Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bats Aprilia RS50 “twinturba”

Quote Originally Posted by mattology View Post
    how did you get rossi in a bay area two stroke long sleeve?!?
    Rossi loves the wild and brutally powerful two-stroke so when he saw the Bats “faaaaack”
    Jenius Biker Blog

Current:Versys,Newd, TT, Max, Nastro, Rojo, Bangkok, 85 ADV

Past:Typhoon, NCXD, 2X RC390’s, Madass, PW50, KTM BR 65, Aprilia BR50, 2X Aprilia RS125’s, DRD, WR250X, 7X Derbi SM's, 10x Aprilia RS50's, 2x Derbi GPR, 2x Aprilia RS250, 2X Mito, 2X NSR50R, NS50, HRC RS125, HRC RS80, YSR63 (1st 2stroke!), FZ600, KLR250(1st Bike!)

I Need Parts!

lol that is awesome.

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

With TT running, and a couple of Heat cycles done, I’m anxious to ride it. The problem is I have a long list of odds and ends to finish up before riding.

First Is removing the front forks to replace the leaky seals and change the fluid.

Forks off with seals ready for a refresh.

Fork work is an oily mess so I didn’t get too many pics of this process. First up was taking apart the fork, draining the old oil, and removing the old seals.

With the old oil and seals gone, the tube gets a fine grit, cross hatch, clean up to remove nicks and promote sealing.

New seal and dust boot slides on and everything goes back together.

Next up was removing the rear swingarm to install the super sweet Xero spool mounts.

Get to use my new swingarm tool! It’s available for any of you Bats to use on your projects, just hit me up via PM!

Need a 22mm socket for the bolt.

Since the wheels had to come off for the fork and swingarm stuff, I took the time to get to the bottom of a slow leak on the front tire, swapping in the gold valve stems, and balancing both wheels. These are really important to solve now since TT will be capable of a very high rate of speed once on the road.

Tire off and gold stems mounted.

Found whats causing the leak, needed a little sanding.

All back together and getting balanced.

Almost ready to mount. First I measured the rotor bolts and ordered the appropriate length Ti replacements.

Rear needed a bit of cleaning so off came the rotor and sprocket. Same measure and order of Ti bolt replacements for both. I also have something special on the way for the Sprocket setup!

I will start the process of putting everything back together this weekend and get one step closer to riding TT!
    Jenius Biker Blog

Past:Typhoon, NCXD, 2X RC390’s, Madass, PW50, KTM BR 65, Aprilia BR50, 2X Aprilia RS125’s, DRD, WR250X, 7X Derbi SM's, 10x Aprilia RS50's, 2x Derbi GPR, 2x Aprilia RS250, 2X Mito, 2X NSR50R, NS50, HRC RS125, HRC RS80, YSR63 (1st 2stroke!), FZ600, KLR250(1st Bike!)

I Need Parts!

Whittled the list down significantly this weekend.
    After finishing the fork seals and oil change, I decided to get some black enamel to give them a more uniform look to the bike theme. Dank taught me to spend time on the prep so I tried my best, but I’m not the best painter.

After cleanup, acouple coats of black enamel.

Side by side transformation pic.

Finished off with some fresh gold Ergal.

With the color change complete it was time to pair them up with the carbon fiber fender and more gold ergal hardware.

With the front done, it was time to get the rear buttoned up. Since the forks got a coat of black enamel the swingarm got the same. I would have powdercoated, but my longterm plan is to replace it with the RS4 version so the black enamel will serve just fine in the meantime. Clean up was a little more involved on the swingarm since it had quite a few nicks and scrapes. I filled in any that went down to the metal with primer and the enamel paint pen before sanding everything down prior to painting the whole thing.

Hanging in the bat cave after a few coats.

Once the enamel dried it was time to install the spool mounts Xero made for us.

Couldn’t find spools I was 100% happy with, but these will do once I replace the bolts.

Ready to swing!

A couple really nice custom made pieces sent to us by Xero, along with more Ti hardware, and a new swingarm nut to finish it off. Big thanks to Xero for all the sweet goodies!

Almost done here, just waiting for my custom 415 setup a little more Ti!

Starting to look like a TT racer!

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

The RS125 top triple clamp need some modification to properly fit the RS50 ignition without hitting the frame. This was a major hurdle to get over as I didn’t want to ride it on the street without a properly mounted ignition nor did I want to hot wire. I contemplated an RFID setup briefly, but since I need the key for the gas tank and seat it made more sense to properly fit the ignition.

