Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a Speed triple but would it be too similar to the Tuono?

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar

Thinking about a Speed triple but would it be too similar to the Tuono?

As per the thread title, I was in the local Triumph dealership yesterday and I really like the look of the Speed Triples. I've no intention of parting with my Tuono, but I quite fancy a Triumph to sit alongside it in my garage. I know there's a few of the guys here who either have one or have owned one. I'd appreciate your views. I know the Trumpet is a great bike, but would it be so similar to the Tuono that I wouldn't ride it much. I love the Tuono!
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

I don't have a Speed Triple, but a Sprint GT with the 1050 triple engine. Though a fantastic power plant, it's hard to compare to the V4's overall performance and sheer brilliance. The Triumph has better fueling and is happy at just about any speed while generally being more civil in town. The triple handles lighter as well.

The triple satisfies. The V4 thrills. They're different enough to warrant the same garage if you're into bikes with handlebars.
    www.thailongly.com
    www.flickr.com/tl2bass
    @TL2Bass (Instagram/Twitter)
    2017 Tuono 1100 RR
    2016 Tuono 1100 RR (just broke up)
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050

Motorcycle.com Contributing Writer / Guest Tester
    www.motorcycle.com

STG Sponsored Rider
    www.sportbiketrackgear.com

Quote Originally Posted by TL2Bass View Post

The triple satisfies. The V4 thrills. They're different enough to warrant the same garage if you're into bikes with handlebars.
    Yep, that's the key difference! Sort of like having High Tea at Harrods compared with latte at McDonald's.

Whilst not a fair comparison, I was out on my 'little' NS400R the other day and it was refreshing to be on something completely different - just as the Triumph would be to the Tuono. As you're well aware, there is great joy in 'selecting' what bike you'll ride on a given day. I think both Triumph and Tuono complement each other but in their own special ways.

As a non-handlebar' person, I still have a soft spot for the Daytona!
    2005 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory / 2007 MV F4 1000R
    2004 CBR1000RR Fireblade / 2011 CBR1000RR Fireblade / 2018 CBR1000RR Fireblade SP2

1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R

apriliaforum Member
    In my opinion the Triumph and Tuono are to similar in mission to be in the same garage. The Tuono out performs the speed triple but they are both naked bikes, similar seating position, and similar riding ergonomics. When I was looking for a second bike I wanted something radically different to complement my BMW K16GTLE so I decided on a ZX14R. The BMW is my long distance tourer and the ZX14R is my day bike used for high speed day rides of 150 -200 miles.

To me the Triumph 1050 is trying to be a Tuono and coming up short in every department.

I love having an alternative ride but it needs to be very different. Mine are a Honda Firestorm and a 390 Duke.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered. (George Best, RIP)

apriliaforum Member
    I think it is strictly your choice. I have not ridden either bike but everything that I have read says they are both great bikes. My choice in bikes for quite some time has been an 07 MV Agusta Brutale 910R(only on the street), 2015 RSV4(street and track, dependent on the track) and a 2007 GSXR 750(only the track). Get what you want as you are the one who has to be happy and in the end, you are paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MV Rider View Post
    I think it is strictly your choice. . . Get what you want as you are the one who has to be happy and in the end, you are paying for it.
    Fair enough comment, and of course it has merit. But there are many times in life where a decision is assisted by the experiences of others. For instance, if a member posted the question: 'I am seeking a V-twin but cannot decide between a Honda VTR (or RTV in USA) and an aprilia RSV, there are a few on here, myself included, who could offer a concise comparison.

The OP specifically requested comments from those who had owned a Triumph, and it seems as if none us, myself included, can actually offer experiences.
    2005 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory / 2007 MV F4 1000R
    2004 CBR1000RR Fireblade / 2011 CBR1000RR Fireblade / 2018 CBR1000RR Fireblade SP2

1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    I have two Tuonos and had a Speed Triple, granted it was a 2001 955i.

Great motor, broad, flat torque curve. Good gas mileage compared to the Tuoldo. However suspension and brakes were garbage. But that's the old 955i's. The new Triples have good to very good suspension and brakes now, depending on which model trim you get. My only issue with the recent triples are the headlights. I don't like the cats eyes, should have stuck with the round bug eyes but that's my opinion.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

apriliaforum newb
    Where is the like button? Well put, couldn't have said this better.

Quote Originally Posted by TL2Bass View Post
    I don't have a Speed Triple, but a Sprint GT with the 1050 triple engine. Though a fantastic power plant, it's hard to compare to the V4's overall performance and sheer brilliance. The Triumph has better fueling and is happy at just about any speed while generally being more civil in town. The triple handles lighter as well.

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    I've been offered a test ride on a Street triple R tomorrow so if the weather plays ball watch this space.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

Tested street and speed RS. Not close to a Tuono, probably the street more engaging and enjoyable imo. For me a big overlap vs the Tuono. But if you like them....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like comparing dog breeds- each has it's own charm. I own both and love them both for different reasons.

Highly appealing bikes- sounds like you are going ride the Speed Triple and decide for yourself!
    Wherever I go- there I am!

Bikes are like jackets to me... I wear what fits my current mood. Though both bikes are naked uprights, they're completely different in how they make you feel when riding. The Nissan parked next to my Volvo are both 4 door sedans with leather and airbags, but couldn't be further apart despite their similar displacements and appointments. But much like having two different pairs of dress shoes that serve the same purpose, these categorically similar bikes are definitely miles apart when it comes to the user experience.

I owned a 675 Street Triple R prior to my Tuonos and that was a cracking bike! A bit more playful and less serious than the Speed Triple and a total do-all bike. But I think I'd still rather have a Speed Triple because that sweet ass torque curve just makes riding fun and the extra weight helps when traveling longer distances (light touring). Best thing is to ride one on an extended test ride. You'll know after a few solid miles whether or not it'll scratch this newfound itch.
    www.thailongly.com
    www.flickr.com/tl2bass
    @TL2Bass (Instagram/Twitter)
    2017 Tuono 1100 RR
    2016 Tuono 1100 RR (just broke up)
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050

Motorcycle.com Contributing Writer / Guest Tester
    www.motorcycle.com

STG Sponsored Rider
    www.sportbiketrackgear.com

apriliaforum Member
    I had 2 09 Speed Triples . Loved the sound of the 3 but not even close to the V4 . Tuono hands down in every way ! Triples fun bike but the Ape is an awesome machine!

apriliaforum prov-nov YellowandBlack's Avatar
    I wanted to love the new Speed Triple, but enjoyed the Street Triple more in back to back demo rides. Lighter and nimbler. I own a 2012 Tuono and a Daytona 675R, and feel that the Street Triple is more complementary to the Tuono than the Speed Triple would be. Of course, even if you get a 3-cylinder bike, you will still be needing a twin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast