubing as possible to converge on the steering head stock, and again note that a Tonti has the bare minimum of 3 narrowly angled tubes preventing twist on the roll axis.

My old racer had 6 tubes welded to the head stock and a computer designed perimeter frame that ran around the outside of an inline 4 engine, needless to say it had twist well and truly covered.
    The Griso has tube section in its favour as well as width.

And here its a much worse scenario because we have a torque heavy powerplant that has every spinning shaft parrallel to the roll axis - the arse end has one mission in life, it simply wants to corkscrew around the rest of the bike causing the worst effect (if left unchecked) possible.

I get that the engine/drive train is a stressed member but its only attached at the standard points just like my Bellagio and the steering head sits way up high and a long way from the two front frame bolts that join the plates to the down tubes let alone relying on bracing from the four mount points at the gearbox.

So again, I would love to see the frame under the tank but unless its milled out of solid or something magical done there I simply dont see how one can double the claimed horsepower capability of the original design.

Having said that, I want one!
    Last edited by Chris Wilson; 12-13-2018 at 12:41 AM.

apriliaforum expert
    Pete and Todd are not on good terms.
    If you aren't a fan of Todds work, that is fine. Everyone gets to have their own opinion. But calling it a "joke" and dismissing it without even seeing it in person is not a educated opinion.
    If I had the spare coin and the room in the garage I would buy one. But that is too rich for my blood.

I just realized who this is. If he builds frames the same way he "designs" exhaust systems, well, Pete is right.

I just wish they'd turn the lights on for the photos.
    Pete

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeyjoe View Post
    I just realized who this is. If he builds frames the same way he "designs" exhaust systems, well, Pete is right.
    I can only say that I have one of his exhaust on my Griso 1100 and it is well made and works well. I don't agree with some of his ideas on collector theory but other than that I can't fault the right side exit system he sold me for my Griso. It is well made, sounds great, works great, and looks better than any other pipe I have seen for a Griso.
    I stay out of the personality pissing match.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    But calling it a "joke" and dismissing it without even seeing it in person is not a educated opinion.
    If I had the spare coin and the room in the garage I would buy one. But that is too rich for my blood.
    Agreed, but the 'dismissal' for the viewing public is supplied by its own advertisement as shown by the link in this thread.
    How can one 'see' anything other than art with black and white images that are 90 % black?

I have been in advertising for about 40 years and the moment I see performance figures listed as a feature then I know that most enquiring male minds need visual proof, an exploded diagram, a construction sequence or something to make them nod wisely in agreeance otherwise the only validity comes from reputation, and again being brutally honest I dont know Todd either.

I dont 'know' much about this bike at all and here the advertising dismally fails to recify that.

Does nothing for me. If it were my money, I'd be picking up a gently used Griso and hitting it with an Ipothesys Aria conversion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aria V12.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	371588

apriliaforum Junkie
    I am guessing that this shows the steering headName:  gtm01steeringhead.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  8.9 KB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast