Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MotoAmerica 2019 season

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    I think that is incredibly far off the mark in this case. MotoAmerica is basing their rules on the rules of other series. That is something they are up front about. There is no ego issue about rules with them.
    Really? How's that working out so far? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't MotoAmerica rules closer to WSBK than BSB? Whatever they are it doesn't appear to be succeeding in retaining factory interest or attracting sponsors....its got to be hard raising the budget to run a team when interest is so deflated, they really need to find the way to broaden the appeal of the series, once that starts to happen it'll gather momentum and take on a life of its own......how to achieve that? Dunno, the circumstances in the US are way different to the UK so BSB can't be used as a definitive template, but there's got to be pointers in there.

We really need a strong US series with ambitious riders that are capable of elevating themselves to World Championships, its no good them being content to stay at home.

PJ did that, he got off his ass, moved to Europe and gave it a go - I'm just sorry that it hasn't worked out for him, but at least he had the balls to try.

Full of admiration for Joe Roberts also, he's clearly got bags of talent but he's having to tough it out on inferior rides.....every time it rains he leaps into the top ten, no mean feat in Moto2, hopefully his efforts will be rewarded at some stage and he'll land a decent seat. At least he is trying.

apriliaforum expert
    The reason that MotoAmerica is having problems is the same reason WSBK is having problems. Not enough Factory and sponsor money available to support the series. Adopting BSB rules won't help anyone. I know, let's make them Spec Series, like Moto 2, and we'll make them all ride Aprilias.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    Really? How's that working out so far? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't MotoAmerica rules closer to WSBK than BSB? Whatever they are it doesn't appear to be succeeding in retaining factory interest or attracting sponsors....its got to be hard raising the budget to run a team when interest is so deflated, they really need to find the way to broaden the appeal of the series, once that starts to happen it'll gather momentum and take on a life of its own......how to achieve that? Dunno, the circumstances in the US are way different to the UK so BSB can't be used as a definitive template, but there's got to be pointers in there.

We really need a strong US series with ambitious riders that are capable of elevating themselves to World Championships, its no good them being content to stay at home.

PJ did that, he got off his ass, moved to Europe and gave it a go - I'm just sorry that it hasn't worked out for him, but at least he had the balls to try.

Full of admiration for Joe Roberts also, he's clearly got bags of talent but he's having to tough it out on inferior rides.....every time it rains he leaps into the top ten, no mean feat in Moto2, hopefully his efforts will be rewarded at some stage and he'll land a decent seat. At least he is trying.
    Sorry. I was just trying to politely point out that your statement about ego was wrong. Sorry if I was too polite about it so that you missed the point.
    Moto America is struggling, as are sportbike sales in general in this country. But the series itself is doing pretty well. It started at the bottom, after being taken over from the previous group running American RoadRacing. They have done better and better every year so far. Aside from one team crying about their problems trying to get a Honda to be competitive, most of the series seems OK. Sure, things could be better. But the same could be said for BSB, where most racers have to pay for their seat. Hopefully the days where all the racers are being paid to be there will come back around. But right now money is tight around here and that ain't happening anytime soon, no matter what the rules package is.

apriliaforum expert
    The direction these all series should take, wsbk included, is to base the spec on the now discontinued stk1000.
    This would make costs a lot lower, and with top level riders and slick tyres the bikes would probably be very close to what they are now doing on the wsbk-spec machinery.
    My opinion, but probably I am right

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Ban carbon fibre bodywork from production racing, fibreglass only

apriliaforum expert
    My experience racing is that rules do not determine how much it costs to win in a given series, they only determine how you spend your money. The cost to win in a given series is determined by what the people / teams competing in the series decide it is worth to win. Way back when we raced a year in the HD 883 class. It was a spec one make, one model, series. Some teams spent large amounts of money to win. We were only doing it as a side to racing our Ducati's. But it was amazing to see what the top teams spent on that.
    I never found carbon fiber bodywork to be an issue cost wise. In fact, quality carbon fiber bodywork was often more durable than fiberglass bodywork. But then, quality fiberglass bodywork also tended to be more durable, just harder to find. But seriously, in the scheme of racing costs, bodywork isn't normally a big factor (unless you crash way too much). We would spend as much on the paint job applied to the bodywork as we did on the carbon fiber bodywork.

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    Sorry. I was just trying to politely point out that your statement about ego was wrong. Sorry if I was too polite about it so that you missed the point.
    Moto America is struggling, as are sportbike sales in general in this country. But the series itself is doing pretty well. It started at the bottom, after being taken over from the previous group running American RoadRacing. They have done better and better every year so far. Aside from one team crying about their problems trying to get a Honda to be competitive, most of the series seems OK. Sure, things could be better. But the same could be said for BSB, where most racers have to pay for their seat. Hopefully the days where all the racers are being paid to be there will come back around. But right now money is tight around here and that ain't happening anytime soon, no matter what the rules package is.
    My initial comment regarding egos wasn't specifically aimed at MotoAmerica, those responsible for the continuing decline of WSBK are the worst culprits when it comes to egotistical decisions and a refusal to consider strategies that have worked in other championships. I hope that what you say about the growing success of MotoAmerica is true, it would be great to have some American's successfully progressing to World championships again.
    I've never known a period in the UK, or Europe for that matter, where riders have been paid - some at the top yes, but most have relied on personal sponsorship, family, day jobs, prize money or start money to scratch a living - and the last 2 don't happen any more, exception being pure road racing, which is why a lot of the short circuit guys take that up, sometimes with dire consequences when their short circuit style gets them into big trouble.

Sports bikes used to dominate sales here also, but not anymore, it's adventure, naked and retro bikes now - but it doesn't seem to have had any negative effect on the interest in racing.

Sorry to keep referring back to BSB, it's not because I'm British, there's lots of things about it I don't like, and if you look below the glossy veneer it's a pretty ruthless environment, but there's no denying its success - when 50000 people turn up for a National series bike race you've got to admit they're doing something right so it could be considered as a benchmark for running any National series, or an International series such as WSBK.
    Caveat is that every country has its own set of circumstances to consider so what works in the UK isn't necessarily transferable - but it's perhaps not a bad datum point from which to start?
    Last edited by Powerful Pierre; 12-07-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post

Unfortunately, PJ fell victim to a number of poor business decisions by his former teams. The original Kawasaki he rode for in Supersport's Owner literally disappeared off the face of the map and the team dissolved. TenKate was handcuffed by HRC 's termination of support for the 600's after VanderMark won the class and they left the last year PJ ran. MV Agusta had been riddled by horrible reliability with Cluzel's motors grenading themselves several times the year before PJ joined them. Cluzel must've known something was up and jumped ship. The once rocket ship MV down the straights was de-tuned and PJ looked like he had a parachute on back. The Triple M Honda and let's face it, big brother Ten Kate were steaming piles of dog$hit. Unfortunate for PJ but that's the racing game.

some bad circumstances for that guy. a bummer.
    i liked how things were about 10 years ago. some fast riders, sponsors, clear divisions of class. can't even watch on tv now. in a country with this much $$ floating around. the support in the u.k. really makes you wonder.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Iím gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

"The vehicle is constructed of inedible parts. Do not bite, suck, chew or swallow any part of the vehicle for any reason whatever".
    (RS250 manual 9:16)

Hasn't there been talk of Loris Baz moving to MotoAmerica? I know he was rumoured to be coming to BSB but the Honda ride he was pencilled in for has been taken by Xavi Forces - Loris would be good value.

apriliaforum prov-nov RSVChris89's Avatar
    I feel a big part of the problem is track availability for riders to get into the sport and the cost for spectators to watch races here in the US. The UK is less than half the size of Texas in square miles but probably contains the same number of quality road courses as the Us. This size difference makes it harder for people here to get into/stay in sport bike riding/racing. For example, I had to move away from Baton Rouge for work reasons. While I lived there, I had 2 road courses within a 2 hour drive or less. I did track days fairly regularly. Now the closest one is 4 hours away. That means it isn't just a matter of driving in, riding, and going home anymore. It's book a hotel room, stay the night before the track day, ride, stay the night of the track day, then come home the day after. Needless to say I don't do track days anymore. This difference in size and track density also makes a difference on the spectator turn out. A lot of people in the US just can't afford to make it to the races. Not that ticket costs are high. They're actually super reasonable. The problem comes to the fact that you have to travel to see them. Not a big deal in the UK (again it's less than half the size of Texas). Here in the US, that could mean traveling 1,000+ miles. You spend 3-4 times what the event costs just getting there. I'd love to get my kids into the sport but it will more than likely be in the dirt. MX courses are all over the place. We need more road courses here to help garner the next generation of racers and to make in more feasible to make it to events.
    Last edited by RSVChris89; 12-10-2018 at 07:47 PM.

I don't believe Stoner would come race in the US. I DO believe that it is a mistake to try to perk the series up via a name as well.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

No way Stoner rides in MA.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

Someone suggested Stoner should race here?
    I don't care about my apathy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast