Thread: North of England - Wheel Building

apriliaforum prov-nov

North of England - Wheel Building

When I was washing the Capo last week I noticed one of the spokes in the front wheel sticking out through a hole in the front disc. I thought that I heard something go 'plink' on a ride a few days before - oops! I know that there is a guy who comes recommended in Devon who builds these kind of tubeless wheels. The wheel seems generally okay, though one or two of the spokes either side of the missing one do offer a duller sound than they should when tapped with a spanner. I have got hold of some spare spokes, nipples and dowels via a supplier - is there anyone in the North that could attempt inserting the new spoke and tightening the others? I've tried to extract the old nipple but it's seized solid with rust, even after a dousing with GT85 won't budge a milli. Might have to invest in some maul grips. I suspect that the other nipples on the front wheel are in a similar state; nipples in rear wheel in a much better cond thanks to regular dousings with Scottoil. Wheel still seems fairly true as a whole, but i don't want to ride it too much in its current state. Thanks in advance for any leads.

There is a grub screw in the end of the nipple which may hamper removal, although i think its there to lock the spoke tension. You may need to punch the nipple out from the hub side if its really stuck.
    08 ETV 1000 Caponord
    Multistrada 1200
    Honda PCX125 - Just for fun.
    CRF250L - LRP.

When I did my wheels I had ss nipples made as it's the only bit that's crap

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks guys. I'll have a go at bashing the nipple out with a hammer when I'm next at home - my favourite way of fixing machinery. I hope it works out better than my previous work on the bike with this tool. S steel nipple rebuild for the whole wheel would be nice, but I'd probably go there only if the whole wheel was irrecoverably knackered - if i do I'll make sure every surface is doused with GT85 and / or grease before assembly. I have mortally rounded off the grub screw with my allen key wrench, so some form of brute force will be required now I think, cheers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Krooko View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll have a go at bashing the nipple out with a hammer when I'm next at home - my favourite way of fixing machinery. I hope it works out better than my previous work on the bike with this tool. S steel nipple rebuild for the whole wheel would be nice, but I'd probably go there only if the whole wheel was irrecoverably knackered - if i do I'll make sure every surface is doused with GT85 and / or grease before assembly. I have mortally rounded off the grub screw with my allen key wrench, so some form of brute force will be required now I think, cheers ...
    Drill down the middle of the Allen screw that's how I got some of mine out

Have you tried a spare torx drive?
    My name is Dave,
    bike's name is Black Betty.

When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then.

Caponord - Douglas Dragonfly - 1942 Harley back again
    Pegaso - Matchless G3LS - BSA A7SS - 1942 Harley - Matchless G80/600cc - Matchless G3LS - BSA C15 - Velocette

Quote Originally Posted by Krooko View Post
    Thanks guys................ I'd probably go there only if the whole wheel was irrecoverably knackered - ...
    Have PM'd you.
    (2003 Infinity Blue Capo) - Leo Vince x3 Cans/K&N Air filter/Snorkle-less/Catfish Map/ZX-6R FH016 Mosphet Rectifier/Front Coils re-located/Metal Fuel CRC Fixings/Brown Connector-less/Hyperpro Springs F&R/Rear Hugger/R&G Heated Grips/Krauser Alloy Panniers/Givi G45 Box/BMW GS1150 HandGuards with Touratech Extensions/Kawasaki Z1000 Mirrors/CREE LED's/Wilks Raid Rep Sump Guard & aprilia Crash Bars + Lots of Stickers..
    (2004 BMW R1150 RT) Bigger touring screen, headlight protector & aftermarket reflective decals.
    (1990 Kawasaki ZZ-R 1100C1) Remus Innovation S/S Full System, Double Bubble Screen, ZXR750 full lift Carbtops & RenTec rack.
    (1997 Kawasaki KLR 650 C3) In Kwacker Green.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks again for the tips. Will have another go at the seized nipple with a torx drive, having bought a set for my SEAT car, hadn't thought of that and a drill - failing that it'll be maul grips or the hammer. The episode has reminded me of the need to tap around the spokes with a spanner after every long ride to see if any are failing to give a proper ring - this way I'll hopefully spot any issues before spokes end up lodged in my front disc again. Next year I may be taking a trip to Devon if more intervention is required ...