First step was removing the old ignition loop from the triple, making a template and measuring the nessasary clearance. Clamped it in my vise and hacked it off.

Carboard template and measurements action

Dropped off @ CN Racing and a couple days later I had this!

Finished off with a little more Ergal and Ti hardware on the upper and lower triple clamps.

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Fantastic build. Keep up the good work!

More goodies for the TT build! If you’re interested in how much weight is being saved on TT just check out my Aprilia RS50 Weight Reduction Thread

First up was the S3 rear rotor that was first ordered by Vaperson for the Marco and I was so awestruck that I had to get one too! It was amazing that this thing came all the way from Austrailia in only a week!

SBS with the old stocker

Mounted up with some nice new Ti bolts!

The next mod is something I’ve been looking to upgrade ever since buying my second Cagiva Mito that came with a bunch of SP kit parts including a 415 conversion kit. This is not cheap and is totally custom made so I don’t expect to see many others out there. Interestingly enough, the single sided swingarm pre ‘99 RS50 came with a 415 setup so front sprockets are easy enough to source for those of you looking to put together a conversion.

420 counter next to the new 415 counter

Super light rear sprocket installed with new Ti bolts and wave washers. I’m not sold on the wave washer just yet so I will probably change them out for drilled bolts and safety wire instead.

Front sprocket mounted up.

Gold DID 415 ERZ racing chain has enough tensile strength for much bigger bikes.

Drivetrain ready to roll!

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

With TT in the home stretch, I spent some time tying up some loose ends.

The DMV “challenge” complete and TT is registered for road use. It’s sadly been 10 years since TT has roamed the roads of California.

Couldn’t find the “rubber band” that holds the battery in place and sadly this is no longer available from Aprilia. After searching I found one for a challenge cup RS250 and remember that the Cup RS250 I owned used a similar size battery so took a chance and ordered. It fits and holds the battery in place so problem solved. Here is a pic of the part and part number in case you are in need of one yourself.

Since I finished the 415 conversion last time in the shop, I could install the front sprocket cover with gold Ergal bolts and also swapped the stator cover bolts from red to gold.

Next up was the rear brake caliper. Since I had swapped in the S3 Performance rotor, I wanted to be sure that the pads were up to the job.

Turns out I had already swapped the pads to Ferodo Sintered at some point so I kept them in there.

Since I had the caliper off and had ordered a few extra Ti drilled bolts I swapped those out before reinstalling.

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

I love gold chains. There’s just something so “professional racing team” about them. I also like fancy hardware but it’s so easy to get carried away. The costs add up quick and I hate mismatched hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
    I love gold chains. There’s just something so “professional racing team” about them. I also like fancy hardware but it’s so easy to get carried away. The costs add up quick and I hate mismatched hardware.
    I’m past the point of carried away with TT

The costs have been ridiculous over the last 20 years of evolution with my personal RS50. Do Not Try This at Home
    Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Quote Originally Posted by twinturba View Post
    The costs have been ridiculous over the last 20 years of evolution with my personal RS50. Do Not Try This at Home
    LMFAO

That is the understatement of the year ...
    Looking GREAT !!!
    Wishing I had the time to keep up !!!
    XERO

only thing i would change is get rid of the ergal/aluminum on the pinch bolts for the fork, and replace with titanium.. other than that i love it

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mattology View Post
    only thing i would change is get rid of the ergal/aluminum on the pinch bolts for the fork, and replace with titanium.. other than that i love it
    I might swap them out eventually, but they torqued to 10NM and Pro-Bolt says the bolts are 10NM capable.

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Swapped out the Sprocket bolts for drilled Ti and safety wired together. Haven’t done it in a while so hopefully this keeps everything in place. During the 8 hour endurance race we ran back in 2013, the sprocket bolts overcame the wave washers and came loose so I’m hoping this solves the problem.

Also safety wired the rear caliper bolts. Will probably be swapping the front caliper bolts to these type and safety wire too.

Next up was swapping out the Cagiva Mito front master for the R6 with ASV lever and Rizoma res.

Quick bleed with the mini Craftsman bleeder wrench and it’s ready for action!

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Spent a little time at the shop tying up loose ends on TT and it’s now ready to leave the table for its maiden voyage!

Jenius Biker Blog

I Need Parts!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast