Thread: Sportcity 250ie 2006 - stock vs mods

apriliaforum newb

Sportcity 250ie 2006 - stock vs mods

Hey all, i have a Sportcity 250ie 2006. It has 11,000kms and is in generally good condition. Apart from a Gianelli sports exhaust, the rest of the bike is stock. I am tossing up whether to add some inexpensive performance mods vs keeping it stock (and reliable). Any suggestions for relatively easy enhancements that wont compromise reliability? I have heard Dr Pulley sliding rollers can improve performance (though don't know the weight of the current stocks sliders, or the weight of performance ones), or a K&N air filter (RU 0600).
    Any thoughts/experience with these or other mods?

Thanks.

apriliaforum expert
    Put the Mallosi Red filter in the stock airbox and don't throw money away on the K&N.

The Dr Pulley work well in the stock weight just be sure to trim the oil sump gasket so the ribs on the back of the belt won't grab it an rip it out and to add an additional machined washer between the boss and outer drive face (the same one as the one behind the variator retaining nut).

Weight depends on which of the two variators used on the Sport City was installed on your bike. If your bike has the red 21mm x 17mm rollers they are 14 grams while the green 20mm x 17mm rollers are 10.7 grams. Its all listed pretty clearly in the AF1 parts link for these items.

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA (now in Murrells Inlet, SC
    Another good call rockynv on the red Mallosi filter. I put that one in my '09 250 sc but really don't notice any difference in performance. It is a better filter than the stock one though. Recently I also put in an Iridium spark plug and the engine seems to run a little smoother, starts quicker too. Back when I bought the scoot I put in 12 gm Dr. Pulley sliders. That's 2 gms lighter than stock and noticed a big increase in acceleration. At the time I didn't know about the belt eating the base gasket and it leaked oil all over the rear tire. Changed the base gasket and put in the washer and all is fine now. Both the base gasket and washer can be gotten from our host.
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum Junkie
    Dr pulleys are garbage but they are $40/set so you get duped into buying them like a dutiful modern vespa member...lol

Consider the source from the above 2 posters that have NOT done any performance modifications to a sport city. Both probably still have stock garbage tires on them.

I'm sure that turboblew thinks the Dr Pulley sliders are garbage but a lot of other riders (including me) think they are really good. They are reasonably priced, last longer than the stock ones, and perform better than stock. Most of us don't race our scoots we just want the best components for our scoot. Dr Pulley sliders, iridium plugs, Mallosi air filters and synthetic oils are just that. I think these parts reduce the maintenance and last longer than stock stuff. I have no inclination to do any performance mods to my scoot as it performs just the way I like it. - And yes I still have the stock tires on my scoot - when they wear out I'll buy a set of Michelins for it.
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillored View Post
    I'm sure that turboblew thinks the Dr Pulley sliders are garbage but a lot of other riders (including me) think they are really good. They are reasonably priced, last longer than the stock ones, and perform better than stock. Most of us don't race our scoots we just want the best components for our scoot. Dr Pulley sliders, iridium plugs, Mallosi air filters and synthetic oils are just that. I think these parts reduce the maintenance and last longer than stock stuff. I have no inclination to do any performance mods to my scoot as it performs just the way I like it. - And yes I still have the stock tires on my scoot - when they wear out I'll buy a set of Michelins for it.
    Racers usually do not go for reliability and regularly blow up their bikes so I would not view them as the model for a frugal scooter owner who is looking for low maintenance and long term reliability. Racers many times view a scooter as a disposable commodity since they can be had at a fraction of the cost of a motorcycle while dedicated scooter street riders see them as economical daily fun transportation that can serve them well for many years.

We are both street riders and not racers so we go with what works best for the roads we travel. A 250cc scooter that in basically stock trim will break the posted speed limit of every road where I live, go fast enough to get your license pulled especially with the addition of Sliders and a Puig Sport Fairing and will still be low maintenance along with highly reliable is just about perfection for most of us street riders.

High grade synthetic lubes, quality filters and following the maintenance schedule is a key component to it all. The only extra maintenance I would recommend though is checking/cleaning the Engine Air and CVT Air filter at least twice as often as whats stated in the manual as engines need to easily breath in clean air and the CVT needs a good flow of clean air to keep it cool and promote long belt and component life.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillored View Post
    hmmm... so you are a MV'er...lol. Explain to me how your finely tuned senses can tell that an iridium plug fires better than a standard?? I hope for your safetys sake you at least gear up while riding those garbage tires.

Where in my post did you read anything about "racing" scooters?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    We are both street riders and not racers so we go with what works best for the roads we travel. A 250cc scooter that in basically stock trim will break the posted speed limit of every road where I live, go fast enough to get your license pulled especially with the addition of Sliders and a Puig Sport Fairing and will still be low maintenance along with highly reliable is just about perfection for most of us street riders. .
    No sure what your point is? Youre saying that adding frontal area to your scooter increases its power?? hahaha

And how did you verify the sliders are working? With a dyno?

I have no idea how the iridium plugs work differently than any other plug. But I noticed that after I installed the iridium plug the motor seemed less noisy and ran smoother than before. And yes, I wear a jacket with armor in the elbows, back and shoulder along with a full face helmet and mc boots. Just for your info, I have been riding various motorcycles and scooters since 1967, and never had an incident other than when I fell off my BMW turning into my driveway after drinking a few. I used to do hill climbing in the '60s with an old Triumph till the Checks came with those bikes made for hill climbing.
    Your post says that people racing the scoots would never put in Dr Pulley sliders. Not that I give a damn if they do or don't.
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana