Thread: Seal mate

apriliaforum expert

Seal mate

Anyone ever use one? Do they work? Seems like it would be awesome to fix a leaky seal for 5 bucks!

If this is the tool used to snake out a rolled fork seal, you can make one out of a plastic oil quart bottle. I think there are YouTube videos showing how if you don’t know.

for forks seals I used photographic film with 100% success. Decompressed air, than used it, and no more leak
    2006 Aprilia SXV 450
    Tuneboy Cable available in Poland

apriliaforum Junkie
    How coincidental. Just this past weekend I figured I had nothing to lose and made one from a plastic 2 L Coke bottle to clean a leaking seal on my Hyper. Maybe the plastic was too thick, or my technique was wrong, because a LOT of fork oil came running down the tube, which forced me to rush the job to keep oil loss to a minimum. Seems to have helped, but there is still some very minor weeping. I was impressed enough to order the version from Risk Racing (Seal Doctor) which makes spinning it around much easier.

I have a seal Doctor tool.

They are good, but only useful if it is dirt that is stuck in the seal causing the leak.

If your seal is nicked caused by dirt, or a mark on your fork stanchion, even a crusted on bug... It won't fix them and you'll need to replace the seal and inspect the chromed stanchions carefully.

The tool is double sided, one prong is for cleaning the dust wiper and the thinner end of the oil seal. It says on each one which is which.

BTW a little oil loss is normal when trying to clean the oil seal.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie
    Hmmmm. I looked at the fork this evening, and it's dry! I thought the telltale ring around the stanchion was oil, but it's just a thin film of dirt. When I was initially working on the seal this weekend, I bounced the forks more than 15 times in sets of 10, and each time I could see a ring formed on the stanchion and was able to wipe a less and less oil from that ring. Then I took it out for a ride and when I got back it didn't look any worse, but I just assumed it was still weeping. Cool!

apriliaforum expert
    Im going to order one today. Will report back on the experience.

Relax... What your seeing is the oil that ran down the fork leg which collected in your dust seal.... Open it up and spray it with contact or brake cleaner so there is no oil in it.

If you see oil after that... Your seal still has dirt or is damaged.

When cleaning the oil seal I use contact or brake cleaner, it dissolves the oil. Haven't tried compressed air, bit it may well work too.

Old camera film works too, but the seal doctor tool makes rotation easy.

They are designed and patented originally by an Irish company.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenb View Post
    Relax... What your seeing is the oil that ran down the fork leg which collected in your dust seal.... Open it up and spray it with contact or brake cleaner so there is no oil in it.

If you see oil after that... Your seal still has dirt or is damaged.

When cleaning the oil seal I use contact or brake cleaner, it dissolves the oil. Haven't tried compressed air, bit it may well work too.

Old camera film works too, but the seal doctor tool makes rotation easy.

They are designed and patented originally by an Irish company.

I did wipe the underside of the oil seal as well as the top of the dust seal, and then sprayed brake cleaner, but perhaps there was some residual I missed (did it with the forks on the bike, and was worried about getting brake cleaner on the wheels. Still dry! Now that I know this simple tool works, I don't mind spending the $25 on the fancy Rick Racing version that will make my life that much easier. I have a bunch of other forks (on and off other bikes) that weep a little and hopefully can be cleaned the same way.