Thread: 2004 RSV 1000R Questions: Rear Brake is Crap, and False Overheating Warning Light?

apriliaforum newb

2004 RSV 1000R Questions: Rear Brake is Crap, and False Overheating Warning Light?

Hello,

I knew before I bought my 2004 RSV 1000R last year that the bike were quirky, and one of the least favorite things owners agreed upon was how poor the rear brakes are. Little did I know until I bought my bike and hopped on it that depressing the rear brake lever had all the consistency of stepping on a wet newspaper, and about as much stopping power. I'm pretty sure that I've seen threads on this subject (as well as fixes), but can't seem to locate any via the Search option. If anybody could send me links to previous threads on this subject, or let me know how to fix/upgrade the rear brakes (ie: suppliers, kits, instructions, pitfalls, etc.), that would be great.

Also, I seem to have a sporadic problem with regards to the bike's display indicating an overheat warning. I'll be tooling along and all of a sudden the red warning triangle with the exclamation point will start come on and the temp will start blinking 135*. This freaked me out the first time it happened (on the freeway, the previous temperature indicating approx. 90*). I pulled over, turned the bike off and thought of how to get towed from that location. About 2 mins later, I turned the key to see if the temp had come down from "135*", and the bike was indicating 88* (which we all know can't happen in the span of 2 minutes, unless you parked the bike in a freezer). This has happened, sporadically, approximately 8 times in the last 6 months, and not rhyme or reason (different riding conditions, weather conditions, etc.). Is it simply a faulty temp sensor, or could it be something else? Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

Check the temp sensor ,maybe loose connection,with me bad sensor ,temp reading jumping up and down ....
    Janky

Check in kzmile s post s,you have it step by step.
    Janky

The back brake...
    Janky