Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MotoAmerica 2019 season

MotoAmerica 2019 season

Figured I would get it started......

Looks like the 2018 Supersport champ will be running purple colors for Ridiculous Racing this year since Yamaha shut down the 600 team.

Still no news on who is filling Roger Hayden's seat, but a bit of interesting gossip is that Josh Herrin of Attack Racing just got two GSXR 1000's, so I am not sure if that means Attack is switching teams since one has their decals on it or if Herrin will be taking the seat.

Benny Solis rode in the last Repsol CEV Moto2 race and finished 10th, but not sure if he is going back to MA for 2019.

Rumor has it that Westby Racing may switch to Aprilia for 2019 as well, but they were just at Barber this last weekend and still on Yamaha. They have lost the Yamalube sponsorship though, so we'll see.....
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    These losses of sponsorship and factory support by Yamaha are not good signs for Moto America. The Superbike grid was anemic last season, Supersport was well filled at least but still....
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

The lower series' are packed. The twins class did well last year and the 300 class was fantastic. Money is slowly coming back, but right now sponsorship is still a bitch, as it is everywhere. Last year's NASCAR Champion team, which also finished in 2nd this year, is closing their doors for the same reason.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

It looks like a lot of former Yamaha riders are switching bikes. I am guessing that is based on Yamaha pulling way back on all of their sponsorship.

Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    These losses of sponsorship and factory support by Yamaha are not good signs for Moto America. The Superbike grid was anemic last season, Supersport was well filled at least but still....
    I don't see the series surviving.
    I don't care about my apathy.

Yamaha USA is hurting financially. Period. They are also moving headquarters from the heart of LA to Atlanta, GA, in order to cut costs.

I am also seeing that Josh Herrin just got a new GSXR 1000. Sign of a change to the big S over the Yamaha?
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

With this announcement, I would expect to see another soon that Herrin is on the Yosh bike.....

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...aha-superbike/
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    With this announcement, I would expect to see another soon that Herrin is on the Yosh bike.....

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...aha-superbike/
    I thought the American Honda Magnetti Marelli bash article was more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Prospected View Post
    I thought the American Honda Magnetti Marelli bash article was more interesting
    There was only one mention of MM USA, and that was when he stated he rented an older system. He was bashing MM as an entire company and MotoAmerica for their rules. A very well warranted bashing too from the sounds of it.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    There was only one mention of MM USA, and that was when he stated he rented an older system. He was bashing MM as an entire company and MotoAmerica for their rules. A very well warranted bashing too from the sounds of it.
    My reaction was a little different and my first thought was "what a bunch of whiny self-pitying bs." Broaster took no responsibility for their results or acknowledged that they and Honda bear a lot of responsibility. Both Yamaha and Suzuki have been able to use the MM equipment and software and (at least Yamaha) supply their private teams with working MM equipment. Why was Honda unable to do so? And, having worked with the MM system used in MotoAmerica, I can personally attest that it is not all that complicated.

Anyway, given that the resources in MotoAmerica are less than in WSBK, one think that may have some merit is to open up the series restriction on using MM. There is no reason why customer teams should not have the option to use ECU suppliers other than MM if they so chose (but factory supported teams would still need to make their software available to customer teams).

Edit: The difficulties with errors in the software would be the result of Honda Europe which developed the specific package. Not sure why they blame MM for those.
    Last edited by The Law; 12-05-2018 at 04:43 PM.

They should be running BSB rules if they want bikes and competition on the grid. WSBK regardless of their 'price cap' is expensive to run and GP is unobtainable less a worldwide Sponsor.

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospected View Post
    They should be running BSB rules if they want bikes and competition on the grid. WSBK regardless of their 'price cap' is expensive to run and GP is unobtainable less a worldwide Sponsor.
    Same with any series, they refuse to mimic something that is proven successful because their egos are too big and they didn't think of it first.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    Same with any series, they refuse to mimic something that is proven successful because their egos are too big and they didn't think of it first.
    I think that is incredibly far off the mark in this case. MotoAmerica is basing their rules on the rules of other series. That is something they are up front about. There is no ego issue about rules with them.

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    As said by a former President, "You can't please all of the people all of the time"

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    I think that is incredibly far off the mark in this case. MotoAmerica is basing their rules on the rules of other series. That is something they are up front about. There is no ego issue about rules with them.
    The rules were supposed to be based off FIM rules for Superbike etc to keep in more in line with those series and make it a better feeder onto the world stage.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast