Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Derbi GPR dashboard issue

  1. #1
    apriliaforum prov-nov Istiniar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    34

    Derbi GPR dashboard issue

    So, here is a very weird yet hard to understand issue. I own a EBS050 engine GPR. When the bike is running dashboard is going to show faulty speed. As example, If I start the bike in neutral and let it sit, it shows inaccurate speed or if I rev it numbers will change. But If kill it and let it accerelate downhill, dashboard is actually going to show correct speed. So, what could be the problem ? And how do I fix this ?

  2. #2
    apriliaforum expert ToraTora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Istiniar View Post
    So, here is a very weird yet hard to understand issue. I own a EBS050 engine GPR. When the bike is running dashboard is going to show faulty speed. As example, If I start the bike in neutral and let it sit, it shows inaccurate speed or if I rev it numbers will change. But If kill it and let it accerelate downhill, dashboard is actually going to show correct speed. So, what could be the problem ? And how do I fix this ?
    Could you post a photo of your dash board? The reason I ask is the speedometer could be a number of different units. If you have a 2005 bike you'll probably have to get a replacement.

  3. #3
    apriliaforum prov-nov Istiniar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    Could you post a photo of your dash board? The reason I ask is the speedometer could be a number of different units. If you have a 2005 bike you'll probably have to get a replacement.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181004_201101_HHT~2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	465.6 KB 
ID:	370131
    Sorry, just forgot to mention whic model year it is. It's 2004.

  4. #4
    apriliaforum expert Scoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Bristol. United Kingdom
    Posts
    532
    I have no knowledge on your specific bike but with plenty of experience on other engines, my first move would be to remove the speed sensor and carefully check the cabling for damage and thoroughly clean connections and the sensor. If symptom persists its going to cheaper to replace the sensor first rather than the speedo head.

  5. #5
    apriliaforum expert ToraTora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,354
    Yeah you are probably going to have to replace it. To troubleshoot this I would try to find a friend with a working system. Try his gauge on your bike, and your gauge on his bike. That should provide you with the necessary information on that to do next.

  6. #6
    apriliaforum prov-nov Istiniar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I have no knowledge on your specific bike but with plenty of experience on other engines, my first move would be to remove the speed sensor and carefully check the cabling for damage and thoroughly clean connections and the sensor. If symptom persists its going to cheaper to replace the sensor first rather than the speedo head.
    Will try that but, I am sure that it's not the case. Because actually it reads correct whilst not running.

  7. #7
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Latvia
    Posts
    95
    My only suggestion is to check if any connector is loose.

  8. #8
    apriliaforum prov-nov Istiniar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    Yeah you are probably going to have to replace it. To troubleshoot this I would try to find a friend with a working system. Try his gauge on your bike, and your gauge on his bike. That should provide you with the necessary information on that to do next.
    Is there any way taking out the gauge without taking apart the whole nose cone off ? Because I couldn't figure out without taking it off. Oh, and finding another GPR is quite an issue too

  9. #9
    apriliaforum prov-nov Istiniar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookex View Post
    My only suggestion is to check if any connector is loose.
    Yes it was the first thing I've done, I think there is something going wrong with the dashboard itself. But, hey thanks for the suggestion.

  10. #10
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Latvia
    Posts
    95
    If the only option is to replace the dash then you can just try to open it up maybe it's something easy like a bad contact.

    As for the removing the nose cone thing, it should be pretty easy and quick just look for some screws that hold it no and be careful of any wires. When I got my rs50 It had all of the bodywork removed in less than 2 hours (except for the tail because there were no problems there).

  11. #11
    apriliaforum expert ToraTora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Istiniar View Post
    Is there any way taking out the gauge without taking apart the whole nose cone off ? Because I couldn't figure out without taking it off. Oh, and finding another GPR is quite an issue too
    I have a bunch of photos in the DRP thread illustrating how it comes out. I think there are three screws you have to remove, and the harness connector. The connector can be rather challenging, but the photos should help.

  12. #12
    apriliaforum expert Scoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Bristol. United Kingdom
    Posts
    532
    Its strange that with engine dead (presumably ignition on), the speedo works but when engine spinning, it doesn't. Suggests that when the engine is running, the sensor is possibly receiving more than 12v and maybe causing a problem?

Similar Threads

  1. Derbi GPR 94cc and dellorto 19mm carb issues
    By whizo in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 08:09 AM
  2. Derbi GPR 50 Issues
    By pimpdaddydog123 in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 01:59 PM
  3. Rs50 v. Derbi GPR
    By rs50crazii in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 01:56 PM
  4. Rs50 v. Derbi GPR
    By rs50crazii in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 07:27 AM
  5. DERBI GPR STICKERS
    By myaprilia in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 12:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •