Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Rs 660

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    Coming from someone who personally rides a Tuono 1100 Factory, it can sometimes be more fun to ride a motorcycle that has less power. I.E. you can wind up the gears more, using more of the rev range and all while getting into less potential trouble then on a bigger / faster bike. I'm excited for this bike!
    If Aprilia makes a Tuono version that puts out more than 100bhp with timing that mimics a v-twin engine note, I’m all over it (assuming that they can also sign up a dealer closer than a 6 hour drive from my home).

apriliaforum expert
    Definitely sounds like a V-Twin already. The power won't be much over 100 bhp, if at all. I think it could be the sweet spot for a lightweight road bike.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    my local dealer has a waiting list of buyers - my last project/investment bike was a 675 - the 660 would be a perfect bike for many

of course the 1100 appc is hard to get over ....
    present
    now a 2017 Aprilia Tuono RR let the mods begin
    sold the fun little 675 daytona
    previous - two Gen2 "Factories"
    5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

apriliaforum expert
    Looks like it'll be pretty close to the concept:

Name:  RS660 (1).jpg
Views: 321
Size:  77.0 KB
    Name:  RS660 (7).jpg
Views: 324
Size:  72.5 KB

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...uction-designs
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum Member
    I am guessing the price is going to be at least on par with R6. 13k bullet would be hard to bite when a Tuono RR is somewhere around 15k.

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    agree but a fun bike - perhaps it will be less $$?
    present
    now a 2017 Aprilia Tuono RR let the mods begin
    sold the fun little 675 daytona
    previous - two Gen2 "Factories"
    5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

apriliaforum expert
    I think it'll be closer to the 900s in price, at least the "basic" version.

There is nothing really on balance that adds cost over those existing V-twins, except the fact that it's new (despite clearly being designed to spread that development cost across multiple models and configurations).
    There is nothing, equally, about it that really makes it comparable to a Supersport in the same usage (i.e. racing, or facsimiles of it).

Aprilia (/Piaggio) may well bump the price in those markets it thinks it can get away with demanding a premium for it, that's just the way it works.
    But I think it absolutely must offer good value first, given Aprilia's reputation (deserved or otherwise) for being a little "distant" after the sale...
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    I think it'll be closer to the 900s in price, at least the "basic" version.

There is nothing really on balance that adds cost over those existing V-twins, except the fact that it's new (despite clearly being designed to spread that development cost across multiple models and configurations).
    There is nothing, equally, about it that really makes it comparable to a Supersport in the same usage (i.e. racing, or facsimiles of it).

Aprilia (/Piaggio) may well bump the price in those markets it thinks it can get away with demanding a premium for it, that's just the way it works.
    But I think it absolutely must offer good value first, given Aprilia's reputation (deserved or otherwise) for being a little "distant" after the sale...

What 900 ?

apriliaforum expert stevieboy22's Avatar
    My advice? Never buy the first year of a new model.

apriliaforum expert 2nd Childhood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coddo View Post
    What 900 ?
    Shiver & Dursoduro?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by stevieboy22 View Post
    My advice? Never buy the first year of a new model.
    Agreed. That applies with almost anything; phones, cars, bikes, electronics ...

First year Ducati V4... riddled with issues.

Quote Originally Posted by eloitr View Post

Good point but being that it’s half of the V4 it’s not entirely all new and unproven right? But yes that is a good rule of thumb but I want it now. Lol!
    2017 RSV4 RF (x2) - (1) FOR SALE
    2010 RSV4 Factory - SOLD
    2014 Beta 520 RS

OMRRA #99
    Sponsored by:
    Aprilia Portland
    HSBK Racing
    Cox Racingroup

apriliaforum newb
    But then you miss all the attention showered on you as the kid with the newest toy!

Quote Originally Posted by eloitr View Post

apriliaforum expert
    MO have non-watermarked versions of the design renders, including an easy side-by-side comparison with the concept:
    https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-feat...e-concept.html

I suppose in terms of component count, the engine is a bit of a hotspot for failures.

Regardless, this new engine is not a V4, doesn't share its bore and stroke (see below), nor rod length, nor crank angles / dimensions; plus, the vibration is completely different, as are the balance needs, so the major castings must be different (which they are) and the clutch / gearbox are unlikely to be the same - the cam drive is new as well. All of this means new parts, in new combinations: new opportunities for failure.

I mean, it's very unlikely any of the bore / stroke figures will be shared / similar:
    1000: 79 x 52.3
    1078: 81 x 52.3

Even if it's only 600 cc (i.e. 1200 as a four), keeping one of those dimensions constant would require at best either an 85.5 mm bore or a 58 mm stroke. Both require more space from what was meant to be a very compact design.

85.5 x 52.3
    '' 81 x 58.2
    '' 79 x 61.2

So it's probable that the entire V4 "platform" will need significant re-engineering to turn it into the twin, especially if it's closer to 650 cc.
    At least, as compared to the existing V4s... wink wink, nudge nudge (Aprilia, you tease).

More relevant examples:

Panigale V4:
    1000: 81 x 48.4
    1103: 81 x 53.5

Norton:
    1200: 82 x 56.8
    ' 650: 82 x 61.5

Both designs spring for a ~ 5 mm difference in stroke, which could be achieved on the Ducati with just a change to the crankpin grind (2.5 mm offset). I think it's very likely Aprilia will follow the same route as Norton.

At any rate, the only thing I've heard mentioned as being explicitly from the V4 are the cylinder heads (well, the spark plugs and coils!?) [HERE]: "in principle it's modified from the V4". In principle.
    But the cam drive is different, as already noted, so the heads are actually clearly different as well (maybe the combustion chamber is similar, but Euro5, so probably not). Again, at least as compared to the existing Aprilia V4s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download (3).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	382322 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download (4).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	382324

I think those pictures alone make it pretty clear that these are quite different engines (unlike, say, the Norton equivalents). And, bar some cycle parts, the entire rest of the bike is also new.
    None of this is guaranteed to make it any more or less reliable as a new model, that depends more on the R&D that went into it.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum expert stevieboy22's Avatar
    And possibly where it is manufactured.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast