Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre Season testing 19 MotoGP

apriliaforum expert
    Going out on a limb here, there are two aspects involved.
    With a simple sensor the ECU can tell where the suspension is within its travel. And by monitoring that it can also calculate the rate of change. But for a sensor itself to provide the rate of change it must be a more complicated sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    Going out on a limb here, there are two aspects involved.
    With a simple sensor the ECU can tell where the suspension is within its travel. And by monitoring that it can also calculate the rate of change. But for a sensor itself to provide the rate of change it must be a more complicated sensor.
    Exactly. The calculations can be done in the IMU or in the ECU. Why complicate a simple (cheap and easy to replace) sensor when you have computational devices up-stream?
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered. (George Best, RIP)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Exactly. The calculations can be done in the IMU or in the ECU. Why complicate a simple (cheap and easy to replace) sensor when you have computational devices up-stream?
    Yes, but I think the issue here is that the stock ECU has limited ability, and as of this coming season so will the IMU.
    So it will require perhaps a different strategy for wheelie control than previously used. It has been suggested that was an area where Yamaha was struggling compared to Honda and Ducati. I do not know that to be true, but if it is the new required spec IMU could reduce Yamaha's disadvantage.
    I guess we will see. I am not holding my breath, though.

Yes, but I think the issue here is that the stock ECU has limited ability, and as of this coming season so will the IMU.
    So it will require perhaps a different strategy for wheelie control than previously used. It has been suggested that was an area where Yamaha was struggling compared to Honda and Ducati. I do not know that to be true, but if it is the new required spec IMU could reduce Yamaha's disadvantage.
    I guess we will see. I am not holding my breath, though.
    Yup. Could be interesting.

I would love to find out a bit more of what's going on in these MotoGP IMUs and ECUs and, perhaps, have a comparison to what's fitted to the RSV4s and Tuonos.
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered. (George Best, RIP)

I would love to find out a bit more of what's going on in these MotoGP IMUs and ECUs and, perhaps, have a comparison to what's fitted to the RSV4s and Tuonos.
    now THAT would be interesting.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. Im gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

apriliaforum expert

Looking forward to it.
    I clearly don't work for a MotoGP team, and it seems most of my best racing days are behind me. But I do work in a field that involves sensors and control logic. I think the creative interpretation of the rules and the idea of using the IMU to do things the standard ECU can't do is cool. I am hopeful that it will level the playing field, but part of me is sad when clever solutions to problems get banned. I am a fan of the amazing skill the riders display, but I am also a fan of the engineering that goes into these machines. I love the amazing tech and performance it brings.
    F1 pulls the same stupid shit, everytime someone gets too clever they change the rules to make that illegal. WTF? And how does that make racing cheaper? But I digress.

Bummer for both Dani and KTM

https://www.crash.net

Dani Pedrosa has been ruled out of MotoGP testing action for KTM ahead of stem cell surgery on a double collarbone fracture

Aja - When all my dime dancin' is through
    Looking forward to it.
    I clearly don't work for a MotoGP team, and it seems most of my best racing days are behind me. But I do work in a field that involves sensors and control logic. I think the creative interpretation of the rules and the idea of using the IMU to do things the standard ECU can't do is cool. I am hopeful that it will level the playing field, but part of me is sad when clever solutions to problems get banned. I am a fan of the amazing skill the riders display, but I am also a fan of the engineering that goes into these machines. I love the amazing tech and performance it brings.
    F1 pulls the same stupid shit, everytime someone gets too clever they change the rules to make that illegal. WTF? And how does that make racing cheaper? But I digress.
    It makes it cheaper because the teams don’t need to employ a development team of fifty guys to get a jump on the competition. They just hire two engineers to set the parameters and monitor the results.

The biggest contributor to costs is constantly-changing rules. The way to level the field is to keep the rules static for a few years.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by LEDAero View Post
    It makes it cheaper because the teams don’t need to employ a development team of fifty guys to get a jump on the competition. They just hire two engineers to set the parameters and monitor the results.

The biggest contributor to costs is constantly-changing rules. The way to level the field is to keep the rules static for a few years.
    That is one way to look at it. Another is the teams still have to spend the money to gain any advantage they can but often times that money spent is "wasted" after that tech has been deemed illegal the following year.
    But making stuff illegal after it is developed does not reduce the cost of developing the tech in the first place.
    It was like the blown diffuser in F1. One team figured it out, then the other teams copied the tech. By the time they banned blown diffusers all the teams had spent considerable sums of money developing the tech, money already spent for tech they can no longer use.
    Additionally, often times what ends up happening is when they ban the tech the teams have to spend even MORE money trying to figure out how to regain that advantage within the new rules structure, so it doesn't stop with loosing out on the money already spent developing the tech, now the teams have to spend even more.
    The same thing occurs in MotoGP.
    And by my definition, your reference to "constantly-changing rules" being one of the biggest contributers to increased costs (which I agree with) is what we are talking about. WHen they change the rules to ban a new tech one or more teams developed that is changing the rules.

The teams that didn’t chase that dragon, but spent the time getting their riders to ride better, are not disadvantaged.

Aprilia? lol
    02 RSV Red , Derestricted intake, EVO airbox kit, Evo alu trumpets, Carbon panels from 01 MilleR, Haga dash, Ohlins damper, Sato rearsets, Tigcraft 80mm full system, 04 mirrors
    '04 Futura Silver, de-restricted air box, mille boot & Evo air filter, John B's rectifier & Anderson Power Pole connectors, brass QD, Nippy Normans HID low beam and Boss Bob's HID highs, Skidmark CF hugger & chainguard, TaylorMades, Helibars, Evo clutch slave, AF1 radial masters & 4 pad brakes, CRG clutch and brake levers, Rhino frame and front axle sliders, Wilbers shock, Lindemann Eng. fork mods, heated grips Gloebs' former bike

apriliaforum expert
    The teams that didn’t chase that dragon, but spent the time getting their riders to ride better, are not disadvantaged.
    Yeah, I am not sure Aprilia came out to well compared to the teams that did "chase that dragon" like HRC and Ducati.

Early days - wait until they are all using the same IMUs

Early days - wait until they are all using the same IMUs

People said the same thing when they switched to spec electronics...

And look how that levelled the field.

But, they overlooked IMUs - that has now been remedied.

Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast