Thread: Can anyone identify this?

apriliaforum newb

Can anyone identify this?

Iím trying to find out what brand of clutch slave this is. Anyone know?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F8791015-098D-4769-A6ED-7741AAFC81BA.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	371193  

apriliaforum Member
    I believe it's an Evoluzione slave. Had one on a Ducati Monster. Can't find much current info on them with a quick search.

Somebody sure made a mess of that bleeder.
    2000.5 RSV Mille R w/Ti shotgun exhaust, collector mod, Gabro F255 EPROM, Honda Mosfet R/R, Yamaha solenoid, Acculign rearsets, Oberon slave, Euro headlight switch, Harley shims

2003 RST-1000 Futura - In progress

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl View Post
    I believe it's an Evoluzione slave. Had one on a Ducati Monster. Can't find much current info on them with a quick search.
    I've got one and don't remember if anything is written on it.

I think it might be this meant for a Duc. http://www.ducatisuite.com/clutch.html

And then again https://store.58cycle.com/product_p/...m?1=1&CartID=0

Evo has been gone a long time. That picture wasn't even current when they disappeared as the seals are round cross section o-rings. My original round ones leaked - real fast. Evo replaced them with X-rings and they've been happy for 14 or so years now.

In my mind's eye, mine has Evolzione written on the face - then again, I'm gettin old.

Oh, this popped my head this morning - you might want mohave a look at the push rod https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...lave%2C+damage

go down to post 25 in the link I included my the 1st post to see what could happen if the slave piston is not modified

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for all the replies. You nailed it Ras! Too bad they’re gone.

Quote Originally Posted by marke525 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. You nailed it Ras! Too bad theyíre gone.
    Well, Mr. Earl got it right 1st.

You should definitely have a look at the pushrod. Don't have to mess with the the hose, just unbolt it. Mine was nowhere near as bad as that original poster's in that link, but I did have some wear. I haven't looked at it since.

Evo used that same slave for both Aprilia and Ducati twins Nice of them to share the bolt pattern. It was speculated that the bearing used just acted as a spacer to make the same unit work for both bikes. The clutch push rod does not spin so a 1/4" thick whatever that fits inside the piston will work.

That slave is far more difficult to bleed while starting from dry. Air gets trapped between the 3 o-rings and it takes a ride or 2 to free it up. Then another burp is in order. You'll also find the bike shifts better with the hand lever in the "large hands" setting. The larger diameter piston relates in a lighter pull, but at the expense of a shortened throw.

Iirc, Evoluzione closed up shop due to a contested divorce. doh!

Can anyone identify this?

Here is my experience.

I bought the EVO slave cylinder second hand. Two of three X rings were destroyed. To solve the issue I found local automotive rubber o-rings, more o less the proper size (slightly bigger).

No problems to bleed, even better than original. Works just fine with original master cylinder.

New X-rings were ordered from AF1, but I got only o-rings with remark that x-ring are now discontinued.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2407.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	293.3 KB 
ID:	371358

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2249.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	371360
    Last edited by Funtik; 12-06-2018 at 07:47 PM.
    Aprilia RST Futura 2003, Ash Gray.
    Aprilia Caponord 1200 Travel pack 2014, Red

Think that's more what mine looks like. That insignia is different as are the upper mounting bolts.

The problem with seals for these slaves is twofold. 1) butyl rubber is not very resistant to glycol brake fluid. 2) and because of the heat that lives inside that fairing, that makes life even harder for the seals. I actually talked to guys at Evo years ago and they told me they had issues with seals on 2 bikes. The 04 (hmm, think it was the 04)Mille and the Fut. both expose the slave to lots of heat.

EPDM rubber would be more chemical resistant, but it's not very strong/abrasion resistant , so it would wear out quickly.

I've no idea what my replacement x-rings look like. They're now over 10 years old w/no leaks

I replace the fluid every year. I'll just let gravity drain the old fluid at the slave while never letting the reservoir go dry.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Iirc, Evoluzione closed up shop due to a contested divorce. doh!
    Right you are, RAS. And here's what Mr. Z is up to these days. A real fine fellow, glad to see he's got some good stuff happening after getting drug through the shit.