Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre Season testing 19 MotoGP

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    My bologna has a first name....... it's O S C A R
    My bologna has a second name..... it's M E Y E R

Oh I love to eat it every day and if you ask me why I'll say.......
    Well if nobody else will play along:

" 'cause Oscar Meyer has a way, with b-o-l-o-g-n-a"
    Driving Force at ducatitoolrental.com
    Motorcycles: a celebration of the human condition.

It appears both Honda and Ducati have made solid progress. Honda closing the HP gap to Ducati, and slowly improving their front end's tire stressing woes. Marc able to run the med front without issue is a good sign, and bodes well for JL who was also quick preference of using softer compound front tires. If they take another step with the chassis at Sepang both the Repsol boys could be right up front. 3 bikes in the top 4 is proof the bike is improving.

Ducati are king in the HP dept, thus allowing them to focus on chassis turning. Rumored to have taken another step towards solving the bikes mid corner understeer issues they will be there right there next season. However, I think the situation will be reversed with Dovi getting buzzed by the Repsol pair. I think DP and JM will factor in at some rounds, but not feature at the front over the course of the whole season. Next seasons title favorites MM followed and Dovi. I think JL will def win some races, but ultimately a lack of experience will prevent him from nailing the setup at every round.

Yamaha will have come under much bigger threat from Suzuki this coming season and will likely not feature in the championship fight again. No doubt they are struggling, every factory has experienced regulation change missteps. It helps to have a rider a special rider that can ride around problems. Unfortunately neither Roscoe, or MV seem to possess this ability. Both Honda (800cc ERA) and Ducati (Rossi Era up until Gigi came on board) know what it's like to be behind the eightball.

Yamaha have traditionally favored small steps towards improving their bike. Since Thailand it appears they are back on track and improving the M1 baby step by baby step. I suspect this may lead to the ongoing power struggle with the team to boil over next season. VR is riding on borrowed time and the sand is quickly draining from the top of the hourglass. He's pushing Yamaha engineers to give him something to help him win 'NOW' where as MV has time on his side which fits better with the factories incremental step by step improvement mantra. Despite MV being relatively fast during recent test deep down I think Yamaha are aware their issues cannot be solved over night as Rossi would like. Combined with the high competitive levels of not one, but two rivals it's reasonable to suggest Yamaha have lessen expectations for next season. Likely first to improve the bike as to return to frequent podiums, then followed by a return to winning before finally targeting the championship. Given their current performance level, one might assume that chasing a title next season would be a bridge too far. I think many answers will be revealed in Sepang.
    Last edited by prettykin; 11-29-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Great, concise report above!
    2005 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory / 2006 Aprilia RS50 / 2001 Aprilia RS50
    2007 MV F4 1000R
    2004 CBR1000RR Fireblade / 2011 CBR1000RR Fireblade / 2018 CBR1000RR Fireblade SP2

1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R

The combined times from 2 days at Jerez.
    Looks interesting & very close.
    Note the difference between Iannone & Aleix.

Name:  MGP test.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  125.0 KB
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Brad and Alex are very close so they may be testing new stuff, Iannone' may be trying race pace setups ? Or he could just be much quicker. It's testing so we don't know what agendas they have

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    Brad and Alex are very close so they may be testing new stuff, Iannone' may be trying race pace setups ? Or he could just be much quicker. It's testing so we don't know what agendas they have
    Aleix has been ill, missed the first day, so that possibly explains his performance relative to Iannone, but yes, he could be testing new stuff while Iannone is focuses on getting a feel for the bike in its current state.

Jorge looks competitive already, which is a pleasant surprise, I'm wondering what front tyre he is using and whether he's done any race distance simulations.

Hoping that Yamaha give Maverick what he needs - he's the future for them and they'll lose him if they don't.

Bagnia is seriously impressive, strength in depth for Ducati.

KTM need to make a significant step but no sign of it yet - is the trellis frame holding them back?

Suzuki appear to have made a good signing in Mir and Rins is getting better all the time - if their next generation bike is a continuation of their recent improvement then they could be regular podium contenders.

apriliaforum expert
    It does look like the Honda is not so hard to ride after all. If JLo is up to speed this quickly on it it does look like he and Marc will be battling hard next year. As long as he can run that pace for a race distance. This should be good, Marc may have a team mate that can give him a run for his money.

apriliaforum expert
    Nobody picked up on the Ducati rear end mods ?

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/n...-jerez-stories

Alvaro Bautista - Ducati Test Team

Hmmm...how about that.
    Windmill cancer survivor.
    I don't care about my apathy.

apriliaforum expert
    Danilo tried it as well and didn't like the rear end mod. He said the idea isn't bad but the current design has too many cons

It's all relative. Being that Cal has ridden all 3 of the top factory team bikes he likely means the Honda is the most difficult/tiresome of the 3 to ride at the limit. Nearly everyone in the paddock agree the Yamaha is the easiest and most user friendly. It appears both Honda and Ducati have taken major steps in regards to making their bikes easy to ride like the Yamaha with the Honda still being the most physical and unforgiving. Taka Naka is proof the '18 Honda is head and shoulders more sorted than his '17 bike I'm sure Frankie is on cloud nine after making the switch from the even older customer Honda's MVDS were stuck with. JL's biggest strength is his ability to do most of his hard braking upright, keep the wheels in line, and carry an insane amount of corner speed at high lean angles. From what I've read the Ducati is the polar opposite as it like it's nose buried from hard braking helping it to turn in better. Lots of rear brake and steering with the rear wheel. Wheels out of line and a pinch of lean angle as leaning the bike to much causes it to understeer badly. Throw in a bad tank design (for him) and it's a miracle he didn't hang himself in his motorhome during the 2017 season. The Honda is probably much more similar to the Yamaha in terms of strengths and attributes, but just more more manic.

stumbled upon 2 highlights videos of the Jerez test, some interesting chat.

Last edited by plocky; 12-03-2018 at 12:35 AM.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

that's good stuff. have to admit- like seeing whore ghey in that get up on that bike. i see a spy vs spy kind of thing in my head.
    "death from misadventure"

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Im gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

MM looks like he's going to fall off at every corner on every lap, the mental strength it must take to be so on the edge for so long is unreal.
    seesecurity.com.au

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by yzr750 View Post
    MM looks like he's going to fall off at every corner on every lap, the mental strength it must take to be so on the edge for so long is unreal.
    It really will be interesting to see how Jorge fares next season. Will we see more crashes from Marc if he's pushed hard by a team mate?

Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast