Thread: 650 cube 1999. Valve adjustment

apriliaforum newb

650 cube 1999. Valve adjustment

Hello everyone !

Could someone share with the engine repair manual or procedure how to check and adjust valve? I have Service Manual for my Pegaso but there is nothing about valve adjustment..
    Can you also advise if if that loose on my timing chain is ok? I guess is not.. but i hope that loose will be removed when I start moving the engine.

Here is the link to YT ; https://youtu.be/H9v0iLg0-3M

apriliaforum Junkie
    You need the Rotax engine manual. I have the manual for the later model as a PDF, but I'm not sure if it covers your model specifically. Send me a PM and we'll find a solution.

Even if the manual is not exactly correct, full detail of the valve adjustment procedure is given, and it's the same for any of the models with the Rotax engine. If you have the hydraulic camchain tensioner, then yes the slack is OK. If you have the mechanical tensioner, then no, it needs to be adjusted... and again the detail is in the manual.

Cheers... Paul

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by tinwelp View Post
    You need the Rotax engine manual. I have the manual for the later model as a PDF, but I'm not sure if it covers your model specifically. Send me a PM and we'll find a solution.

Even if the manual is not exactly correct, full detail of the valve adjustment procedure is given, and it's the same for any of the models with the Rotax engine. If you have the hydraulic camchain tensioner, then yes the slack is OK. If you have the mechanical tensioner, then no, it needs to be adjusted... and again the detail is in the manual.

Cheers... Paul

Thank you, will PM you now.

apriliaforum newb
    BIG thank you rafto !!!

apriliaforum newb
    Check this video,it's in russian though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C8GYytRFmA

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by rafto View Post
    Check this video,it's in russian though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C8GYytRFmA

Checked already, now I know how to check and adjust valves, but Im still worry about that slack on my chain..

@tinwelp yes I have hydraulic camchain tensioner, you think that loose is ok?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Yes, within limits. The tensioner is only active when pressurised with oil, so without pressure (engine stopped) it will appear quite loose.

Cheers... Paul

apriliaforum newb
    Hmm, its a bit strange.. how now I will know when my chain is to loose? There is nothing in this manual about it.
    This hydraulic tensioner should not have some kind of flap to prevent moving back?

apriliaforum newb
    Not sure what you mean.There is a spring inside the tensioner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030300230001-29.60.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	369566
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030300230001-29.57.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	369567

apriliaforum Junkie
    There are instructions and wear limits on the bore (and piston, I think) of the hydraulic tensioner, and some detail of how to test its function. Beyond that, the only way to know if your chain is worn is to dismantle and measure it, all of which is detailed in the manual. There are also details of measuring the tensioner 'blades'.

The easiest way to know if the chain is too loose is to run the engine and if there's cam chain noise, it's too loose!

It's the same with the mechanical tensioner as there is no way to know if the tensioner is at its limit of adjustment.

So measure and adjust your valve clearances as necessary, then reassemble and run your engine to check for noise.

Cheers... Paul

apriliaforum newb
    I welcome colleagues :-) I am from Poland and I can not find an answer on any of our forums. what should be valve clearance for pegaso after 96, mine is 2000 carburetor. In the manual I have given 0.1 intake 0.15 exhaust. manual from the older model gives for both 0.1 to 0.19 and the forch writes differently. I'm sorry for the language but I write via Google because my English would not be enough

apriliaforum Junkie
    0.10mm to 0.19mm inlet and exhaust (shims);
    0.07mm to 0.10mm CENTRE inlet (screw).

Cheers... Paul